PDA

View Full Version : worth getting a VAFC?

J-MuN
06-10-2004, 11:04 PM
hey all,
just wondering if there was much point in installing a vafc on my em1?... no mods quite yet except spoon n1 axle back exhaust and d2 coilovers but i can get a vafc quite cheap so i was wondering if there is going to be a noticable difference once installed (if tuned correctly)...

[stealth]
06-10-2004, 11:19 PM
nope... no point. unless u got more than a cat-back exhaust... I/H/E.. plus more.. still wouldnt be ample... but.. everyones got their own opinion

:)

coolmeow
06-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Get I/H/E first b4 the VAFC, get the best gain and save $$$ that way....as u will need someone to tune the VAFC 4 u

SINISTR
07-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Get I/H/E first b4 the VAFC, get the best gain and save $$$ that way....as u will need someone to tune the VAFC 4 u

I second that!

one of my friends used to have a B16A 98 VtiR - and by installing intake and a cat back system he gained something like 10HP-20HP from memory. this isn't alot in someones view - but he was more than happy with the difference it made - said it was MUCH quicker...

integraz
07-10-2004, 02:30 PM
well there are some happy costumers who have dc5[non type r] and have gained ~7kws from vafc2. with i/h/e

SiR JDM
07-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Would go good with that spoon exhuast ey julez ^_-

get the headers + intake first tho i say, and a good hi flow cat and ull get some considerable gains.. just make sure u get someone to tune it... dicky tuned ur bros one b4 he bought the car so mayb he could do it =)

J-MuN
07-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Would go good with that spoon exhuast ey julez ^_-

get the headers + intake first tho i say, and a good hi flow cat and ull get some considerable gains.. just make sure u get someone to tune it... dicky tuned ur bros one b4 he bought the car so mayb he could do it =)

hahaha yeh will do... nah i wasnt thinking of purchasing one quite yet... cos cousin can get them pretty cheap from malaysia... was jus wonderin... but yeh headers + intake is first... :thumbsup:

VTEChnique
07-10-2004, 05:28 PM
I second that!

one of my friends used to have a B16A 98 VtiR - and by installing intake and a cat back system he gained something like 10HP-20HP from memory. this isn't alot in someones view - but he was more than happy with the difference it made - said it was MUCH quicker...

HAHAH yeah everytime someone bagz-out on the VAFC - I think back to Rod's EK4.. I mean he didnt even have a header - just cat-back and an intake.. and the difference in the car was amazing !!

SiR JDM
07-10-2004, 06:00 PM
10-20 hp is a fair increase, especially on a car thats putting out 160..thats a bout 10% increase..

even the engines me and VTEChnique, even tho its 170 we can only use about 160 here in aus so thats a fair increase, I plan on getting one when i do my catback + intake .. ill let ya know how it goes..

btw how did he know the increase was 10/20hp? was it proven on a dyno or just from *feeling*?
Cuz there is a thing called a placebo effect... = )?

VTEChnique
07-10-2004, 06:21 PM
what you sayin about my engine ?? hahah

was dyno graphs before and after to visually show the gains - but the biggest difference was in the seat-of-your-pants dyno - it COMPLETELY changed the nature of the once sedate EK4 into an almost fire-breathing monster. Throttle response especially in high RPMS was excellent - I cant remember WHO tuned it but they did a great job.

The ONLY thing I dont like about VAFC's, and I have only HEARD about this - not experienced it - is that the Honda ECU's will re-learn and over-ride through compensation of the VAFC's signal and thus eliminate any gains made by the fuel tuning facility..

anyone else talk about this ?

SiR JDM
07-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Sorry i didn't word myself properly up there.. what I was saying is that even tho me and you have the 170hp SIR engines, we can only utilize about 160 of it due to our lower octane ratings here in Australia... unless we use octane boosters everytime we fill up.. which isn't worth it for me... im jus happy with the engine how it is tho =)

Ive heard the same thing about the *re-learning* but i highly doubt that such a reputable company such as Apexi would make a program that is effecivly usless? And why they would make a second version of it and that it would be still selling today.. I think its just a honda myth :P The honda ECU is a self learning ECU, but the VAFC is a piggyback program, it adds on to the ECU.. thats how I see it anyway..

For the price of a VAFC2 500+, plus installation and tuning, id be leaning towards an actual ECU such as microtech rather than a piggy back program. But it depends wat you want =)

Weq
07-10-2004, 11:55 PM
relearning is only a problem on newer computers.. we are talking 01+ model honda's. u wont be able to increase fuel with a VAFC without getting new injectors. But u can take out fuel from the 'stock' map's, and also cut back fuel if u get an adjustable regulator to increase it... there are a few uses for them, but the problem is u only have 5 preset points in which u can alter the trims of the fuel.... if u are getting a good deal on an AFC, and im talking good, then i would grab it... worst comes to worst, sell it on ebay!

BLKCRX
08-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Meh, Honda computers are self learning…. Your saying this is a myth ! lol ;-) wonder why they have oxygen sensors for negative feed back ? and have program code for both long term n short term o2 changes. As for 01+ Honda’s they are even more smarter with a semi wideband o2 sensor to help make real time changes sooner and faster….some how people like to think they work ! but ask any real honest tuner how good they work, or don’t work at all.

Regards James

VTEChnique
08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
I didnt say it was a myth BLKCRX, was asking someone to explain as I had heard on here a few times about this..

FYI, VAFC-2 has 500RPM increments instead of 1000RPM increments of tuning (VAFC-1).. please correct me if i'm wrong.

SINISTR
08-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I didnt say it was a myth BLKCRX, was asking someone to explain as I had heard on here a few times about this..

FYI, VAFC-2 has 500RPM increments instead of 1000RPM increments of tuning (VAFC-1).. please correct me if i'm wrong.

Hey Bede,

I will correct you there... cos VAFC has 500rpm increments, and VAFCII has 200rpm Increments... :P

Mike

VTEChnique
08-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey Bede,

I will correct you there... cos VAFC has 500rpm increments, and VAFCII has 200rpm Increments... :P

Mike

heheh that's why I wrote that bit about correcting me cause I couldnt remember what you told me before HAHAHA

IMO 200RPM increments is fine - I mean the more increments, the more headaches for tuning HAHAHA.