PDA

View Full Version : tierod ends?

jeffreymui
22-10-2008, 07:20 PM
today i went for a wheel alignment....after i went in...and saw my car was jacked up......10 mins later...the guy came in and said to me....mate ur tierod ends is gone.....and quote me a price $210 for the front tierodends......so what do i do now? that does the tierod end do? duno if im posting in a proper section....but will u guys please give me a hand on this? its qite urgent.....thanks guys><

bennjamin
22-10-2008, 10:32 PM
tie rod ends transfer the steering rack movement to the knuckles....and turn the wheels left and right. The part which is worn , is the ball joint itself jeff -

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm292/seanzorio/Tie%20Rod%20End%20install/Picture047.jpg

vinnY
23-10-2008, 11:49 AM
when i took out my tie rod only the inner joint was worn
the outer ball joint that connected to the knuckle was still rock solid

saxophonias
04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Are there any performance tie rod ends? I bet they could give a better wheel response and tightness!

ek4-guy
04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Are there any performance tie rod ends? I bet they could give a better wheel response and tightness!

race cars use rose joints but i'm not sure if they are legal for road use

I heart the SSS
04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
race cars use rose joints but i'm not sure if they are legal for road use

A friend of mine runs rose joints in his 86 on the road, seems to be legal?

string
05-11-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't know how you can get a better performing tie-rod than a stock one. They are a ball and socket joint, and will have just as much play as a heim/rose joint but can be sealed 10x as easily and won't make any noise. A possible performance increase might occur in a lowered vehicle where you move the tie-rod end to the underside of the upright instead of from above, potentially removing a lot of bump-steer - but that a can of worms for another thread.

For $210 make sure he is using OEM Honda parts. Should be an hour's labour at most then a wheel alignment on top.