PDA

View Full Version : To wax it or not

tazman888
19-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought a second civic and I'm not sure the car has been given a paint protection or not.
I bought a maguire wax stuff, then suddenly my friend told me that I'm not supposed to polish my car if there is a paint protection on it?

What do you guys think about? should i polish it with maguire NX stuff or normal wash is more than enough?

Is a black vti :)

Thanks in advance

SaiHayashi
19-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought a second civic and I'm not sure the car has been given a paint protection or not.
I bought a maguire wax stuff, then suddenly my friend told me that I'm not supposed to polish my car if there is a paint protection on it?

What do you guys think about? should i polish it with maguire NX stuff or normal wash is more than enough?

Is a black vti :)

Thanks in advance
to my very limited understanding about paint protection,
it makes no sense.
they arent bulletproof and u can still scratch it (or key it)

or did ur fd mean ur not supposed to polish it the minute after u put on paint protection?

howy
19-10-2008, 01:10 PM
He's probably right.

But you can always clay bar it, and remove everything so you can do it yourself.

Shaun
19-10-2008, 01:23 PM
paint protection is a massive scam. i used to manage a carwash, i would have soccer mum rock up in her X5 or whatever and be like no i dont need polish i have paint protection...and i say look at your car woman!! you have light surface scratches everywhere and u have let bird shit bake in the sun on your bonnet which has now burned your paint!! your paint protection is doing JACK ALL!!!

so to answer your question..dont trust paint protection. yes wax your car regulary and always clean up bird shit imediatly!!

johnprocter
19-10-2008, 04:37 PM
lol whats the diff between wax and polish?

Euro08Jaz
19-10-2008, 04:39 PM
my dad car has paint protection and the paint is pristine whereas my euro which is just under a yr old is completly F*****.

g.ta
19-10-2008, 05:09 PM
lol whats the diff between wax and polish?

wax makes it smooth and polish makes it shiny

aaronng
19-10-2008, 08:47 PM
my dad car has paint protection and the paint is pristine whereas my euro which is just under a yr old is completly F*****.

Did you wash your car by sponge or by spinning roller?

Louis - Type S
19-10-2008, 10:10 PM
paint protection is a load of bull shit. for example buying a new car, it is a sales person job to sell the 'paint protection' as they get comission or have a target mark per month and get a bonus if they reach that target. they will talk it up saying and i quote 'you will never have to wax or polish your car ever again' which is totally untrue and not a magic protection barrier that they make it out to be. they are selling their/companies products which is no more than your everyday wax's and polishes that you can find in any autobarn, supercheap or repco.

if i was you id wax the car, a little more wax never hurts. if you have light surface scratches, swirls, buff marks or any other contaminants on your paint. run a clay bar over the car which removes those hard contaminates deep within the paint, then give it a polish. for deep scratches use compound polish but be careful as it is more abrasive and can scratch paint if not used correctly.

markCivicVti
19-10-2008, 11:18 PM
spent almost 5 hrs on saturday washing, polishing and waxing the car... and it looks better now than when they delivered the car new.

I tried claying the bonnet (obviousely with a quick detailer as lube)... and it felt like rubbing freakin bluetac on the bonnet... didn't notice anything different so though it a waste of time to do the rest of the car..

Shaun
19-10-2008, 11:44 PM
did you see any dirt on the clay? if there was no residue on the clay then yeh waste of time, but i remember the first time i did my car with cleaner clay then polish then wax, it was so damn shiney and slippery when i was done, throw a rag on my bonnet and it would just slide right off.

aaronng
20-10-2008, 04:30 PM
^^ Use clean car shampoo/soap solution though. The used soap has dirt in it.

markCivicVti
20-10-2008, 06:00 PM
did you see any dirt on the clay? if there was no residue on the clay then yeh waste of time, but i remember the first time i did my car with cleaner clay then polish then wax, it was so damn shiney and slippery when i was done, throw a rag on my bonnet and it would just slide right off.

Nah mate, did the bonnet, looked at the clay bar and it looked as clean as it did before I started. So I figured it wasn't worth the time... I felt stupid for rubbing what felt like bluetac over my bonnet. It was the maguires clar bar.

Shaun
20-10-2008, 06:41 PM
haha dont feel stupid! the stuff is fantastic!

liquid23
20-10-2008, 08:29 PM
hi,
just want to ask a question. sorry for using this thread, didn't want to start anther one.
I remove the Civic badge from my car and i had a different glue on it. its not grey its black (i made a boo boo n reversed into a pole 9 days after i got the car =P i was angry and didn't see the bollard). anyways got it fixed by my ex's dad's friend didn't go insurance (which i should've -_-") i didnt know how to get rid of the thick black glue so i kinda finely took it off using a sharp blade (haha i know i probably shouldn't have) and i scatched the paint a bit.
Does clay bar just fill the tiny scratch marks in the clear coat? all i have to do is just apply and polish after use?
or should i get it professionally fixed?

Shaun
20-10-2008, 09:38 PM
claybar will not help you. if the scratches are fine enough u may be able to fade them or get rid of them with polish, but at a guess seen as u did it with a blade, your prob stuck with it. next time before getting the blade out try poducts like citric cleaner, prepsol, or even heating it a bit with a hairdryer and rubbing it off depending on what kinda glue your talking bout.

liquid23
21-10-2008, 07:47 PM
ok thanks. i'll try that.
i tried heating the clumps of glue. but that didn't work it just stayed solid like a rock. no idea what he used. i so regret taking it to the panel beater to fix it instead of replacing the parts under insurance. parents friends that work in the car industry said its such a bad job he did. :(

aaronng
21-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I had luck with a random orbital, medium cut pad and some swirl remover. It took off the remaining black urethane glue that was used to hold on an aftermarket badge.

Bobjones
22-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok, well after all the dust settles, feel free to send me a PM, why...

http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6483

I am a chartered accountant, but alas during uni I lived with a couple of panel beaters and spray painters and have good mates that do detailing for a living...I just take alot in...

sydfd
25-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Guys if you are looking to buy cleaning and detailing products have a look at www.ckdirectonline.com.au

superjohny
29-10-2008, 09:42 PM
i should've read this thread before i bought my new civic last week.
i fell into trap and spent 1300 to put on so they called xpack which according to what they said "organic stuff that makes you never need to polish ur car".
So should i still polish my car like once a month or two?
and just a stupid question as i never maintain my old second hand 206, could anyone tell me the correct way to wash the car to prevent fine scratches?

aaronng
29-10-2008, 10:25 PM
and just a stupid question as i never maintain my old second hand 206, could anyone tell me the correct way to wash the car to prevent fine scratches?

Have a look in here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

happy
31-10-2008, 08:47 AM
i should've read this thread before i bought my new civic last week.
i fell into trap and spent 1300 to put on so they called xpack which according to what they said "organic stuff that makes you never need to polish ur car".
$1300. Very expensive wax

sydfd
02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Dam that is expensive wax you would almost have enough money to repaint the car again. HeHeHe

wassup
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Nah mate, did the bonnet, looked at the clay bar and it looked as clean as it did before I started. So I figured it wasn't worth the time... I felt stupid for rubbing what felt like bluetac over my bonnet. It was the maguires clar bar.

When running the claybar over the panel it will feel rough and tacky this indicates its doing its job.. youll know when the contaminants have been removed when the clay bar glides very quickly over the panel with no rough feeling... pressure does not need to be applied but there needs to be plenty of lubricant like the quick detailer or as someone mentioned, clean soapy water.

Side to side or up down motion is recommended over circular.

MrSteve
11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I paid for that paint protection too lol, now i think i got ripped tho, sucks. Anyway i can't be bothered washing my car myself, to me, a car is still acar, i generally just take it to them car cleaners, they give it a good clean inside and out for around $35, does decent enough job lol, looks the same to me. If im low on cash i take it to a do it yourself car wash, eg with the foamy brush etc, works fine.