PDA

View Full Version : coilover springs

Hu$TLeRz_aMBiTiONz
21-10-2008, 05:37 PM
saw these on ebay anyone ever used them and are they any good??
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/90-93-94-97-HONDA-ACCORD-CD-COILOVER-SUSPENSION-SPRING_W0QQitemZ110300771867QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em110300771867&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

CB7_OWNER
21-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Noo Good!.. These are a cheap way out to lower your car.. low spring rates, crap quality, will wear out your shocks extra fast if you drop the car too low.

In short, there basically just coil over "sleeves" with some no brand generic springs...

If you want to lower your car for just looks, with no performance in mind.. then go for these..IMO these are just 1/4 of a step up from cutting your springs...

Do it right the first time, or dont do it at all right?

interfooler
22-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Well since this is a thread about lowering...
I was thinking of lowering 1995 Accord VTi. I am looking at about 2 inch drop, not really a big fan of slammed ride. Performance and handling is very important to me, as well as decent ride comfort. What setup should I go for and how much I'll be looking at for this setup?

Element12
22-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I was thinking of lowering 1995 Accord VTi. I am looking at about 2 inch drop, not really a big fan of slammed ride. Performance and handling is very important to me, as well as decent ride comfort. What setup should I go for and how much I'll be looking at for this setup?

Hey dude, i would recommend Tein SS coilovers fully adjustable coils, but since you want the ride comfort im unsure, But the coilovers would be the best performer as far as im concerned, they are damper adjustable too.

slknv
22-10-2008, 11:33 PM
saw these on ebay anyone ever used them and are they any good??

ooo.... no good. I had some "Skunk2" coilovers and custom Koni Yellows on my old old prelude back in 1998 when rice was nice :wave: I got a pic somewhere....

http://88speed.com/images/lowprelude2.jpg

anyway, ignore the damn eagle stick on stuff and I could lower it all the way to the ground. Ride quality? Didn't exist. Handling? Ditto. I got rid of the Skunk "coilovers", and having King springs on the custom Konis actually had a decent ride lowered about 1.5".

If you want a comfortable ride, stick with factory suspension as you probably won't get much more comfortable than that!

If you're willing to lose a bit of ride quality then a proper set of coilovers are the go (maybe skip pillowball mounts if you want a bit of quiet!)

Tim

CB7_OWNER
23-10-2008, 04:13 PM
An adjustable aftermarket shock + a good choice of springs = better ride quality then stock.

Element12
23-10-2008, 08:08 PM
An adjustable aftermarket shock + a good choice of springs = better ride quality then stock.

To a point.

Handling yes.

Comfortable, its arguable.

FAT VTI
24-10-2008, 06:56 PM

get it slammmmmmmmmmmmmmmed!.

performance and handling is important, you'd be looking at a decent coilover system IMO. Koni shocks and decent springs is another good option, but i'm jst going to be lazy and say coilover systems, because cd5's suspension is...a coilover suspension system.

What you should be looking for to fit your criteria for your new suspension-
1. you only want to go down 2inches, however i'm going to take a guess and say you'll go down 2.5 ...just a guess. Look at getting a bit of height adjustability in your system, u never know what you'll like.
2. Damper adjustability. Look at getting a system which has damper adjustability, to increase ur ride comfort and ur handling. If not, get a good system which doesn't require you to care about ride comfort....tein basic's.
3.other suspension components SHOULD be looked into, to improve your suspension for your criteria. In particular, front strut braces reduce body roll significantly in cd5's which are lowered.
3. Camber kit- Maybe not essential for a 2inch drop, but it is a consideration if you plan to go a bit too low.
4. branding over crappy ebay shit. Basically, better brands cost most. In reality, look for reviews from other cd5 owners. If everyone is saying how good a product is in their car consistantly, it probably means its a decent product.

so what do i reccomend you get-
Tein SS coilovers- height and damper adjustability www.titanmotorsports.com.au talk to eric
or koni yellows and a decent spring.
front strut brace
rear strut brace
the list is pretty much endless, but that should get u started to realise how much more $ u are willing to throw in to get your suspension the way you want it.

Feverpitched
25-10-2008, 07:02 PM
To a point.

Handling yes.

Comfortable, its arguable.

I installed new near-OEM spec gas struts (KYB Excel G's) and Lovells 'sport' springs in my old car and the comfort change was night and day. Nobody tends to replace shock absorbers unless something really bad happens to them, so they never get a look in for simple wear.

For example, ALL of the shocks I took out of my previous car had collapsed to some extent, and it was a 93 make, 170,000kms.

CB7_OWNER
28-10-2008, 11:11 PM
This might be of interest to people looking for Koni Shocks in australia ( VIC) very cheap.. 680 brand new..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KONI-FRONT-AND-REAR-SHOCKS-HONDA-ACCORD-90-98_W0QQitemZ150306541505QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33590QQ cmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

U could even couple it with there "SPAX" springs that they also sell. .im sure the final combo won't be to shabby. for $900 very cheap upgrade!!!!

interfooler
19-11-2008, 11:25 PM
The Koni shocks look like a pretty good deal. What springs should I go with those shocks?

FAT VTI
26-11-2008, 03:31 PM
anyone know if the rumours are true that they r no longer producing koni yellow only reds?

Element12
26-11-2008, 07:57 PM
anyone know if the rumours are true that they r no longer producing koni yellow only reds?

I heard they still are, but rumors are very up in the air, we need a reliable source.