PDA

View Full Version : Rant/Discussion thread - Searching

Zdster
13-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Why are people on this forum to lazy to read the stickies/use the search button/pick up the phone and make a phone call???

I appreciate we have a noob forum and we are likely to get questions that have been asked before, but why are people so lazy that they cant do any research of there own?

There is lots of good threads here with answers to the common issues/problems and there are lots of stickies, yet we continue to get people asking questions that have been answered or are easily answered by doing a quick search on google. The other thing I dont get is why cant people pick up the telephone and make a phone call to a shop and ask a price? Rather than make a few phone calls and find out pricing they come here and post . . .

There is also lots of hearsay on here (ie a mate of a mate told me that XX is not legal). Again, a quick search of most road authorities websites can clear the answer up. I do understand if someone comes on here after trying to search and still cant find the answer, yet people have become so lazy that they would rather post up here first and get someone else to try and do the research for them.

Guess I am just going to have to continue using my gif:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/u416047/search.gif

/end rant

Anybody have any thoughts?

dsp26
13-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Why are people on this forum to lazy to read the stickies/use the search button/pick up the phone and make a phone call???

I appreciate we have a noob forum and we are likely to get questions that have been asked before, but why are people so lazy that they cant do any research of there own?

There is lots of good threads here with answers to the common issues/problems and there are lots of stickies, yet we continue to get people asking questions that have been answered or are easily answered by doing a quick search on google. The other thing I dont get is why cant people pick up the telephone and make a phone call to a shop and ask a price? Rather than make a few phone calls and find out pricing they come here and post . . .

There is also lots of hearsay on here (ie a mate of a mate told me that XX is not legal). Again, a quick search of most road authorities websites can clear the answer up. I do understand if someone comes on here after trying to search and still cant find the answer, yet people have become so lazy that they would rather post up here first and get someone else to try and do the research for them.

Guess I am just going to have to continue using my gif:

/end rant

Anybody have any thoughts?

I agree... people are lazy and there will always be someone to answer it until they all got sick of it eventually... i just ignore stupid threads now.. couldn't be ****ed.

And the price thing, I agree.. I was thinking that after reading the 195/55/15 Bridgestone thread... dumb shits.... anti-social thing... couldn't be ****ed calling.

aaronng
13-10-2008, 09:11 AM
We have highlighted the search button, we have stickies, we have FAQs in the model sections and we have mods linking, reminding to search and closing such threads. Unfortunately, it is the mentality of some people to ask rather than search (prefer to be spoon-fed rather than help themselves).... It also has a negative impact because those new threads on the same topic will have very few responses because it has been discussed in better detail in a previous thread, so it will make the forum look unfriendly to noobs. :(

Q_ball
13-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Meh... its just human nature to be lazy...
No matter who we are, we're all lazy at some point... its in our blood.
Cant change anything there unfortunately.

trism
13-10-2008, 10:24 AM
the stickies dont stick out enough

if they were bright red and flashing, then people would look at them

if there was an index of them on the main page of the forum, not in each subsection itd be different

hopefully all of this will change when the wiki is up and running

panda[cRx]
13-10-2008, 11:37 AM

do it wyn!

Q_ball
13-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I notice that threads that contain polls are highlighted yellow, and the stickies are currently highlighted a darker shade of blue than the blue that appears underneath our posts.

I say switch these colors around,
stickies = yellow
polls = darker blue
deleted threads = red

beeza
13-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah,much needed.

wynode
13-10-2008, 08:58 PM

if there was an index of them on the main page of the forum, not in each subsection itd be different

hopefully all of this will change when the wiki is up and running

Unfortunately some people are just too lazy and the others are even lazier. Take for example the fact that newcomers can't sell items. There is bright Red text that comes up at the top of the forum index page when a newcomer logs in. Yet I still get questions from people saying "Why I can't I sell?".

Stickies should be the first thing people click on. I mean it's right there a the very top of the forum. I don't think we should have to spoon feed people. If a thread is created asking a common question then a simply replying advising users to search and closing of the thread is a good idea. Mind you this is only for common questions.

I notice that threads that contain polls are highlighted yellow, and the stickies are currently highlighted a darker shade of blue than the blue that appears underneath our posts.

I say switch these colors around,
stickies = yellow
polls = darker blue
deleted threads = red

Q, I've had a look and it is a bit of work. I'm not saying it's not possible.......it's just that it's another extra 'tweak' I have to re-apply whenever I upgrade the forums....which makes upgrades that much more difficult.

beeza
13-10-2008, 09:12 PM
True true.Human errorz...

Q_ball
14-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Q, I've had a look and it is a bit of work. I'm not saying it's not possible.......it's just that it's another extra 'tweak' I have to re-apply whenever I upgrade the forums....which makes upgrades that much more difficult.

Yeh... i thought as such.
Fair call Wyn.