View Full Version : Springs and Struts

SiGO
13-10-2008, 09:54 PM
OK,

So I've been doing a bit of reading and everyone seems to say that coilovers, no matter the manufacturer are inherently bouncy, the primary advantage being that you can adjust them.

Well I dont really think I need to be able to adjust the height of my car so what is the alternative? I'm looking for a drop of no more than 2" all round

Springs+Struts?? Is that it?

IF so, what is a good mix/price? I've heard king springs aren't the greatest? I was looking at Skunk2 for the coilovers, should I consider their spring/shock combo instead?

As for cost, I guess I dont want to spend more than $1000 all up.

Oh, I've got an EG Civic Hatch.

vinnY
14-10-2008, 12:55 AM
just to clarify
springs+shock/struts = coilover if they become a single unit
most people on the forums here refer to adjustable coilover units as just 'coilovers'

anyway if you can pickup a set of koni yellows + dc2r springs for your eg it'd probably be a real good combo for the price compared to cheap adjustable coilover units off egay and such
i'm pretty sure the combination of koni yellow lowering perches + dc2r springs(afaik are lower than a stock eg's springs would be) are more than adequate to reach your desired height

4age8u
14-10-2008, 11:12 AM
coil over sleeve

SiReal
14-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Also the shock plays a BIG part in having a great ride. Alot of people lower on springs only, with stock shocks and blame the springs for a crap ride, when obvisouly their shocks aren't performing as designed.

So... even king springs on koni shocks work quite well apparently. Its about getting a good balance of parts.

My konis have lasted 40,000kms and are still strong.

Some dont like konis but for a budget damper adjustable shock, with some second hand lowering springs, it will make a day and night improvement over the factory coilover setup.

For your 2" drop, u can get used konis + king lows. Or as vin says, DC2R springs (which are great).

VTECMACHINE
14-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Spoon springs + DC2R shocks :)

trism
14-10-2008, 12:36 PM
jsut rememebr if you go with dc2r shocks you will need to change the rear lca to dc2r/eg6

migoreng
14-10-2008, 12:46 PM
i've got kings lows on stock shocks..~1.5" drop
ride is a little stiffer but still okay. the car looks lowered and i can still get over speed humps.
my friends euro is lowered on 19s with stock shocks. bouncy like hell...

if i change to softer shocks ride comfort would be heaps better i think..but anyways for now i'm happy
when my current shocks start dying (a year or two? lol)i'll probably change over to konis..i heard i can get em for around 500-600 for 4 shocks.

SiGO
14-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

What are your thoughts of the following

Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
or
Skunk2 Lowering Springs

with Koni Yellows?

CB7_OWNER
14-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Well i cant say for your car,, but for my car(Accord 90-93).. Koni yellow coupled with Skunk2 Lowering springs is one of the best (if not best) combo.

B16bcivic
15-10-2008, 11:55 AM
go cusco, most coils works good. depends on ya taste of performance and ride. 800bucks for secondhand cusco.

Zdster
15-10-2008, 12:34 PM
coil over sleeve

Um, no.

go cusco, most coils works good. depends on ya taste of performance and ride. 800bucks for secondhand cusco.

Reading > You

Limbo
15-10-2008, 12:44 PM
coilovers were designed for track use for fast adjustment of height whilst on the race course. Of course whilst racing comfort is never a real consideration. That's why coilovers are not really that good at obsorbing the bumps for comfort.

If you want a good ride go for a good shock and spring combo.
If you want the ability to adjust height, go the coilover.

Needless to say they do vary in ride depending on brand and cost.
Also with adjustble damper coilovers, your gonna need to play with them to get your setting the way you drive. If your still a novice at it all, stick with what you have & maybe some springs then think about what you want out of the car before getting them.

Don't just go with the flow and buy a $2k coilover set. There is money better spent elsewhere

dsp26
15-10-2008, 12:53 PM
coil over sleeve

no no no... here have a read:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78645&highlight=sleeve

dsp26
15-10-2008, 01:01 PM
SiGO.. what car do you have? Coz DC2r springs offer a slight lowering from standard model (1in afaik) and slightly stiffer rates with progressive rears... going rate for them is $100 in the for sale section here.

Also since your on a budget and don't need height adjustment, then go for damp adjustable shocks for the 'fine tuning' to your tastes...

KYB AGX = ~$400 delivered to Aus
Koni Yellows = ~$600 delivered to Aus

In terms of rebound rates... have a read here, this article covers the shocks dyno results of a few different brands, interpreting them is a different story though:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78092&highlight=dyno

dude, read up on the link i posted above and study it