PDA

View Full Version : [cl9] rattle/buzz under low rpm

power_of_dreams
23-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi, I've rediscovered a rattle/buzz under low rpm (I say rediscovered because I had it, it went away, and now its back again).

It seems to be coming from passenger side, behind glovebox & possibly from the engine bay. It occurs when cruising at ~3000rpm in 2nd or 3rd then giving a substantial amount of throttle.

I previously took it to a dealership, they had a look and could not find it (although they said it was not coming from the engine itself). They then went on about how they would have to charge me by the hour to keep looking and my icebox possibly being the problem (yada yada etc etc)

Just wondering if anybody has had this one before or has any possibly ideas as to what I could look for.

Cheers:thumbsup:

edit: does anybody thing getting a torque dampener might help?

felixd
23-10-2008, 10:07 AM
LOL straight away they blame ur icebox :D hahahahaha how lame the mechanics sometimes :P tell em they dunno crap ! ! ! hmm maybe try to wiggle abit on ur radiator mounts ? maybe thats caused it/
check the inside of stock headers cuz there's like something in between it maybe that's falling off :D

power_of_dreams
23-10-2008, 12:54 PM
check INSIDE headers?

felixd
23-10-2008, 01:02 PM
there s like a peice of metal shimm on the mid section of the header if not check your header shield maybe ???

Crapdaz
23-10-2008, 01:19 PM
from what your stating, is this rattle more like a metal clanging noise?

possibilities it may be your header bolt coming loose.

What mods have you got on your car?

power_of_dreams
23-10-2008, 01:49 PM
icebox only. also had the rattle once before icebox so i dont think its the problem

it sounds like a very slow buzzing, almost like an exhaust sound (hard to describe).
Quite deep, not tinny. (rofl at describing sounds)

I think it may be a bolt.
Apart from the header bolt what other bolts should I look out for?

Regarding the torque dampener, that would actually make any vibration worse wouldn't it!

felixd
23-10-2008, 01:59 PM
yes torque damper ull be getting harsh vibrations . maybe ur cat is gone :D busted cat can make a rattling noise aswell .

power_of_dreams
23-10-2008, 02:12 PM
busted cat = :( not :D

aaronng
23-10-2008, 02:15 PM
LOL straight away they blame ur icebox :D hahahahaha how lame the mechanics sometimes :P tell em they dunno crap ! ! ! hmm maybe try to wiggle abit on ur radiator mounts ? maybe thats caused it/
check the inside of stock headers cuz there's like something in between it maybe that's falling off :D

When you install the icebox, you remove the intake resonator, which can be a source of vibration. I'd say his rattling sound comes from the damper that is used to smoothen the opening action of the glovebox. To test, just get some one to press on the glovebox while you drive. The rattle should go away.

Arkayn
25-10-2008, 12:44 PM
icebox only. also had the rattle once before icebox so i dont think its the problem

it sounds like a very slow buzzing, almost like an exhaust sound (hard to describe).
Quite deep, not tinny. (rofl at describing sounds)

I think it may be a bolt.
Apart from the header bolt what other bolts should I look out for?

Regarding the torque dampener, that would actually make any vibration worse wouldn't it!
Finally someone gets the exact sound I get from mine in the same way. Sounds like a bolt vibrating very fast when sligtly loose (thats the sound description not what I think is happening).

simonnowis
25-10-2008, 02:12 PM
its definately something loose that is causing the rattle, for me, i get rattle from the cat sometimes, i think theres rocks that are caught up there. havent had the time to investigate.
its unbelievable, that there are so many useless mechanics out there. before when i gave cat bolts to the mechanic to put on, he said its the wrong one and doesnt fit, i later discovered he was trying to put the spring between the cat and the exhaust pipe when its ment to go behind it. I just put it on myself at home, wasted 50bucks for his bs.

power_of_dreams
25-10-2008, 06:37 PM
It seems to have gone for the time being, but I have no doubt it will show again.
Just by ear, I dont think its rocks in the undertray because the sound would be more "random". My buzz definately has a distinct frequency to it.

From what I recall it started with a slow frequency (more like a rattle) then picked up to be more like a constant quick buzzing sound.

I havn't had a proper look yet, but suggestions of cat/header bolts are interesting considering it definately sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Will report back with findings tommorow

yfin
25-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I think I know what this random buzz is! I had the same thing with my icebox - drove me nuts for weeks.

What you need to do is to wedge something betwen the icebox and the fuse box so the icebox sits a few cm more forward in the engine bay (ie with one hand pull the icebox forward towards the front of the car and then wedge the item in there). The noise went away for me permanently. I used some soft plastic material and wedged it in there as you can see in the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3661.jpg?t=1224924296

power_of_dreams
25-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey yfin,
I had the rattle well before I had the icebox, might be worth a try though.
Cheers!

ndeuro_
26-10-2008, 11:36 PM
heatshield just under the cabin.

power_of_dreams
27-10-2008, 08:50 AM
sorry don't understand.
you mean header heatshield?

aaronng
27-10-2008, 09:02 AM
sorry don't understand.
you mean header heatshield?

I think he means the heatshield which lines the entire exhaust tunnel.

power_of_dreams
27-10-2008, 09:11 AM
dang, don't have jacks/ramps

aaronng
27-10-2008, 09:20 AM
dang, don't have jacks/ramps

Jackstands at the very least. I had a trolley jack just lower itself down while my car was on it. Luckily I was no where near underneath and had actually gone to get the jackstands to prop the car up.

Ramps are good if you front bumper clears the ramp. I found that even stock cars can scrape the ramps.

ndeuro_
27-10-2008, 12:16 PM
jack and stands would be the best option. go supercheap. stands are 30bux a pair and the stands would set u back 70-80 for the 1400kg ones

power_of_dreams
22-04-2009, 09:39 PM
the sound is back lol
it's not any of the heat shields, have checked all that, and the sound appears to be coming from passenger side behind glovebox or near the engine bay side of the firewall.

yfin, did you have the rattle before you had the icebox?

aaronng
22-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Get someone to put their hand on your glovebox and push it in when you hear the rattle. If it goes away, then your glovebox is deformed.

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 12:28 AM
hypothetically, if it is, no quick fix I assume?

aaronng
23-04-2009, 01:02 AM
hypothetically, if it is, no quick fix I assume?

Try adjusting the glovebox. 2 screws at the bottom latch. Otherwise, replace it. But it gets distorted eventually. I am on glovebox #2 and it is starting to rattle again.

Crapdaz
23-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Is it a rattle or a buzzing?

buzzing could be the panel filter not seating properly in the box which could also cause a rattle.
rechecked all your bolts attaching the box?

M@lew
23-04-2009, 09:21 AM
You haven't done anything to your exhaust have you Steve? I had a full exhaust put in my car and I get a weird noise above 3,000 rpm with 50%+ throttle and I've been told that's normal by 2 mechanics.

Crapdaz
23-04-2009, 10:34 AM
diff car, with the jazz + exhaust done, you get more vibrations into the cabin.
compared to the euro.

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Try adjusting the glovebox. 2 screws at the bottom latch. Otherwise, replace it. But it gets distorted eventually. I am on glovebox #2 and it is starting to rattle again.

will check this, was it covered under warranty? I've taken it to them before and they couldn't find the problem, although the best I could describe to them was what I've described here.

Is it a rattle or a buzzing?

buzzing could be the panel filter not seating properly in the box which could also cause a rattle.
rechecked all your bolts attaching the box?

I would call it more a buzzing. Pretty much only happens under load when I need 3000rpm+ or going up hills when it needs a bit. Not sure which filter you mean, I'd be more convinced it is the cabin air filter though.

You haven't done anything to your exhaust have you Steve? I had a full exhaust put in my car and I get a weird noise above 3,000 rpm with 50%+ throttle and I've been told that's normal by 2 mechanics.

No exhaust. It's definately on the passenger side corner so I doubt it is a motor/exhaust problem.

Crapdaz
23-04-2009, 11:50 AM
If you have changed the pollen filter, to an aftermarket one it fits snug with no rattles.
Because you have a icebox the filter inside is a panel filter. (cabin filter is known as pollen filter)

imo - i think it's the airfilter element.

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 01:44 PM
cabin pollen filter is aftermarket but no rattles.
the sound was there before the icebox, so I don't think the icebox filter is the problem.

aaronng, when you say adjust the glovebox screws, do you mean tighten or loosen? They are already pretty damn tight.

I played the CD with all the different frequencies and I picked up a couple of rattles/buzzes from the glovebox that seemed to go away when I pushed the glovebox in. I am not 100% sure this is the same rattle as the one I am talking about (when I played the CD I got rattles from parcel shelf, centre console, door inserts, just about everywhere!)

aaronng
23-04-2009, 02:40 PM
cabin pollen filter is aftermarket but no rattles.
the sound was there before the icebox, so I don't think the icebox filter is the problem.

aaronng, when you say adjust the glovebox screws, do you mean tighten or loosen? They are already pretty damn tight.

I played the CD with all the different frequencies and I picked up a couple of rattles/buzzes from the glovebox that seemed to go away when I pushed the glovebox in. I am not 100% sure this is the same rattle as the one I am talking about (when I played the CD I got rattles from parcel shelf, centre console, door inserts, just about everywhere!)
If it is not the same rattle, then keep on looking. Could be some intake resonance.

The glovebox screws, you loosen them, reposition the glovebox so it sits tight and then tighten the screws.

unity
23-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Have you checked your bonnet lid to see if that's vibrating? I could hear mine rattle from inside the car.