PDA

View Full Version : reccomendation for sparkplugs..

Reijiro
05-11-2003, 01:19 AM
what are good spark plugs?

SiR
05-11-2003, 03:38 AM
NGK and Spitfire are meant to be good.

Setanta
05-11-2003, 06:44 AM
Never use Champion or Bosche (sp?) in a Honda - I've always had problems with them cracking or fouling. NGK is the only way to go IMO.

BLKCRX
05-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Only u se BKR6e-11 if your NA !! use BKR7r-11 if ya have a turbo honda, replace them every 5000km and your will never run better !!!

All this talk about platinum and special plugs blah blah is all crap coper is the worlds BEST conductor even better than gold its just doesn’t last as long... so simply replace them more often. BKR plugs are around 2.5$ so it won't break the bank buying some every few weeks...
Don’t believe all the rice crap, regarding special plugs costing like 20$ a plug !! HA HA don’t be lazy change back to copper and replace them more often.

Regards James

Civic Si
05-11-2003, 09:38 AM
NGK Iridiums are good. Expensive though.. :)

BLKCRX
05-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Iridium’s are still a waste of money go COPER !! and replace them more often !! sure a iridium plug might last 100,000 km but pff when does it stop working at its best !! hmm after 5000km ! ;)

Regards James

fueltank
05-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Iridium’s are still a waste of money go COPER !! and replace them more often !! sure a iridium plug might last 100,000 km but pff when does it stop working at its best !! hmm after 5000km ! ;)

Regards James

so they stop working their best after 5,000km's?
If they provide such little benefit after 5,000km's then why are the on the market?
Why does some of the top drag cars use them?

toE
05-11-2003, 12:21 PM
James, what's this BKR spark plugs you talking about??

Where can we get dem from??

BLKCRX
05-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Show me a top drag cat that use's Iridium’s, there electrode's are so small when heated up especially in racing and even on the dyno !!! they tend to break and cause massive engine damage !! iv seen this happen first hand !!

Product code is NGK BKR6e-11 (for NA) or NGK BKR7e-11 if ya boosted or drive hard around a race track.

Above 15psi of boost I recommend RS-8 plug range from NGK.
Again all these plugs are coper plugs !! coper the best known conductor of electricity. Why would you wanta use anything else !!

Regards James

Weq
05-11-2003, 12:41 PM
ummm factory specs state DENSO or NGK. What plugs u require should either be in the user manual/print on cambelt cover OR just rock upto a honda dealer and give em ur car model/year. ONLY use DENSO or NGK.

Reijiro
05-11-2003, 10:08 PM
i heard the NGK's alone can add about 10-25kw... true or false?

BKR6e-11..?? is that NGK? and do u mean $$2.50 thats pretty cheap!.. and yeah james where can we get these? what would happen if i didnt feel like changing them after 5000km haha? bad or good? thanks guys for all the input!

RAYTDR
05-11-2003, 11:27 PM
10-25kw

WTF :shock:
who told u that :lol:

Reijiro
06-11-2003, 12:03 AM
this guy i met at the motor show haha im like wtf.. and im paying what.. 1000+ for headers just to get atleast an extra 10+

BLKCRX
06-11-2003, 07:49 AM
u can use the plugs longer than 5000km won't do much apart from effect 1 - 3% performace..... if your after peak power all the time change ya plugs !

Regards James

fueltank
06-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Show me a top drag cat that use's Iridium’s, there electrode's are so small when heated up especially in racing and even on the dyno !!! they tend to break and cause massive engine damage !! iv seen this happen first hand !!

Product code is NGK BKR6e-11 (for NA) or NGK BKR7e-11 if ya boosted or drive hard around a race track.

Above 15psi of boost I recommend RS-8 plug range from NGK.
Again all these plugs are coper plugs !! coper the best known conductor of electricity. Why would you wanta use anything else !!

Regards James

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catalogue/e230_drag.html
http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catalogue/e231_d1gp.html

They are just two.
HKS drag car uses Iridiums too, I'm still trying to find it in print on their website for you.

EDIT: selecting the wrong heat range will cause the tips to break.

AP1 F20c
06-11-2003, 10:42 AM

Don't believe everything you read and what people tell you. Good plugs will give you better throttle acceleration, as for increasing power ... It's insignificant to even discuss that. I hope this helps. Any Iridium type plugs will suit your application use. NGK and Denso are two common JDM manufacturers who make Iridium plugs.

fueltank
06-11-2003, 11:14 AM

Don't believe everything you read and what people tell you. Good plugs will give you better throttle acceleration, as for increasing power ... It's insignificant to even discuss that. I hope this helps. Any Iridium type plugs will suit your application use. NGK and Denso are two common JDM manufacturers who make Iridium plugs.

if you get significant power increase with new plugs then it prolly means your old ones were way past their due date :!:

BLKCRX
06-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Show me a race drag honda using Iridium...

Regards James

AP1 F20c
06-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Last time I checked, these aren't 100% off-road drag combat vehicles. Instead, day to day commuters. What are you expected to use with street driven cars then? I for one like to know why everything needs to be bias to race-spec conditions when 90% of these cars won't even see a closed circuit timed event. :roll:

RAYTDR
06-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Hey James so if u track ur car u would go the NGK BKR7e-11 :?:

Also are sparkplugs easy to install cus some1 was telling me about spacing. Im not good with this shit hehehe :?

poid
06-11-2003, 01:48 PM
They are dead easy to install. The BKR7E-11's should be pregapped to the right specs from the factory (though depends on the car, and i cant remember what the correct gap is for civic's), but all you do is get a set of feeler gauges and check that the gap specified in your vehicle's manual is what is on the plug (the gap is the space between the electrode and the steel loop thingy).

If that is right, chuck em in, thats all there is to it. Often guys dont even bother checking the gap on plugs that have the correct gap from the factory, they just chuck em in :wink:

IMO as long as the plugs are good quality and give a good spark thats that. The NGK's are well known to be good plugs for Hondas, and personally stuff like iridium plugs and the like are unecessary as they wont be giving any real performance increase over a correctly chosen BKR-type copper plug.

After all, we are driving street Hondas here. Not like they are on the ragged edge and need even the spark to be perfect over the whole life of the plug, or that a special plug type is required.

RAYTDR
06-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the reply poid.

Also does Sparkplug leads make a difference cus i was thinking of getting a set of NGK for my Civic.

Thanks,
Matt :)

fueltank
06-11-2003, 04:05 PM
BKR7E-11's = Heat Range of 7 pre gapped @ 1.1mm

James, you have PM ;)

http://www.automotivearticles.com/get.php?action=getarticle&articleid=18

BLKCRX
06-11-2003, 04:31 PM
When running low boost on Honda's I use BKR7e-11 which are heat range 7 and yeah 1.1 pre gapped you don't need to regap these if you buy BKR7e's without the (-11) bit you need to gap them.

On my car i use R5671A-8 and -9 plugs these are the only plugs that hold 25 - 40psi of boost, but your lucky if you get 2000km out of these plugs. Again these are copper plugs for racing only.

The type of plug can also depend on your ignition setup... either way i say copper all the way, iv had 100's of hours on dyno's testing plugs plus lots of race track time and drag stip time, copper is a great solution if replaced offen.

To replace plugs takes like 5min tops !! so its something we should all do !!
Copper is the best conductor of electricity so why use any other type ?

Regards James

fueltank
06-11-2003, 04:34 PM
James,
Just curious what you gap your 8 and 9 plugs :?:

BLKCRX
06-11-2003, 04:36 PM
As for leads making a difference, the whole idea of the ignition setup is to provide spark to light the fuel, the more efficient way you delivery spark the better the burn, thus better performance, but when you start talking about differences such as spark plug wire thickness i can't see this playing a major roll. Yes if your old plug leads and crap and stopping some current replace them, other than that stock leads should be fine. The other problem is many after market leads don't fit 100% thus pop off 2 long / 2 short all of which can change the dynamic of your engine. If you look at the engineering that goes into a Honda compared to most other car’s you will find what Honda use is often the best solution out there !!! its not that often you need to redesign what Honda already designed….

Weq
06-11-2003, 04:43 PM
ignition leads from honda are basically the best u can get for most needs. Everything is just basically rice.. Alot of turbo honda's go out by msd etc etc and find they have ignition problems thereafter, only to be resolved when going back to stock.

BLKCRX
06-11-2003, 04:55 PM
I use a MSD 6a ignition spark amplifier in my Honda, and its defiantly not rice, burning fuel under so much boost is well something you need lots of spark from a good amplifier and good coil. But yes everything else the dizy / pickup is all stock, you simply can’t beat stock especially for NA. Hell I’m still using the stock ECU !! modified with Hondata of corse ;) I drive the car every day on 26psi starts every morning first go just like stock, drives part throttle perfectly just like stock, put your foot down on the floor and hmm hold on TIGHT !!

Regards James

Reijiro
06-11-2003, 11:20 PM
hey guys thanks for the input heaps ive learnt alot.. just another question..

what do you mean by heat? choosing the right one.. and gap? see ive never changed a sparkplug before so yeah!.. thanks again for yoru input.

07-11-2003, 05:51 AM
I think you should use what the manufacturer recommends, if you drive an early Honda then use BCPR6E-11 if it's a later one then BKR6E-11, some Honda's use ZFR plugs. We also use the R5671A-9 plugs in our drag car but you wouldn't use them on the street unless you are cranking huge HP. As for ignition, we are only using a Microtech LTX-8 and 4 bosch coils with no MSD at the moment and the thing runs very well.

Jim

ek004
07-11-2003, 08:44 AM
i agree with Jim...

whatever your little book says when you got the car should be fine...

unless you own a race car then speak to whoever built your motor, i would hope they could tell you what to do...

im off to get me some sparl plugs... :shock:

on yeah props to jim and deni at online
awesome workshop great customer service

eknine
08-11-2003, 09:23 AM
spark cable

let the search do the talking :wink:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=8680

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=3239

RAYTDR
08-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Top find eknine helped me alot, now im just going to keep my stock leads :thumbsup:

Ohh yeah, changed my plugs yesterday, i had NGK Iridium and replaced them with just normal NGK plugs and cant notice a difference.

But my pocket did $80 - $15 :lol:

BLKCRX
08-11-2003, 02:40 PM
YAY for normal copper NKG plugs ;)

Regrards James

eknine
10-11-2003, 07:50 AM
RAYTDR > :)

eknine
10-11-2003, 07:58 AM
actually don't know whats the fuss here abt the iridium or the copper.

just do what the manual says - it say somewhere if you are doing short trips than you do service at abt 5000kms or something so at the same time if you are on copper just change it- how difficult :wink:

otherwise, go iridium if you just want longer life...for something so immaterial in term of cost - what the heck.

and if i say, some like this and some like that -so platinium, iridim or copper or even gold ...honestly there is just no fuss and i'm sure there is a reason why honda even use plat leads on their CTR & ITR where as other variants just used the cops. - just do what the maunal says :arrow: so everyone is happy.