PDA

View Full Version : Do dealers change to full synthetic for you after 1000km service

Catcha
07-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Just wondering since i have search all the post reguarding this
Do dealers change to full synthetic after the 1000kms or 5000km or do you have to do it yourself.

In regards to bringing your own oil in, i asked but they said to keep your warranty you need to use honda oil.

Is there a way to do it besides doing the service elsewhere ?

Jus-10
07-10-2004, 11:40 AM
As said before, using non-Honda oil WILL NOT void your warranty - if they tell you otherwise, they are simply trying to make sure that you take your car to Honda for servicing (because they charge more than your usual mechanic generally)

I would say that most dealers will not use full synthetic unless you specifically ask for it.

Do not go to full synthetic until your 5,000km service. Your engine is still running in at 1,000km so it needs the mineral oil whilst the engine is bedding in.

wyl03
07-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Hornsby Honda didn't even use Honda oil for my 1000km service. they use REPSOL.

Catcha
07-10-2004, 06:24 PM
hahaha everyone has different opinions on when to go synthetic i don't know who to listen to :D

Jus-10
07-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Go to synthetic once the engine is run in (generally about 5,000km)

ahcash
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Here I go again with the engine oil.... (I have search thru all threads but none are for Jazz...)

Me Jazz has done 5000km. I am thinking of changing the engine oil myself until 10,000km for the Honda Dealers... I will go with Castrol Formula R Synthetic 5W-30, not as good as Motul or Redline but I suppose you pay for what you get... My other questions is:

- Is 5W-30 the right grade for Jazz?? Short distance driving most days and like revving the engine a bit...

- I am also considering Mobil 1 but they only have 0w-40, 10w-30 or 5w-50. Which one is suitable for Jazz :confused: ?? High Revv...

ICACHA
08-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Synthetic IMO is too think for everyday cars. I had it in my HSV Walkinshaw and it was using it up. I had NO leaks, NO smoke ,but couldn't work out where it was going. So I went back to the old fashioned stuff :)

Zimp13
08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Synthetic IMO is too think for everyday cars. I had it in my HSV Walkinshaw and it was using it up. I had NO leaks, NO smoke ,but couldn't work out where it was going. So I went back to the old fashioned stuff :)

thats y most dealer uses mineral oil..... synthetic oil burns more..... its cleaner than mineral though.....

Easyjet
08-04-2005, 07:34 PM
If using non-original Honda oil is the dealer's argument to void our warranty, can I use Original Honda Synthetic oil?

If it is legal to import motor oil into Australia. I'll ship it in myself, easily available for sale in asian countries (such as Honda Singapore). I'll ask my friends there to buy it, and to send 10-15 bottles to me via sea freight. It should last me for a few years of ownership. LOL :)

http://asiapac.worldpay.com/cnb/shop/hondakah?listPos=8&productID=341&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=4

It's about A$55 per bottle, after discount before 10% GST, expensive when compared to that FEO stuff, but I still like synthetic.

D16Y
08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
thats y most dealer uses mineral oil..... synthetic oil burns more..... its cleaner than mineral though.....

:thumbdwn: wtf man :thumbdwn: , provided that you are using the correct viscosity, synthetic oil doesnt burn more easily. in general synthetics have a much more stable viscosity at higher temps, not like mineral oil They break down much more easily in comparison to synthetics

dealers use mineral oil coz its cheaper.

D16Y
08-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Here I go again with the engine oil.... (I have search thru all threads but none are for Jazz...)

Me Jazz has done 5000km. I am thinking of changing the engine oil myself until 10,000km for the Honda Dealers... I will go with Castrol Formula R Synthetic 5W-30, not as good as Motul or Redline but I suppose you pay for what you get... My other questions is:

- Is 5W-30 the right grade for Jazz?? Short distance driving most days and like revving the engine a bit...

- I am also considering Mobil 1 but they only have 0w-40, 10w-30 or 5w-50. Which one is suitable for Jazz :confused: ?? High Revv...

id say 5w-30 is perfect for ur jazz :thumbsup:

Poeter
09-04-2005, 09:54 AM
When doing the 1000km service, Do you take it in when it's just under 1000km or just above 1000km since it's you can't get it exactly 1000km??

I just done about 1066km and i can't take it to service til tuesday since honda's servicing department is closed for the weekends and i need to use the car on monday.

I'm gonna estimate my clock is going to do up to 1200km, and by doing the extra 200km, is it going to do any damage?

ahcash
09-04-2005, 10:00 AM
When doing the 1000km service, Do you take it in when it's just under 1000km or just above 1000km since it's you can't get it exactly 1000km??

I just done about 1066km and i can't take it to service til tuesday since honda's servicing department is closed for the weekends and i need to use the car on monday.

I'm gonna estimate my clock is going to do up to 1200km, and by doing the extra 200km, is it going to do any damage?

Don't worry dude... it's not going to do any damage... The first 2 services are very important as the engine is running in. That's why I rather not wait till 10,000km and spend a bit more to do my own 5,000km service.

yfin
09-04-2005, 10:02 AM
A couple of things

Castrol Formula R Synthetic 5W-30 is good just be aware it is not full synthetic - it is semi
honda dealers generally do not use full synthetic as the Honda range of oils is semi
you can bring your own oil to the dealer (or any mechanic) when you service - i usually do this
use an oil that meets the specifications of your vehicle to avoid warranty problems (check your manual for specifications)
as people have said - probably best to wait until 10,000kms until you switch to full synthetic like Mobil1, Shell Helix Ultra, etc.

Dreams
09-04-2005, 11:46 AM
what happend if you dont service the car for the 5000KM ?

ahcash
09-04-2005, 05:54 PM
what happend if you dont service the car for the 5000KM ?

Will be fine... Recommended every 10,000km service by Honda...

Dreams
10-04-2005, 12:10 PM
thx for the reply cash, i need to change the oil i feel it running abit rough meh..

Poeter
10-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Sorry if i sound like i don't know a thing about cars but what's the difference between mineral and synthetic engine oil??

Zimp13
10-04-2005, 07:29 PM
i think that castrol R is fully synthetic. Review :
CASTROL FORMULA R SYNTHETIC 5W-30
A synthetic 5W-30 viscosity engine oil which enables faster acceleration with excellent engine protection and performance. If offers excellent engine cold start responsiveness and contributes to increased fuel efficiency. Recommended for highly tuned, four cylinder engines and latest technology engines requiring 5W-30 or 10W-30 viscosity. Approved for use by Porsche, VW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz. SAE 5W-30, API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4

Dreams
10-04-2005, 09:01 PM
what oil you guys recomend the best?
brand?

yfin
10-04-2005, 09:06 PM
i think that castrol R is fully synthetic. Review :
CASTROL FORMULA R SYNTHETIC 5W-30
A synthetic 5W-30 viscosity engine oil which enables faster acceleration with excellent engine protection and performance. If offers excellent engine cold start responsiveness and contributes to increased fuel efficiency. Recommended for highly tuned, four cylinder engines and latest technology engines requiring 5W-30 or 10W-30 viscosity. Approved for use by Porsche, VW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz. SAE 5W-30, API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4

Sorry to break it to you - it is semi-synthetic. Only the $60+ Formula R 0-40 is full synthetic.

Look at this:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=8000005&contentId=6032084

and compare it to this (no reference to FULL synthetic aye?)
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=8000007&contentId=6008978

Clever marketing that is all.

THRUST
11-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Just use the Honda oil, it semi synthetic and will be fine.

tanalasta
12-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Hmm... are people sure the Honda oil is semi-synth?

As to which oil is better and whether using non Honda FEO will void warranty - I've talked to the different service managers at the various dealers and they all use different oil! None of which is FEO unless you ask for it.

civiceg9
12-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I use 0w-30 for winter and 0w-40 for summer
just use what honda recommand within the user manual and you will be fine.

aaronng
12-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Hmm... are people sure the Honda oil is semi-synth?

As to which oil is better and whether using non Honda FEO will void warranty - I've talked to the different service managers at the various dealers and they all use different oil! None of which is FEO unless you ask for it.
Honda oil is mineral. The only Honda FEO that is semi-synthetic is the one sold in South East Asia. Not Australia.

And yeah, using non-Honda oil does not void you warranty as long as you use the same or better. The only way to use a worse oil than FEO is to go for a $15 mineral oil that is the wrong viscosity.

chicken8
14-06-2006, 08:58 PM
If using non-original Honda oil is the dealer's argument to void our warranty, can I use Original Honda Synthetic oil?

If it is legal to import motor oil into Australia. I'll ship it in myself, easily available for sale in asian countries (such as Honda Singapore). I'll ask my friends there to buy it, and to send 10-15 bottles to me via sea freight. It should last me for a few years of ownership. LOL :)

http://asiapac.worldpay.com/cnb/shop/hondakah?listPos=8&productID=341&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=4

It's about A$55 per bottle, after discount before 10% GST, expensive when compared to that FEO stuff, but I still like synthetic.

theres a date on the side of the bottle. is that a used by date for the engine oil?