PDA

View Full Version : Autospeed Euro test claims detonation...

yfin
23-10-2008, 06:34 AM
(http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_110863/article.html%5C)http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_110863/article.html

The minimum fuel octane is 95 RON; we inadvertently added some 91 RON fuel to one of the cars and the engine could be heard detonating, especially at low revs in tall gears when using small throttle openings. (The other car detonated on the fuel provided in the car by Honda - and then also on the 95 RON we added!)

johnprocter
23-10-2008, 06:35 AM
detonation?? the link doesnt work 4 me

yfin
23-10-2008, 06:37 AM
detonation?? the link doesnt work 4 me

fixed it - yeah detonation - otherwise known as pinging that members here have claimed.

unity
23-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Good article and right to the point. I am glad I read this because I am having the following problem and didn't realise it was a characteristic of the car.

But the auto trans has calibration that is less than perfect. The problem is that in some conditions it will allow the engine to go into too a high a gear too early. This can result in the engine lugging at around 1500 rpm at low road speeds, something that causes a slight boom in the cabin and makes the car feel sluggish.

I have a CL9 and seem to notice this slugishness arount 1700-2200RPM. What can be done about this other than drive the car in tiptronic mode? At the end of the day being an automatic it should do this itself!!

tron07
23-10-2008, 08:51 AM
CU2 got a big trashing there.....

OMG.JAI xD
23-10-2008, 09:13 AM
at the place i work with honda upstairs i know they use unleaded on all hondas.
reason is for "price" issues.
every single dollar they can cut down they will.
but dont notice/dont care about the 95 ron rating on honda cars.

just to let you all know =]

when buying new honda i reckon. octane boost and premium/ultimate/v power the next fill up.

=]

centurionau
23-10-2008, 09:27 AM
This was a very honest article, and has made me decide not to get the CU2.

I may wait for the mid life update in 2-3 years, and hope to goodness that this pinging/detonation issue is resolved.

SteveH
23-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I have to disagree with the person who wrote the article in regards to interior space. I am 6 foot 2 and if I have the drivers seat in a comfortable position, I can still fit in the rear seat directly behind the drivers seat. It is not exactly spacious, but I can fit. I also find that the only time I hit my head on the roof in the rear, is if I lean right back. Also, my wife has a baby seat in the back of her Mazda 3, and there is still plenty of room, so I don't see how this would be any different in the larger Euro.

Seems like the reviewer instantly hated the car. Also, when he says some of the guages didn't seem logical, these are things that you get used to with a car. Will he write off any European car because the indicator and wiper stalks are on the wrong side for the Aussie market?

The X Man
23-10-2008, 12:03 PM
He isn't the first to complain about the CU2 and certainly won't be the last.

The reasons why i didn't buy a CU2 are :

- The dash looks shit
- The rear parcel shelf is a shit colour
- The boot is all but gone in the base model
- Legroom seemed less in the CU2 then in the CL9
- Dealers didn't want to discount

By the sounds of it i was lucky to not have bought a CU2 anyway!

tony1234
23-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I may wait for the mid life update in 2-3 years, and hope to goodness that this pinging/detonation issue is resolved.
I think this is a good policy to apply to all makes and brands of cars.

as001
24-10-2008, 08:20 AM
this article was super critical he must be a falcodore lover ;p the cu2 is a good car i would take review with a grain of salt

Bobjones
24-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Maybe with an article being critical of the pinging they might fix it....

I have received a letter from Honda Australia guaranteeing my engine and gearbox for life (as long as I own the car and maintain it per the scheduled maintenance) due to this noise. It is a combination of engine and gearbox and simply needs to be rectified. Anyone worth their salt would research a car before buying and I am sure this article and also this forum will show up reducing sales of what I would otherwise consider a great car (for the missus and I whom are only 6 foot...)

tron07
24-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Also, when he says some of the guages didn't seem logical, these are things that you get used to with a car.

I had the same thought and after looking at the fuel gauge for sometime, I understood what the writer meant. It would defininetly better if honda had put the 1/2 tank part of the fuel meter at the 3 o'clock position instead of the 2 o'clock position. Easier to read, but thats just some minor minor issue.

Like how Nissan get the makers of GT4 to design the interface of the multi display in their GTR, because they can do a better job then nissan.

aaronng
24-10-2008, 03:09 PM
this article was super critical he must be a falcodore lover ;p the cu2 is a good car i would take review with a grain of salt

DISAGREE! Because he loved the CL9 Accord Euro manual back in 2003. :p http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_1939/article.html

tron07
24-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I think its like what happen to Golf GTi... from Mk1 &2, it grew fat and ugly, then back to the current which is good...

MKI4EVA
24-10-2008, 03:44 PM
- Dealers didn't want to discount

stood out like a sore thumb. :thumbsup:

aaronng
24-10-2008, 07:19 PM
stood out like a sore thumb. :thumbsup:

Wait 1 year and they will discount. Same thing happened with the CL9.

bigdongers
25-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Wait 1 year and they will discount. Same thing happened with the CL9.

they may even discount earlier with the economic downturn. they will be selling less cars overall and may be keen to do a deal.

MiSloVic
25-10-2008, 05:50 AM
they may even discount earlier with the economic downturn. they will be selling less cars overall and may be keen to do a deal. well, if they keep the euro au current prices, it will be hard to discount, given au$ had crashed almost 40pc.
Prices will be going up, if it stays au such low rates.

odor
25-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I got quite a discount imo on the CU2 Sat Nav when Honda had the one day sale thing. It came to a total of $45,500 inc. on road + other charges and I got spoiler, coloured mudflaps, boot tray, window tinting, and floor mats all thrown in.

~Bunanie~
25-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I got quite a discount imo on the CU2 Sat Nav when Honda had the one day sale thing. It came to a total of $45,500 inc. on road + other charges and I got spoiler, coloured mudflaps, boot tray, window tinting, and floor mats all thrown in.

Wow thats a pretty good deal mate! :thumbsup:
All that thrown in for that price is pretty good!

Bobjones
27-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Not to mention the free rattle when it comes around...

frank87
27-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Not to mention the free rattle when it comes around...

LOL

you guys might wanna get the number plate checked out as most of the euros come with no cusion. it can create a loud rattle when moving.

SPQR
27-10-2008, 09:18 PM

I don't think so. He used to write for Fast Fours and Rotaries. I met him when he was in the process of leaving: He came up to Darwin to photograph my Mazda Familia GT-X Turbo. It eventually got into Fast Fours and Rotaries two years later but under someone else's name and not Julian. He had a Skyline GTR for a while with which he experimented with the AWD/HiCAS computer to try and get the thing to handle.

yfin
28-10-2008, 05:39 AM
the author can be critical - but he says it like it is. I think his Euro article is very fair. If you think the Euro was hammered look at this on the Evo X!!

http://blog.autospeed.com/2008/10/08/the-disappointing-lancer-evo-x/

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_110868/article.html

aaronng
28-10-2008, 08:32 AM
the author can be critical - but he says it like it is. I think his Euro article is very fair. If you think the Euro was hammered look at this on the Evo X!!

http://blog.autospeed.com/2008/10/08/the-disappointing-lancer-evo-x/

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_110868/article.html

He said something similar when he reviewed the previous gen STI and compared it to the regular WRX. Too much turbo lag and needs lots of whipping to get close to the 5.x second 0-100 time that you're better off getting the regular WRX. LOL. I like his autospeed reviews. Even the current CRV gets hammered front left and centre. And his Peugeot 407 HDI review was scathing! http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2964/article.html