PDA

View Full Version : Pod Filter Law

saikou27
15-10-2008, 08:03 PM
hey guys sorry if this has been asked but its just so confusing and i cant get any straight answers. Are pod filters illegal in victoria? im on my P's and dont fancy a defect or fine any time soon. does anybody know?

Louis - Type S
15-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Im not 100% sure so correct me if im wrong but i think pod filters are illegal in QLD, NSW and Vic if they are not contained in a closed off box and must be secured down.

Example Gruppe M air box with pod inside is not illegal.

Had a mate done in QLD for having a pod without it being in a closed off box. 3 points and a $200 fine. Cop was a prick

trism
15-10-2008, 08:35 PM
iirc

QLD and NSW the filter needs to be fully enclosed

vic the filter jsut needs to be secured ie bolted to somethng

TONTON
16-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Just make an enclosed box anyways... cold air FTW

you dont wanna suck up hot air...unless you wanna save fuel...

mars_panas
16-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes they are illegal.... unless its properly covered...

dsp26
16-10-2008, 11:47 AM
hey guys sorry if this has been asked but its just so confusing and i cant get any straight answers. Are pod filters illegal in victoria? im on my P's and dont fancy a defect or fine any time soon. does anybody know?

why don't you rig up VIC Roads and find out from the people who know for sure since the rules are theirs?

Zdster
16-10-2008, 11:50 AM
why don't you rig up VIC Roads and find out from the people who know for sure since the rules are theirs?

You mean he should do some work himself and not rely on third party hearsay??? :shock:

twing
16-10-2008, 12:10 PM
read through epa note regarding intake:
http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf

please use search 'pod filter' as well as it's been covered:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96055

dsp26
16-10-2008, 12:15 PM
You mean he should do some work himself and not rely on third party hearsay??? :shock:

lawl.. you shoulda just replied with this:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41413

Gio
16-10-2008, 03:05 PM
shld be in noob forum too

saikou27
16-10-2008, 05:37 PM
well i did did speak with vic roads and they werent sure. i was just wondering becasuse im on my P's. i have a custom cai which is a simple black pipe with the pod behind the front bumper out of view. sorry guys i shoulda put this in the noob forum but i own a civic and i started the thread here just as a habbit. sorry

mocchi
16-10-2008, 06:45 PM
u asked vicroads and they werent sure? maybe u asked the stupid chicks that knows nothing works at reception and doesnt care about you :p

as far as i know they are legal if it is dry filter type. oiled type must be enclosed.

saikou27
16-10-2008, 07:44 PM
yeah probally lol. my mates reckon ill be allright cause the pods outa sight in the guard behind the front bumper. what do u guys think?

trism
16-10-2008, 08:47 PM
doesnt make a diff where it is

it could be in the boot, but if its not enclosed, its illegal

Sydsyd
16-10-2008, 08:48 PM
i got pulled over by a cop for random inspection, cop saw my engine bay, saw my ghetto CAI (pod hidden behind bumper), all fine:)

trism
16-10-2008, 08:57 PM
yeah, i had a mate pulled over in a skyline, with open pod, BOV venting to atmosphere, and the cop didnht say shit

some are jsut retarded lol

eg5civic
16-10-2008, 09:59 PM
yeah, i had a mate pulled over in a skyline, with open pod, BOV venting to atmosphere, and the cop didnht say shit

some are jsut retarded lol

Maybe some are just nice

no retarded... i'm saying this cause thye aren't all out to get enthusiasts...i had a radar cop help me fight a speeding ticket where the radar a bit suss( revenue raising, 300 snaps in 5 hrs working out to 1 car speeding per minute)...

So don't go saying they are assholes/retards...

MZ3
16-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Hmm

I have a cold air in my car and i put a heat shield made of sheet metal. it covers mostly the top of the filter + a lil on the side to protect it from water. If you look down through the gaps in the engine bay, u can see the shield covering all =) [mines a mazda 3 though]

xtc.thai
16-10-2008, 11:13 PM
1. Intake systems
Intake systems are designed to ensure that the
correct air/fuel ratio is available to the engine for the
cleanest burn to minimise exhaust emissions.

Systems that provide excess air or fuel can create
high exhaust emissions from the vehicle. Fuel or
other hydrocarbon vapour that escapes as
evaporative emissions can lead to the formation of
photochemical smog.

Replacement air cleaners are permitted provided
that they have all connections and systems present
on the original air cleaner and operate in an
identical manner.

(a) Open element or pod type air cleaners on
carburetted vehicles are not permitted.

(b) Dry element pod type air cleaners are
permitted on EFI vehicles. Oiled, oil-soaked or
fluid-treated elements are not permitted. Any
sensors integral to the original system must
be retrofitted to the same approximate
location.

there u go. taken from link given by twing

Limbo
17-10-2008, 02:03 PM
yep as above.
Most cops don't know the correct rules.
You can have an exposed pod so long as it does not add to increase the noise level above ADR standards.

Cops don't know any better and they say that its illegal, especially if they are out to get you.

I had a fight with the cops over this matter cos i got defected. When they are covering for their own, they will pull the "its not standard" and needs to be engineered.

They seem to forget that there is an owner modifications, which are allowed by ADR standards.

But arguing only means giving up you time to go to traffic court. Out of sight will usually keep them away.

kraiye
17-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe some are just nice

no retarded... i'm saying this cause thye aren't all out to get enthusiasts...i had a radar cop help me fight a speeding ticket where the radar a bit suss( revenue raising, 300 snaps in 5 hrs working out to 1 car speeding per minute)...

So don't go saying they are assholes/retards...

I had a decepticon badge on the back. The cop car behind me pulled up next to me at the lights and started making transformer noises over the loud speaker!!!
LMFAO
Some are cool, some are c**ts... just like all types of ppl

mocchi
17-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I had a decepticon badge on the back. The cop car behind me pulled up next to me at the lights and started making transformer noises over the loud speaker!!!
LMFAO

LOL thats cool ass! haha

BNK
17-10-2008, 06:39 PM
LMFAO

LOL

true, some cops could just be d**kheads e.g. one of my mate got pulled over by an undercover pol pol who drove a holden ute and he was tailgating my mate; of course my mate can just change lane but he decided to accelerate more and then... yeh.

but then other cops could be nice, once i got pulled over for speeding a bit @ 3 in the morning (losing concentration cause i was sleepy) and they just gave me a verbal warning to make sure i don't fall asleep and kill myself

anyway back to the topic, i personally would do it as long as it doesn't make the noise of the car louder so the pol pol wouldn't notice it i guess

trism
17-10-2008, 06:49 PM
LOL

true, some cops could just be d**kheads e.g. one of my mate got pulled over by an undercover pol pol who drove a holden ute and he was tailgating my mate; of course my mate can just change lane but he decided to accelerate more and then... yeh.

this happened to my mate a week or so ago. he was in a skyline, a commo ute tailgated him, instead of pulling over, he boot the boot in, then up came the cop car from behind, let the ute go. obviously baited him

but ive been driving my car around for teh past 3-4 weeks only 8cm off teh ground, with the exhaust practically hitting, and kicking up sparks over every bump, and i havnt heard a peep, even though ive been sitting at the lights next to them in it

saikou27
17-10-2008, 08:57 PM
thanks heaps guys :)

RandyRhydah
19-10-2008, 11:31 AM
just a word from me. in queensland you are aloud an open pod filter aslong as its secure and not just flopping about in the engine bay.

d15z1SUX
19-10-2008, 12:44 PM
im in WA my pod filter on my stock piping was allowed at the pits lol.