PDA

View Full Version : how if possible 2 add 30kw to a d16a8 on NA

GoharD
20-10-2008, 09:19 PM
hey guys
obviously im a noob here hehe
hope u all can help as i have been trying to search n find mods for this engine and it seems abit hard to find?

im not planning to go turbo or spending too much on it but just needed abit of power to reach 100k quicker or enough to overtake.

so anyway im thinking of about 20-30kw gain?n hopefully somewhere under 5k? like higher compression pistons,camshaft, ecu if that works and where to get it?

In the past i have had an 05 corolla sportivo n im pretty happy with the power of the car for cruising n fuel efficent. so i thought if my eg with 130kw at the flywheel would b plenty as a daily since i have also got an evo 6.

any advice would b good.
thanks!

AE092
20-10-2008, 09:46 PM
have you tried down shifting a gear to overtake?

a 30kw gain D16A would see alot of headwork needed. Port and polish, cams, camshafts, exhaust and CAI would be a start. In reality an NA won't see much gains unless you turbo it or your wallet is pretty fat.

Integra89
20-10-2008, 09:48 PM
i have the same engine, all i have done is extractors and a 2 1/4 inch cat back exhaust, i pulls a bit better, not sure of the kw, if you put a K&N pannel filter you will also get a good gain, i have a massive pod n swiched to the pannel filter, made more power

hey guys
obviously im a noob here hehe
hope u all can help as i have been trying to search n find mods for this engine and it seems abit hard to find?

im not planning to go turbo or spending too much on it but just needed abit of power to reach 100k quicker or enough to overtake.

so anyway im thinking of about 20-30kw gain?n hopefully somewhere under 5k? like higher compression pistons,camshaft, ecu if that works and where to get it?

In the past i have had an 05 corolla sportivo n im pretty happy with the power of the car for cruising n fuel efficent. so i thought if my eg with 130kw at the flywheel would b plenty as a daily since i have also got an evo 6.

any advice would b good.
thanks!

vinnY
20-10-2008, 09:57 PM
if you're willing to spend $5k on mods can i suggest maybe drop in a b18c2 motor?
can probably have one installed for about $5k and will be worlds better than a modded up d16a8 to be honest

let us know your location and i'm sure some of the boys here will be able to help you out

g.ta
20-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I/H/E
Intake, headers and exhaust

Get a CAI like injen or aem, 4-1 racing headers, full exhaust or 2.25" mandrel bent cat-back system.

bigger throttle body with ported intake manifold to match, stage 1 cams with piggy back ecu and a good tune.

GoharD
20-10-2008, 10:08 PM
yeh?
im not sure wat exhaust i got, i think its a catback 2,1/4 as weo coz im sure its a stock headers for sure and some saas? pod air intake filter.

thing is i couldnt find many camshaft for this engine and even if i do custom make a bigger cam does it require an aftermarket ecu? how about hc pistons does it have to work with a new crank? i think cams, pistons would probably gain at least 15kw? hrmm mayb the question is if its worth the money.

anyway anymore suggestions?
thanks guys

GoharD
20-10-2008, 10:14 PM
yeh i was thinking of a cheap b18c2, but just wondering wats the different in weight to the d16a8?
im in melb.
u wrkn all up halfcut,labor n all the legal issues under 5k?

Jarkz
20-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Both AKmotorworks & modproject are down here in melb, speak with them.

Elwood
20-10-2008, 10:31 PM
You will soon learn my friend.. That +30fwkw is alot..

g.ta
20-10-2008, 11:25 PM
From your profile is says you have a EG Si? Si's run ZC engines not D16a?

JDM.Power
20-10-2008, 11:29 PM
From your profile is says you have a EG Si? Si's run ZC engines not D16a?

zc are jdm d16a8 are audm

AE092
21-10-2008, 12:30 AM
thing is i couldnt find many camshaft for this engine and even if i do custom make a bigger cam does it require an aftermarket ecu? how about hc pistons does it have to work with a new crank? i think cams, pistons would probably gain at least 15kw?

If you get an aggressive cams then you'll need an aftermarket ECU or a piggy back unit at the least to make sure it idles correctly. Even then thats half your budget for minimal gains.

h/c pistons to next to nothing in terms of overall power. They are on the reliability side of things unless you are going to a stroker kit. Thats all your budget and alot of bending over too.

Stick to down shifting a gear (or 2)

VTECMACHINE
21-10-2008, 12:44 AM
You will soon learn my friend.. That +30fwkw is alot..

This here is the answer to his problems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-HONDA-PRELUDE-BB1-SPOON-ECU-CHIP-JDM-P13-H22-H22A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ016QQite mZ260301661622QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

aimre
21-10-2008, 01:45 AM
30kw???

turbo

vinnY
21-10-2008, 10:39 AM
In the past i have had an 05 corolla sportivo n im pretty happy with the power of the car for cruising n fuel efficent. so i thought if my eg with 130kw at the flywheel would b plenty as a daily since i have also got an evo 6.!

come on guys he wants ~130kw at the fly not at the wheels
b18c2 would be the obvious best choice money and performance wise

dsp26
21-10-2008, 11:13 AM
^^^lol dude

"Money and performance wise" he should spend the money on his evo6 and keep the eg as a fuel economic daily... like really why spend $4k+ on anything.... 30kw at the wheels or at the fly is still a lot.

If it was me i'd do a B18B/B20... plenty torque/power to weight on a light chassis for cheap as chips engine.. minimal spend for maximum gains in drivability for daily drive use.

Lukey
21-10-2008, 11:25 AM
if u find me a da1 with rwc and whatnot ill sell u my b18b

ralph_ef9
21-10-2008, 11:28 AM
zc are jdm d16a8 are audm

a they making diffrent power? i was told everything is the same those engine...

vinnY
21-10-2008, 11:30 AM
you should be the last person to talk about money and performance ron
where have you gone with your b16?

being his daily i'm sure he can't afford much downtime
and its sure going to be tough gaining 30kw through his planned means(pistons, cams, ecu, etc)
more work done, more things to go wrong
i say toss out the stock d16 and slot in a b18c2 and be done with it

fuel economy's not going to go to shit just because you have a slightly bigger motor
my b18c7 seems to use the same as my old b16a2 with similar driving habits

dsp26
21-10-2008, 12:09 PM
you should be the last person to talk about money and performance ron
where have you gone with your b16?

exactly my point :) maybe $5k later and still not happy with it

he's on a budget... if i was in his position i'd leave it and spend it on the evo6:thumbsup:

vinnY
21-10-2008, 12:15 PM
yeah on a budget of less than $5k
i'd still vote for the b18c2 instead of going through the trouble of working the mighty d16

dsp26
21-10-2008, 12:18 PM
yeah on a budget of less than $5k
i'd still vote for the b18c2 instead of going through the trouble of working the mighty d16

i'm surprised beeza hasn't posted links from the almighty d-series.org.. i've read a few of their techs and i've never come across a big power one in NA form.

If he is willing to spend $5k though then plenty of options with any B18 and upwards as a minimum.... i've spent enough on the b16 and its still crap and i'm sure others will agree.. the only thing to really wake it up is a FD which i can't afford... can't go half-arse on a B16 build IMO

***EDIT***
what i don't understand is how the OP went from a T-Sport to a EG + evo6 then wanting to pour money into an d-series EG???

Limbo
21-10-2008, 12:33 PM
D series has like 50-60kw atw?
getting it to about 90kw, that's alot of work from a D, without boost

GoharD
21-10-2008, 04:18 PM
interesting...
i didnt know it would b something this hard to only gain 30kw at the engine, i thought of it as something as easy as ecu tune to 9rev with big cam = 30kw hahaha guess not with the d16a8.
but yeh after all its a daily so when i do have the spare cash mayb a b18 swap like many here would b more of a better idea.

thanks guys for all the info and ideas.

dsp26
21-10-2008, 04:36 PM
common sense rule of thumb... the smaller the power your engine produces the harder it is to make more....

with 60kw thats 50% increase your looking at... if it was a big car like say an XR^ turbo.. an exhaust system may just well get you 30kw for example

DNY*BOY
21-10-2008, 05:01 PM
if your gonna do thos mods lot of work involved and youl more than liely loose alot fo talk with 'bigger' parts which arent always beter yes youll gain power but if you want a daily driver a cams / cam gears piston are mainly topend power getters , i think a swap is in need... theres a place in syd that does b16 swaps on road for 5k so im sure in melb something can b worked out ...

4age8u
21-10-2008, 06:47 PM
sell ur honda and go get a wrx..30kw is to much unless u have deep pockets

rayb3na_
21-10-2008, 07:09 PM
just turbo it..

beeza
21-10-2008, 08:41 PM
i'm surprised beeza hasn't posted links from the almighty d-series.org.. i've read a few of their techs and i've never come across a big power one in NA form.

If he is willing to spend $5k though then plenty of options with any B18 and upwards as a minimum.... i've spent enough on the b16 and its still crap and i'm sure others will agree.. the only thing to really wake it up is a FD which i can't afford... can't go half-arse on a B16 build IMO

***EDIT***
what i don't understand is how the OP went from a T-Sport to a EG + evo6 then wanting to pour money into an d-series EG???

Ah,ya know me too well :p

It's true.Guys in the US make 100kw NA d-series easy and all the time.But the thing is,there it's cheap and easy to do.Here it will be more expensive and will take a bit more effort but is totally do-able,it's just not a popular choice :D

I/H/E
Port and Polish + 4 angle valve job (port match intake and exhaust gasket)
Cam and camgear
Valves,springs and retainers
ECU + Tuning

and ya there!

So that's http://d-series.org/ where dreams can become a reality :wave:

beeza
21-10-2008, 08:54 PM
But yeah,a lot easier to just drop in a b right?

Limbo
21-10-2008, 09:26 PM
boost will get you 30kw no worries with enough power & torque to make most cars look twice.

5k budget should be ok also, see Luke's d series turbo

felixd
22-10-2008, 02:02 PM
hmm you can sell ur car and new car with a bigger engine ? :)

Crapdaz
22-10-2008, 02:24 PM
not worth it as everyone has mentioned, if you have deep pockets.

just put in extra and boost it.

SeverAMV
22-10-2008, 02:55 PM
im just going to completely ignore most of the posts in this thread as i would generally assume they would say something like 'swap motors' or 'put a sticker on it, +50kw'

if you want to make power from a d series, you're at the wrong forum. a lot more helpful people at www.onecamonly.com

but just to help you out, if you're willing to do most of the work yourself, you can buy a high compression all motor kit (includes all gaskets, slim metal head gasket, high comp coated p29 pistons) to bump up the compression ratio from www.fjdistributors.com. you might think, 'holy crap, thats gonna be expensive', and you'd be wrong, it only costs $350 including shipping to australia.
then im pretty sure they started selling skunk2 camshafts (fairly cheap) but head to bisimoto for better NA cams, and they have a kms complete titanium valvetrain package for $600 (including valves, seats, retainers, springs, blockguard, etc) to handle any camshaft you want to stick in.

so far, thats less than 1.5k. then head to ebay for a 4-2-1 stainless steel d series header, will cost you $40 and quality and design are the exact same as xforce, minus the tag. exhaust you could probably get a custom one.

rest you can spend on labour if you dont wanna do it yourself. spend money on a good tune, and you'll be happy.

you might think this wont get you much power, but bisimoto will give you advice to make good power out of this. alternatively, you can buy his tuning packages. he makes somewhere in the vicinity of 200whp with a setup like above, so its cheaper than a k/f/b swap, and will whoop their butts at the same time.

beeza
22-10-2008, 03:22 PM
GOLD!!!!

Dat's what I'm talkin' bout.Never underestimate the underdog.The best part is no one can be bothered so you will be unique :)

GoharD
22-10-2008, 04:35 PM
nice!
just wat i needed to know but i guess no1 here did any of this to an eg si?
i better look into it more when i have time.

if most havent notice, i didnt want to do much or mayb nothing at all to it as its only a daily driver car but damn! its such a fun car. also the reason y i dont want to go turbo or swap with b18c7 or anything hardcore as my evo 6 is pretty much enough power n sometimes quite scary on the mountain for me.

lilcrx
23-10-2008, 12:05 PM
i was reading wikipedia to get a better compression rate change the current d16 head with a newer model d16 head it being stock should bump up the compression rate. u could place a full exhaust with low restrict cat/extractors/cai/skunk tb/port polish/ecu change or maybe run a apexi safc/change the cams/tune up........but then again all those parts for a d16 engine come from america but u might get the power gains u want doing that $5k is more than enough to mod the engine.

IEVAQ8
23-10-2008, 12:17 PM
pm sent

SeverAMV
23-10-2008, 01:15 PM
there are a lot of ways to change compression ratios. head to http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html for the number of possible combinations from the honda parts catalogue alone.

@GoharD - i have the setup i described, except with a milled head, stage 2 cam, and twin carbs atm (soon to be quad), and it runs well as a daily, and does a brilliant job at keeping up with my boss' evo3 in the hills and on streets.

GoharD
25-10-2008, 12:12 AM
SeverAMV, but is ur engine the same as mine? coz mine is dohc d16a8.
im not very good at building engines but if its a job not involving too much time most of my friend can probably do it for me.
so say all that required for wat ur running, how much roughly u wrkn it will cost(under 2k?) parts n then labour. coz if labour are too much then i guess i will have to forced myself to do it lol.
much appreciated man, very helpful info

SeverAMV
26-10-2008, 08:31 PM
ahh, mines on an sohc d15b4.

for the parts packages i described before it would be 1.5k, but since you'll need two cams, might cost another 500-600 more, depending on the situation. best bet would be to ring up bisimoto, because i think the best bet would be to send your cams over for a regrind since dohc d are rare. will probably cost a bit cheaper than paying him to find a used cam. so you might be looking at 2k for parts alone. if you and your friend can put it all together, you can spend some extra money on milling the head or decking the block to get some extra compression (if you bring the pistons to deck height, CR would be somewhere around 13:1-15:1).
then you would still have plenty for a tune. not sure how much hondata chips cost but you'll probably either need a hondata for a full retune, or an apexi afc piggy back type system, depending on how much you want to spend.
best bet would be to confirm all the prices before buying parts if you're tight on cash.

my build was much cheaper, mainly because i tuned the carbs and ignition timing myself.

fatboyz39
27-10-2008, 09:11 AM
There is a certain D16 with about 90kw atw. Stock head just with high comp pistons.

beeza
27-10-2008, 02:00 PM
There is a certain D16 with about 90kw atw. Stock head just with high comp pistons.

WOW! I/H/E aswell?
Any other mods?

[SDCTVE]
27-10-2008, 02:52 PM
well if you have $5k to spend you CAN drop in a b18c, its prob the smarter option as i wouldn't waste money tryin to get more power out of a D16 (without turbo charging it)

or alternatively, just sell your eg, put the $5k on top and just buy yourself a late model DC2 Vtir :) beautiful cars!

bennjamin
27-10-2008, 02:56 PM

...and a turbo hanging off the side ? :)

90kw at the wheels from a 1.6 with 96kw max at the fly standardis interesting. Is this in a city shell ?:wave:

dsp26
27-10-2008, 03:06 PM
^^^Whats with the Honda City OH in-joke?? i always see sarcastic posts related to a city lol.. something we missed?

bennjamin
27-10-2008, 03:10 PM
dw its old news. Summary is a member posted one up for sale with very questionable mods , power rating and a very optimistic 1/4 estimate.

back on topic....30kw onto a d16a8 is doable with alot of money in the head and pistons.

GoharD
27-10-2008, 05:15 PM
damn, true wat most of u say.
i guess i better off leave it as it. LOL
leave mods for the evo instead

beeza
27-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Just comes down to how keen you are.

I don't know about you 'cruising the hills of adelaide' in SeverAMV's d sounds like da shazizzle to me :)

fatboyz39
27-10-2008, 09:40 PM
...and a turbo hanging off the side ? :)

90kw at the wheels from a 1.6 with 96kw max at the fly standardis interesting. Is this in a city shell ?:wave:

NO TURBO.... Yes we own the city. We are using it for Research and developements of D series engines.

It made like 75kw atw when we first got it. Now up to 90kw atw with just tuning.

It has no intake, shitty ebay headers, 2 1/4 press bent.

The goal is to make 100kw atw with intake, headers and exhaust.:eek:

beeza
28-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Far out!
That's mad.
That should shut up the haterzzz!

Jums
28-10-2008, 10:41 AM
GoharD - just do it! wat severAMV said!

ralph_ef9
28-10-2008, 05:02 PM
hey GoharD:
im doing the same thing here i have the same engine as urs dohc zc,
got quads setup and cams...dont know where to get high compress pistons and valve spring....
will start work on the cylinder head soon!
hope can get 100kw atw when i finish...
ill post pic of my all i got...hope u like it!

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/ralph_ef9/DSC02034.jpg

GoharD
28-10-2008, 09:39 PM
awesome! ralph ef9

anyhow im poor atm lol.
but so far sounds like this d16a8 with cheaper money on mods will come close with the b18vtir/b16a swap? will wait n find out hope the results for ralph's car wont dissapoint lol
u go man!!

beeza
29-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Definately achievable and some.

Jums
29-10-2008, 06:10 PM
i have an off topic question. i can't find any d15b4 aftermarket thinner head gaskets. do i just buy the d16a6 head gasket for my d15b4??

defect
30-10-2008, 08:32 AM
dont d16a8 have like 60kw atw? be hard to get it to make close to a b series?
i say boost it.. you'll be happier with the results.

beeza
30-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I see you haven't met SeverAMV :)