PDA

View Full Version : Running slicks at the drag

gheybo
20-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi guys

Just have a question here, when running on slicks at the drag i know the advantage is that you get a faster time and more grip out of it. Any more advantages?

Also i heard when running on slicks there are more chances that you will break something such as the cv joint because of too much grip plus power.

Any other disadvantages beside you might break something?

Cheers

aimre
21-10-2008, 01:49 AM
You got a civic, they dont have power.....

Plus, u need to get drag slicks.... they are DIFFERENT from track slicks

dsp26
21-10-2008, 07:42 AM
^^^thats true.

and it is true that you can break things.. it's always about the weakest point...

if you get grippy tires and have a shit clutch then your clutch could become the weak point and it'll burn out.... get a good clutch then it could be your engine mounts and front suspension... stiffen those up then the next would probably be your gearset or CVs...

modifying will always be about making things work together.

Limbo
21-10-2008, 09:01 AM
You got a civic, they dont have power.....

Plus, u need to get drag slicks.... they are DIFFERENT from track slicks

Just depends on what civic you got :cool:

The other bad thing is the cost of these puppies

gheybo
21-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Just depends on what civic you got :cool:

The other bad thing is the cost of these puppies

how much do they cost?

Planning to hit WSID and wanted to run on drag slicks but heard i could damage some stuff. Let just say i have a clutch that is low on meat, and i run on drag slicks, i might break my clutch?

EG5
21-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Depending on the size or brand , Price range for drag slicks will be $250 - 300 each.

Slicks does help to get you a better ET and 60ft. I still remember back in the days with drag radial i was maxing out at high 1.7 60ft . Now Im doin around 1.65 60ft on proper slicks size.

Ive been using slicks for long time , Snapped few inner's and outer CV joints.

Basicly you need to set the car up properly , so it doesnt break your drivetrain. Launching it with the right technique helps too.

My EGK24A havent snapped any axles / CV till today , been thru alot of 7000 rpm launch abuse on slicks.

fatboyz39
21-10-2008, 10:17 PM
bogging will cause cv's to snap.

EG5
21-10-2008, 10:54 PM
bogging will cause cv's to snap.

damn right

gheybo
22-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Depending on the size or brand , Price range for drag slicks will be $250 - 300 each.

Slicks does help to get you a better ET and 60ft. I still remember back in the days with drag radial i was maxing out at high 1.7 60ft . Now Im doin around 1.65 60ft on proper slicks size.

Ive been using slicks for long time , Snapped few inner's and outer CV joints.

Basicly you need to set the car up properly , so it doesnt break your drivetrain. Launching it with the right technique helps too.

My EGK24A havent snapped any axles / CV till today , been thru alot of 7000 rpm launch abuse on slicks.

with the mods, let say I/H/E plus coilovers, would you recommend running on drag slicks? OR should i get other mods such as engine mount and other mods before i should be thinking of drag slicks?

When you mean set-up the car properly, what do you mean? like stronger engine mounts? plus other mods?

trism
22-10-2008, 10:28 PM
drag slicks will help no matter what

EG5
22-10-2008, 10:46 PM
with the mods, let say I/H/E plus coilovers, would you recommend running on drag slicks? OR should i get other mods such as engine mount and other mods before i should be thinking of drag slicks?

When you mean set-up the car properly, what do you mean? like stronger engine mounts? plus other mods?

i rather get proper engine mount 1st.
what car is this ? what motor ?

setting the car properly involves :
* choosing the right tyres
* setting the suspension set up ( height , damper , setting the traction bar etc)
* launching it at the right rpm . etc

gheybo
25-10-2008, 11:31 AM
i rather get proper engine mount 1st.
what car is this ? what motor ?

setting the car properly involves :
* choosing the right tyres
* setting the suspension set up ( height , damper , setting the traction bar etc)
* launching it at the right rpm . etc

dc2r with stock motor

*does height really affect much?
*damper, do you put the front stiff or the rear more stiffer?
* how high should you launch with street tyres compare to drag slicks?

EG5
25-10-2008, 04:15 PM
dc2r with stock motor

*does height really affect much?
*damper, do you put the front stiff or the rear more stiffer?
* how high should you launch with street tyres compare to drag slicks?

*Height will affect abit
*stiff on rear , not too soft on the front
*you cant launch at high rpm on street tyres.

Practice makes perfect , thats all I can say