PDA

View Full Version : scratches

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 03:57 PM
gf opened the door and it swung and hit into my palm tree

nows there like 3 5cm long scratches probably only 1mm deep

will touch up paint fix this? or just be a cover up, zzz

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/mykulxD/22-10-08_1635.jpg

down a bit from door handle and to the right. (those white lines / scratches )

magicmike
22-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Buff it out

rayb3na_
22-10-2008, 04:08 PM
kill the gf = no more scratches

g.ta
22-10-2008, 04:15 PM
a good cut and polish or go out and buy Maguire's ScratchX, does the job.

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 05:26 PM
lmao guys. should ay, nah she had a cry tho cause i was pissed (sooky baby) . anyways. thanks g.ta, i'll try and find that and use it. can u get it at autobarn?

anyways i have no clue was buffing it out means? i remember ray trying to explain 2 me ages ago, but yeah, care to elaborate mike???

DaveXR8
22-10-2008, 05:55 PM
To polish it out you will need to get your hands on some abrasive compound/polish and pads aswell.
The abrasives will cut back layers of the paint to level out the defect whereas fillers(like the megs scratch x) fills in the scratches. The problem with fillers is that after a few washes the imperfections start to show again and will need to be reapplied.

trism
22-10-2008, 06:41 PM
anyways i have no clue was buffing it out means? i remember ray trying to explain 2 me ages ago, but yeah, care to elaborate mike???

dude, how the **** can you not know what buffing out means?

my missus' 4 year old sister knows what it means

fark

iwantvtec
22-10-2008, 06:44 PM
mean kent..

trism
22-10-2008, 06:56 PM
its not mean, its serious

how can you not know what buffing is?

maybe take some time away from cars, and away from OH and do a little research on EVERYTHING

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 07:02 PM
jeez you know trism, all you do is come on threads and bag ****s out asking quesions, jeez. take some time out from OH and take ur anger and shit else where.

because i just don't know what buffing it out means, good for ur lil cousins sister dogs shit i dont give 2 fcuks.

so sorry i am not the smartest **** with cars like you man, i worship you dai lo... fkn sang ****

trism
22-10-2008, 07:04 PM
thats fine.

im not angry

and shit

just sick of n00bs using my bandwidth

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 07:04 PM
then stay away from the noob section. :thumbsup:

g.ta
22-10-2008, 07:10 PM
lol everyone relax,
buffing is the process you do when you polish/wax something.. ie. rubbing in a circular motion.

you can purchase scratchX from any supercheap, repco, autobarn stores, just call them up to make sure.
if you have polish/wax at home try that first they usually remove minor scratches with no problems.

baeshin
22-10-2008, 07:12 PM
lol owned

CB7_OWNER
22-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Don't rub in a circular motion, induces move visible swirls.Which is no good! =).

Buffing it out,, basically what Dave said.. using an abrasive (using a polish).. to cut down the paint till it down to the scratch depth, then u put wax back on, and it should almost be as good as new...

apply it in small sections at a time, if you see no improvement, then dont continue on, seek professional advice ..

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 07:21 PM
hmms i don't feel to comfortable doing that :(

probably just get touch up paint and just cover it up.

u mean an abrasive polish? :S sorry no nothing about detailing.

but after, should i claybar the whole car and the buff it out the finish with wax all of the car?

g.ta
22-10-2008, 07:23 PM
touch up paint is worse dude, it should be your last resort
just give it a good buff and its done..too easy.

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 07:26 PM
kk sweet thanks guys.

trism
22-10-2008, 08:39 PM
touch up paint is only good for when its back to bare metal

if its jsut a surface scratch get some of this

http://www.autobarn.com.au/products/17/161/4214178/

http://www.autobarn.com.au/AB_images/products/images/prod_1202163348.jpg
comes with a foam applicater, apply it, rub like a mofo then use a cloth, like a t shirt, or terry towelling to buff it off

never go circular, always go up and down

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 09:08 PM
caution: Not to be used on paintwork in good condition, or on newer cars with metallic paint or clear coat finishes. :s:s :s

migoreng
22-10-2008, 09:09 PM
lol
i have some of that.
yeah..i'm scared it might rip off the paint..
i've got a small line on my rear bumper. scratch x didn't help...too scared to try anything else haha

MWAKU
22-10-2008, 09:10 PM
haha some boat as me man, too scared to do anything, cause i don't wanna wreck my paint job. so i think im just gunna try wax it and wipe it off, see if it helps

Kath
22-10-2008, 09:18 PM
man just use the cutting compound!!!!!!!!!!!! it works!!

trism
22-10-2008, 09:23 PM
man if youve got metalic paint then touch up shit wont do sfa

Kath
22-10-2008, 09:26 PM
for the love of god do not use touch up paint lol will look worse then the scratch..

DaveXR8
23-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Depending on how agressive you go withe the cutting compound it should only take off a small amount of clear. A newly painted car usually has about 120-130um of paint on it. Once it gets down to about 90um then thats getting pretty thin but the only way to tell this is if you have a thickness gauge.

If you want to try using a cutting compound, just work on the area which needs to be worked and check it the pad every so often to see if it is pulling any colour. When you see the slightest bit of colour then that is when you should stop as the clear would be down to nothing.

If the scratch has penetrated through to the primer then a touch up would be the only way to go.

mohdmanutd
23-10-2008, 01:37 PM
omg man, you serious she already scratched it lol, i can imagine your face...

i was soo careful with your car when i saw it and i was also scared to hit the tree and look she cums and hits it

dont use touch up paint man it wouldnt do much trust me........just leave it for now and ill help you out with it ok...... speak later ok

mattchuej8
23-10-2008, 09:35 PM
just so u know, i bought some scratchX today, didnt do anything.
pretty gay, cost $18 to.
and that was on small scratches, not even a mm deep i rekn lol.

RtN
24-10-2008, 12:50 AM
pretty gay, cost $18 to.

nah man scratchx really helps... you just have to know how to apply it right!! you need 3-4 applications because it contains deminishing micro abrasives some what. This means that it will stop being an abrasive after some rubbing and turn into a polish instead(non abrasive-when the product being worked is clear). So you have to apply it like 3-4 times to the same area to get a better result!

DaveXR8
25-10-2008, 05:28 AM
pretty gay, cost $18 to.

Scratch X is actually a filler/polish.
Being non abrasive, it fills in the defects instead of cutting back paint to level it out. So you are not actually fixing the problem, just hiding it.
The down side to this is that it washes out and will need to be reapplied.
If you are going to use this then you will need to apply it a few times to fill in the scratches properly. Make sure you give it about 15 minutes between each application.

Cheers:thumbsup:
Dave

johnprocter
25-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Being non abrasive, it fills in the defects instead of cutting back paint to level it out. So you are not actually fixing the problem, just hiding it.
If you are going to use this then you will need to apply it a few times to fill in the scratches properly. Make sure you give it about 15 minutes between each application.

Dave

yeah i got some scratchX the other day gonna use it on a few places on my car after a wash

mattchuej8
25-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Dave

Oh swear! :)
great help man, +1
thanks for the information.

RtN
25-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Hmm ... from what the meguiar's guys told me it is a a light abrasive while you use it at the beginning but then deminishes into a filler/polish after rubbing so thats why we gotta use it on many applications ._. meh dunno.

DaveXR8
25-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Hmm ... from what the meguiar's guys told me it is a a light abrasive while you use it at the beginning but then deminishes into a filler/polish after rubbing so thats why we gotta use it on many applications ._. meh dunno.

Hmm...mixed opinions:o

I was actually reading the directions of the scratch x today (on Autogeek) and it mentions that you have to apply it and let it haze before buffing it off.
From my experince, once a normal abrasive polish has been worked I will then buff it off straight away.
Where as with the scratch X you have to let it haze/dry then buff off residue. I only do this when applying glazes or fillers.

I had a client which used it before and mentioned it washed out after a few washes.
Might have to go and get some off him and test it on my spare panel to see for myself.

Dave

migoreng
25-10-2008, 06:37 PM
instead of making a new thread and since you guys are talking about kitten cutting compound and scratchx...

can i do anything decent with these 2 products with some cloths?
like apply some cutting compound then scratch x..then i heard there's a quick detailer spray bottle...then apply wax..

will that work?
i've got these 2 problems.
it seems the top of my front bumper where it meets the grill looks a little faded and rough..
my hood looks ok but close up it's full of scratches visible in the sun and it feels rough when i run my hands over it...
cheers

i was thinking clay bar first but i don't want to go out there and spend $50 if some cutting compound/scratch x and wax and do something decent
lol

trism
25-10-2008, 06:45 PM
kitten comes with a foam applicator

use it and scurb in an up and down motion till your hand bleeds

then do the same with an open weave cloth till gone

repeat if necessary

migoreng
25-10-2008, 06:49 PM
lol
rub it til my hands bleed??

i'm scared i might take off the paint and ruin my hood/bumper completely..
so are you saying cutting compound alone can make my hood look a little better?

DaveXR8
25-10-2008, 06:55 PM
OK. It was ratting my brain thinking about what Scratch X actually is so I rang one of my mates which uses Meguiars heaps.:o
So heres the deal. Scratch X is a deminishing polish which starts as an abrasive then breaks down to a filler/glaze (you were right RTN:thumbsup:)
This will only be able to remove light scratches and swirls because the abrasives in this are only light. If the abrasives were anymore aggressive then it would be impossible for it to break down into a filler/polish.
If there are more serious defects then I would recommend using a cutting polish first then follow up with the Scratch X if that is what you prefer to use.

Hope this helps ya'll. It helped me:D

Dave

trism
25-10-2008, 06:58 PM
lol
rub it til my hands bleed??

i'm scared i might take off the paint and ruin my hood/bumper completely..
so are you saying cutting compound alone can make my hood look a little better?

it wont take paint off

its not like sandpaper

you cant even feel the grit

power_of_dreams
25-10-2008, 07:00 PM
^^
correct!

Just a tip for anybody thinking of buying scratch x, if you can feel it with your fingernail, scratch x is not going to help. It is a decent product though.

RtN
25-10-2008, 07:10 PM
helped me with my holograms on bonnet on two applications but hmm had no time for any more.

migoreng
26-10-2008, 09:56 AM
tried some cutting compound on my hood...it has smoothed out the paint heaps..

before when i ran my fingers over the paint, i would hear squeaks and it felt sticky..
some scratches are still there but my hood definately looks a little better and sparkly :D
then i did 2 applications of scratchx
i don't hours and hours to detail my car but my hood does look a little more decent now..
lets hope it doesn't wash out in a few weeks and look horrible again
:p

trism
26-10-2008, 04:03 PM
never just use cutting compund and leave it

itll go ****ed in no time

you should use cutting compound, then wash the car, then wax/polish

I heart the SSS
27-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Matt followed what I said and his car looks great / he knows how to fix paint.

If MWAKU reads this thread, he'll be like Matt, and know how to cut back and polish the paint to make it look like new.

Don't be scared to use stuff on your paint, it's not some custom paintjob worth $10,000

Just HTFU and do it. What i'm more worried about is the fact you'd paint ontop of it rather then rub it back.

WTF!?