PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise

b18cfreak
17-10-2008, 06:02 AM
Hey gang, quick question to give me an idea on what i'm looking for.

1990 Integra with B18C, 17inch wheels and after market breaks slotted and dimpled.

Problem:

Ticking noise sounds like it's coming from the front driver side (gearbox side) but can't particularly say it's coming from the gear box. It can only be heard when travelling at above 40kmph, it can't be heard when decelerating. But can be heard when holding a constant speed and or accelerating.

The ticking noise gets faster the faster i go. But doesn't get louder.

Other known problems:

The front engine mount is stuffed.
The clutch slips bad and needs replacement.
Wheel alignment is out (pulls a little left).
The front driver side break is slightly warped.
Gearbox cruntches unless you shift it in a particular way.

Listed these because maybe they will fuel some suggestions.
First thing i will be doing a wheel alignment today or tomorrow.
So any suggestions as to what it may be.
I will be checking all the wheel nuts once im off work to make sure it's not something stupid like that too. Also will check tires for any nails etc when i get out too.

Thanks in advance guys.

- Scott

Q_ball
17-10-2008, 07:31 AM
My take is if you've got a stuffed mount, shit tends to move.
And when shit moves whilst you're driving, weird noises occur.

Perhaps replace the mount first?

Elwood
17-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Ticking noise can be your injectors doing there thing.... Valve lash needs adjusting??

VTECMACHINE
17-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Ticking noise can be your injectors doing there thing.... Valve lash needs adjusting??

I second this. Most like valve lash need adjusting.

Or engine is old, and pistons are moving around.

Elwood
17-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I second this. Most like valve lash need adjusting.

Or engine is old, and pistons are moving around.

Maybe the pistons got bored and decided to throw a pants party...

A-man
17-10-2008, 08:00 PM
cvs?

will it do it at idle just sitting there... free reving? if not its not engine related...

id look at the driveline... because thats whats related to speed...

engine is related to rpm thats y i rule all of the surgested things out...

aaronng
17-10-2008, 08:13 PM
The ticking noise gets faster the faster i go. But doesn't get louder.

That rules out the injectors, valve lash and engine mounts. I reckon it is a wheel bearing or CV joint if the car is lowered.

A-man
17-10-2008, 08:33 PM
thats what i said

im leaning towards cvs... there most common.. bearings make more of a squeel...

what happens at speed does ur steering wheel shake? when the noise is on?

b18cfreak
18-10-2008, 08:00 AM
hmm. Yeah the steering wheel does shake a little bit i noticed when the sound was there. When the sound isn't there tho the steering wheel is still shaking slightly.

The engine mount isn't completely ruined, it's just on the way out. But i will be replacing that today if possible.

My airconditioning clutch is stuffed too. Rattles around a bit so i'll be removing the belt for that today.

My car is stock suspension and height. Does have 17inch wheels on it tho.

CVs are new (6 months old) and the noise really doesn't sound like CVs but i will check em out. Should beable to find the issue i'm having today as i'll be at my mates shop.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i will let you all know what the issue is / was if we can find and fix it today.

aaronng
18-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Have you also balanced your wheels recently?

b18cfreak
18-10-2008, 02:23 PM
okie just got back from the shop. Machined the Breaks. They were way out. Checked the CVs they are fine. Checked wheel bearings etc. all A ok.

Cut off the A/C belt because it was worn and also because the A/C clutch was buggered in it. Did Oil change etc.

Drove the car back home (from castle hill to windsor) good 40 min drive. So far so good. Couldn't hear the ticking noise at all. My m8 the mechanic says to drive it around and keep an ear out for it as it may have been noise from the A/C compressor.

I haven't got the wheel alignment or balancing done yet. But the balancing i assume should be all good as it was done when i got the new wheels about 8 months ago. Alignment will be done during this next week tho. But yeah will see how i go. I will be able to tell on the drive to work @ 6am on Monday whether the noise is gone or not.

Will keep you all posted.

In other news while i was there i also installed my new head lights! RaWR!

http://ranthour.com/images/teg/newlights01.JPG

http://ranthour.com/images/teg/newlights02.JPG

http://ranthour.com/images/teg/newlights03.JPG

aaronng
18-10-2008, 03:03 PM
hmm. Yeah the steering wheel does shake a little bit i noticed when the sound was there. When the sound isn't there tho the steering wheel is still shaking slightly.

You need to get your wheels balanced if the shaking increases with increasing speed, even on smooth roads.

A-man
18-10-2008, 04:09 PM
it may b shaky from the brakes gripping if there warped.. that my also make the noise...

i find it a little sus being the a/c compressor im not convinced still

as for the engine mount just sikaflex it bak together its cheap and works

b18cfreak
21-10-2008, 01:06 PM
lol kk Sooooo turns out the noise that i could hear was the A/C unit. The steering moving funny was from a slight bubble formed in the front driver side tire. Got it all balanced and aligned and it's all good now. haha, knew i should have got it done ages ago when the car started pulling to the left.

Thanks again for all help and suggestions.

A-man
21-10-2008, 07:25 PM
a/c unit? what was goin on there? the belt or somethin

b18cfreak
21-10-2008, 09:34 PM
naw the clutch system was worn on the A/C and was knocking around a little bit. First i've ever heard of it but we cut the belt because my mate said if the clutch locked up it has the potential to do some awesome damage.