PDA

View Full Version : shakey steering wheel

dwn_boi
15-10-2008, 07:47 AM
My mum has a 00 civic sedan gli and yesterday while pumping up her tyres i was driving her car and OMFG her steering is shott hard.

ok the whole time while driving the steering wheel is shuddering from side to side, when i accelerate, when i brake and when i let go of the wheel n dont touch anything!! what is causing this?? its my mums car and she does alot of long dstant driving so i wanna make sure shes safe and this for sure isnt safe!

in 05 i smashed her car >_<" only the front side, which had minor damage to the suspension, like the control arm and the cv's etc needed to be replaced and its like ever since then she's had problems with her suspension/ steering wheel. these guys were so dodgy, and they were even nrma approved!! i think they've stuffed up somehow..

i was thinking if its not the suspension thats causing this, could it be sumthing has come loose in the steering colum? like a bush or sumthing?

thanks for the help guys

xx

trism
15-10-2008, 09:13 AM
first, get the wheels balanced. out of balanced wheels can cause shaking of the steering wheel

if that doesnt fix it, its prob something to do with a rotating part further in, like the CV or drive shaft. if getting a wheels balance doesnt help, maybe go see a decent mechanic

dwn_boi
15-10-2008, 09:32 AM
yea we went to Hanny's to get sumthing fixed in the suspension and shorty after, maybe like a mnth or 2 is when this shaking occured

ndeuro_
15-10-2008, 09:34 AM
wheel alignment. this happened to me when driving at highspeed. also tell them to check the toe. cost u no more than 70bux

dwn_boi
15-10-2008, 10:00 AM
yea, i'll get that checkd for her, the shaking happens even at low speeds 24/7

vinnY
15-10-2008, 10:05 AM
wheel alignment. this happened to me when driving at highspeed. also tell them to check the toe. cost u no more than 70bux

doesn't wheel balance cause the shaking?
wheel alignment helps you preserve tyre life and steering feel but afaik it won't make the car shake

Eddie
15-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Check your Hub and rota

if it's loose... then you might find your problem

EG5
15-10-2008, 01:25 PM
loose wheel nuts ?
wheel balancing came off ?

YaMiKaZe
15-10-2008, 10:48 PM
yeah check the wheel nuts as yonas said.
its happened to me before, it was the shaking steering wheel and a knocking noise constanly whilst driving

dwn_boi
15-10-2008, 10:50 PM
thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it, it helps to have a lil insig on what the problems may be before going into the mechanics :D thnks heaps will keep updated

nd55
16-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Are you using aftermarket wheels?

Have you got the right hub-centric rings fitted?
They can also cause these issues.

Nick.

dwn_boi
16-10-2008, 02:10 PM
ya standard wheels

kenske
29-10-2008, 09:51 PM
hey im new and dont know much about anything car related... but ive experienced this too after sliding into a gutter and killing my front left rim axle etc.
i put in stock wheels at the front and fixed all the damaged goods and driving it a few days/weeks later i felt the shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds then eventually at low speeds too. i thought it was wheel balancing was off but it turned out to be the re-tread had a hole or dent in it!
****ing bro couldnt spend an extra $10 for new tyres....

ndeuro_
29-10-2008, 11:07 PM
get wheel alignment. tell them to look at the toe. must be ur control arm. tell em to check that too. go to pedders actually

werks
30-10-2008, 01:09 AM
could be a warped wheel.
happened to me,
shook really bad at even 40km/h.