PDA

View Full Version : Toda MFactory Supersprint Civic - A season gone by and a Championship won

e240
21-10-2008, 09:12 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/e240_a/Grid.jpg

The Toda Performance / MFactory EG Civic finished the 2008 NSW Supersprint Championship season on a high, winning the round and clinching the Class 3B Championship (Even though we only needed to finish 3rd for this round), and coming in 3rd for the Type Championship. We were there to win and win we did.

We took the Class Championship by 3 points, which we were very happy with. Missing a round placed us at a seemingly disadvantaged situation till the final round, but that’s the way the point’s system works. It doesn’t highlight the extent of the win and a better indication is our achievement, which is listed below.

An interesting day at the races this weekend. We encountered a problem which saw us miss 2 runs at the best part of the day, missing on opportunities to continue the rhythm and set some really fast laps. Our tyres, which had begun the season with us were showing signs of being totally heat-cycled out, was worn, showing signs of deterioration, blue-ing out, were slippery as hell. Unfortunately, working on a budget (Yes! despite the rumours, we do budget as we have limited funds like all enthusiasts - and I dare say our budget is a lot less than some people might think. :-p ), meant that we had to make do and drive through the issues. Having fresh tyres would've been a real bonus - Perhaps this is something we should budget for next year.

Anyway, this is about celebrations, not problems and we're happy to say, thanks to a great team effort, we were able to continue to participate through the night runs and remain on top even in those runs. Special mention goes to SuperR (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73959) for going out of his way to rush a critical part down and helping to fix the issue.

To summarise our achievements for this year in the NSW Supersprint Championships:
Round 1 - Oran Park GP - Did not contest
Round 2 - Wakefield Park 1.10.95 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record
Round 3 - Eastern Creek 1.51.84 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record
Round 4 - Oran Park GP 1.22.09 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record
Round 5 - Wakefield Park 1:09.45 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record (Again!)
Round 6 - Eastern Creek 1:54.94 - 3rd in Class 3B - Pulled out after Gearbox Issues
Round 7 - Oran Park GP 1.21.18 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record (Again!)
Round 8 - Oran Park South - Event Cancelled
Round 9 - Oran Park South 50.27 - 1st in Class 3B - Missed the class record by 0.01 second but we'll be back stronger!

We have won 6 out of 8 events, the 2 we did not win was, 1) we did not participate, 2) we had a major issue.
We also set the class lap records in all but one of the circuits.

What drove us?
Coming out of 2007 with a runner up place in Class 3A, we decided that we needed to make modifying meaningful. While we were not ready for IPRA, the NSW State Supersprint was a good development ground - development for both the car and driver especially considering that I only started competitive circuit driving proper in 2007.

We chose Class 3B because of the level of competition in that class for 2007 but having the 2007 3B Champion pull out after 1 round in 2008 and missing a certain black Integra Type R, there wasn't any real competition left. We knew we would beat anyone else and so for each round, the car was set just enough to keep ahead of any competition. We were right.

The Car.
A 1/2 Cage was put in primarily for safety as we were already getting up there in terms of speed. Toda Fightex were chosen for their quality and proven record. For 2008, we went up to a B18C block. This was an engine development year for us. Despite what people say, the development of the car is no different in cost and time from the typical enthusiast that modifies their car. A key feature of our goal was for the car to be street able as well considering that I drive to and from the circuits. In fact you will find some equally comprehensive builds just looking through Ozhonda. The Toda Fightex coilovers were off the shelf items, exhaust system and gears are readily available to the enthusiast at very competitive rates (http://www.teammfactory.com). The engine built, no different from every other high powered engine application, and using quality Toda parts. Quads? Computer? well, almost every other modified car sports these items nowadays anyway. What we did not make ourselves, we used readily available off the shelf items widely used by modifiers around the world. So what was special? The combination.

The right combination, the careful planning of modifications, all derived from the vast experience of the Toda Workshop, ensured that the cost commensurate the gain. Yes, of course its costlier than a slapper installation, but we are assured of quality parts and reliability - Coupled with a very experienced, no bull engine builder and tuner. In the longer term, savings gained over having to tear down the engine every couple of months (or swap engines), or worse, for the enthusiast to live with a dud engine built in some dodgy backyard. Do it right from the beginning.

For the actual specification of the Toda Performance Engine, please contact Toda Performance Australia.

In brief, the specs are as follows:
Engine – Darton MID Sleeved B18C2 + Ported B16A head
Displacement - 1979cc
Bore -85.00mm
Stroke - 87.20mm
CR – Less than 12.0:1
Camshafts - TODA Racing Vtec camshafts
Gearbox – M-Factory SPL (Full gear set + final drive + LSD)
I/H/E - Mugen Air Box, SPL Air pipe, TODA carbon surge tank, TODA 50mm quad throttles, off shelf V2 TODA headers + 60mm M-Factory cat back
ECU - HONDATA S300
Pump Fuel.

A fair bit of time was definitely spent on the car to get the desired setup. Though for most rounds, the only work done on the car before each round was a quick check to make sure everything was mechanically sound. The engine rarely came out, nor did the engine get alot of Dyno time as much one might imagine from such a competitive package.

The Driver
Me!!! Its been an interesting year for me. Winning the Class championship feels surreal even though that was what we setout to do. I am not a gun driver (as overheard from the Ozhonda/Shift day), I'm Bruce Wayne, and at night, the Batman. haha..Kidding. No, I'm not different from any other enthusiast who enjoys driving their car. There's still a lot to learn, skills to pickup, but if anyone has a question, I'm more than happy to share. A good car always helps and Toda Australia provided a reliable engine combination that helped mask a lot of driving mistakes. :-D I'm privileged to have had the opportunity to drive this engine.

So for this year, we've done the minimum to stay ahead, but there is more. Stay tuned.

Special thanks - My wife for being understanding and supportive throughout the season (And for letting me race 1 week after the birth of our baby), Toda Performance for the advice, the support, the friendship - the fantastic memories of getting the car ready at the opening of the season and keeping the car in form before each round (Also for the driving tips - Next Target, Adrian's PB of 1:48 @ Eastern Creek..LOL). MFactory for the unwavering support. Close friends at Toda who have lent their advice, encouragement and support, to the guys on Ozhonda and Clubitr who have supported and encouraged as well, and not to mention, the Dave, for being, the Dave.

Vids of the event (Watch in High Quality)
Day Run 1 - Indecision at turn 1
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4cw22Gkwup4

Day Run 2 - An FD3S
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XAznYgvTU

Dusk Run - ITR and Evo (In the distance of course!)
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VqSQIt07aPo

Night Run 1 - Holden Torana SS
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=98TggfzjZ6k

Night Run 2 - EG Civic
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bXbsdXBVOuc

GTRVspec95
21-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Nice work :D

I see you probably beat up a clubman to win the championship ...

I hate racing clubmans !! :p

SHIFTY
21-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Congrats To You Leo and The Toda Boys :)

Great Work!!!

This car is a bloody weapon, and the driver you are a great driver to be able to drive this thing to the limits like you do!!!

e240
21-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks..

actually - :-p I would like to have a clubman one day.

aaronng
21-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Excellent writeup! Congrats Leo on winning this year's championship. Hope to attend more Wakefield trackdays when you are running there for "fun" as well.

e240
21-10-2008, 09:28 PM
thanks aaronng, and next time, when you come out with me, I promise not to blow a tyre.
By the way, i now have a harness for the passenger seat :p

I heart the SSS
21-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Such an interesting read, i wasn't expecting such a detailed thread.

I enjoyed it the read!

Well done to you all, and it's certainly the driver who makes this car shine.

Good work dude...

aaronng
21-10-2008, 09:33 PM
thanks aaronng, and next time, I promise not to blow a tyre.
By the way, i now have a harness for the passenger seat :p

Good good, no need for me to hold onto the non-existent handles. haha.
I'm after a harness too for my car, because the stock seat belt doesn't stop me from sliding around when on track. Are you using Takata?

e240
21-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Good good, no need for me to hold onto the non-existent handles. haha.
I'm after a harness too for my car, because the stock seat belt doesn't stop me from sliding around when on track. Are you using Takata?

No, I'm using ERG which is a local brand. It does the job and is cams approved. Takata is bling...buy them and I'll borrow them off you.:wave:

SHIFTY
21-10-2008, 09:37 PM
every1 uses takata because its jdm, use WILLANS if you want the best ;) (its the same price as takata, if not cheaper, ands its ALOT better)

e240
21-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Such an interesting read, i wasn't expecting such a detailed thread.

I enjoyed it the read!

Well done to you all, and it's certainly the driver who makes this car shine.

Good work dude...

Thanks buddy. :thumbsup:

Benson
21-10-2008, 10:01 PM
"Coupled with a very experienced, no bull engine builder and tuner. In the longer term, savings gained over having to tear down the engine every couple of months (or swap engines), or worse, for the enthusiast to live with a dud engine built in some dodgy backyard. Do it right from the beginning"

Please explain Leo? What are you trying to say about our Engine and tuning?

e240
21-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Why would it be a reference you Benson? Its a statement of fact that enthusiast need to watch out for in the in industry. You know that.

You know that I have never reference you in any of my post, just so to avoid this sort of misunderstanding. Why would I start now? You need to read in context of the entire post.

"Coupled with a very experienced, no bull engine builder and tuner. In the longer term, savings gained over having to tear down the engine every couple of months (or swap engines), or worse, for the enthusiast to live with a dud engine built in some dodgy backyard. Do it right from the beginning"

mr_vtec
21-10-2008, 10:14 PM
yes i just read it again and didnt sound like he was referring to you.. unless u think u fall into the category that he is referring to.. :s

anyways congrats to you for all the achievements because im sure its not as easy as most people think.. you didnt just chuck the car on the track and run good lap times.. it was over a long time but sounds like u had fun congrats once again..

zco
21-10-2008, 10:16 PM
i heard your running one of Tom's Portflow's head.. is that correct?

congrats on the epic win

Benson
21-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeh well, im not going to cause a shit fight your thread

but remember the same can apply for some certain workshops as well..

Anyways, Congrats on the win

e240
21-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Anyway, haven't your engine and tune been running fantastic times in the series? So how could you even relate to that statement? :confused:

Benson
21-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Anyway, haven't your engine and tune been running fantastic times in the series? So how could you even relate to that statement? :confused:

Well it doesnt really implies considering as we did a good job in the championship, but i know where you are gettin at and i didnt like what it is trying to convey.

For one, our engine is built in the backyard, tuned by Dave. The motor isnt a dud and is definately not shy for a 1.6l.

SHIFTY
21-10-2008, 10:24 PM

congrats on the epic win

Errr WTF?

Yeh well, im not going to cause a shit fight your thread

but remember the same can apply for some certain workshops as well..

Anyways, Congrats on the win

Dude, Its Leo, he wouldn't mean anything like that.. don't understand why you are jumping to the conclusion that this was aimed at you?

zco
21-10-2008, 10:26 PM
bceause theres always been a shitfight between leo/adrian vs the twins..

what are you "errr WTF'ing" about ? it was a question.. that still hasnt been answered.. i contacted them and found out one of very few of their heads are in australia
word is one of hte heads are in that toda EG !

Benson
21-10-2008, 10:28 PM
bceause theres always been a shitfight between leo/adrian vs the twins..

what are you "errr WTF'ing" about ? it was a question.. that still hasnt been answered.. i contacted them and found out one of very few of their heads are in australia

i wouldnt say shit fight, just very competitive :p

e240
21-10-2008, 10:34 PM

congrats on the epic win

Thanks Zco.

Tom'sPortflow? Is that question for me or Mr vtec

mr_vtec
21-10-2008, 10:36 PM
haha i dont own a civic lol would be too u

destrukshn
21-10-2008, 10:37 PM
i believe that they are not using a tom's portflow head.

e240
21-10-2008, 10:42 PM
No, we bought the head off Peter's of kensington...LOL

SHIFTY
21-10-2008, 10:46 PM
what? you got a headjob at peters and kingsington? lol

e240
21-10-2008, 10:50 PM
i wouldnt say shit fight, just very competitive :p

Too competitive eh? ;) But isn't this whats its all about? Bragging right? LOL.
Chill man, as I have told you many times, impressive driving for a B16.

e240
21-10-2008, 10:55 PM

No. Its not a Toms. Its a B16A head from my previous B16A motor. Ported by Adrian from Toda Performance Australia.

delsol9000rpms
21-10-2008, 11:29 PM
congrats mate... well deserved... little pocket rocket.

Benson
22-10-2008, 06:35 AM
i dont think that post is relevant to this thread. You are welcome to post it in my thread so i can reply properly.

Leo you might want to edit it

DR HONDA
22-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Watch out another bitching session! I think everyone should congratulate both teams involved for all there efforts and hard yards put into this years events and not sit here and defamate persons. Its motorsport....

TODA AU
22-10-2008, 10:39 AM

congrats on the epic win

LOL, I'd say you may have got your wires crossed Mr Zco,

So there no debate or confusion,
The cylinder head porting in this engine was performed in house.
It is not a "Portflow" head.
In case anyone is wondering, though we do sell "Portflow" products, to date we've not yet used a "Portflow" ported head on any engine.

As this car was built to showcase our engine building & tuning ability.
Apart from some machining work performed in Sydney Australia,
all other work was performed in house & that definitely includes the head porting.
That is it is an engine based on what we can do in house using our own products to their maximum advantage.
We plan to use this engine again next year with only a few minor changes.
& with more development in the handling department, with luck we can reproduce our win from this year.

As for comments re shit fight,
There is no shit fight as such at all, just spirited competition.
I think people get confused with the written word when compared to face to face conversations where the inflection of what is said can be read.
Fact of the matter is we all get on well with each other in real life.
Sure there is a health rivalry, but that's where it ends.

Further to this,
I hope our efforts & the efforts of the Backyard boys have highlighted the fun that can be had in grass roots Motorsport
& maybe get a few more people involved.
Competition is a good thing & breeds development.

Thanks for the congratulations on the win.
Cheers

Adrian

90LAN
22-10-2008, 10:53 AM
good work mate
great job to achieve this

rk 86 wa
22-10-2008, 12:01 PM
very nice write up, sorry i am a bit confused but are you guys competing in the same 3b class? (leo/adrian + benson/dave)

hence all the competition?

either way good luck for next season :)

e240
22-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes, both cars compete in 3B for Bragging rights...LOL

Q_ball
22-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Congrats Leo :)

e240
22-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks QBall!

EG CIVIC
22-10-2008, 05:26 PM
:thumbsup: Awesome efforts - Congrats..

timofytit
22-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Well done guys!

Tim Ware

e240
22-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks all. We'll look forward to next year, but now, its about having fun with the car on track days.

DNYALL
22-10-2008, 08:14 PM
damn guys, Great Job, love the car. Sounds like a beast!!

e240
22-10-2008, 08:16 PM
How is Winton like?

aaronng
22-10-2008, 08:36 PM
How is Winton like?
Winton has quite a few 90 degree turns and a chicane. It is more flat, with only 1 rising section after the start line, and then it gradually goes back down, unlike Wakefield.

e240
22-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Might have to try one day....But oh god...driving the civic down to, eerrrr...whereevr Winton is..LOL

aaronng
22-10-2008, 09:35 PM
LOL Benalla. Quite a long drive..... I reckon, have 1 car in a garage in Vic, and another in NSW. Then you can go for both tracks. :thumbsup:

e240
22-10-2008, 09:48 PM
LOL Benalla. Quite a long drive..... I reckon, have 1 car in a garage in Vic, and another in NSW. Then you can go for both tracks. :thumbsup:

Yes...and as my financier, I have to thank you

Slaz
23-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Well done Leonard and all involved, shame i couldnt be there to watch you all go round on Saturday and good write up to start this off. :thumbsup:

lil_foy
24-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Oh.... my..... god....

I had my speakers loud as hell when I was watching one of your videos.
The sound that comes from that car is just amazing.

Grats on the achievements.

e240
25-10-2008, 08:23 AM
heh...I'm going to have to wear ear plugs soon

markoJEK1
25-10-2008, 09:19 AM
great work :thumbsup:

DNYALL
25-10-2008, 12:01 PM
How is Winton like?

Winton is great fun. Some challenging corners but mostly flat. Also because it is so far out in the country it is on a nice open space so the walls arn't too close :p

Deffinately come down for a track day man :thumbsup: