PDA

View Full Version : EM1 noise problem when accelerating

akira
23-10-2008, 01:31 PM
hey guys,

i just installed a whole lot of parts into my em1 including koni shocks (height and damper adjustable), exedy clutch, spoon flywheel, xforce 4-2-1 header and cat. but when i accelerate between 1500rpm and 2000rpm, there is a rattle or a vibration noise from under the gearbox. im thinking its the lose cat or lose bolts to the exhaust or something but im not sure what it is.
its been there ever since i installed the parts, but havent had the chance to find out where it is and it only vibrates when the car is in motion between those to rev points.

any suggestions?or should i take it to a exhaust shop?

thanks!

philBo
23-10-2008, 10:39 PM
best bet is just to check your exhaust is all nicely tightened up...then check to make sure your sussy is all secured. failing that you'll take it to a mech to check the other shit :)

process of elimination will help

g.ta
24-10-2008, 12:55 AM
yep must be a loose bolt of somesort, get under there n have a lookie.

MikeyG
24-10-2008, 01:48 AM
did u put the headers urself or pro? if pro obv take it back, if not.

as both of above said.. check the bolts.. something is loose and has not been tightend right,

it could also be the koni's just becasue it comes underneath the engine doesnt mean it cant come from the sussy.. check them aswell, just check all parts you have installed then tightend all up, take for a test drive if nothing happens, take to mech asap so you fuk up anything.

gg and gl

akira
26-10-2008, 05:16 PM
thanks guys...
i got a pro to do it for me but his gone overseas and im not sure when he's coming back. but from the sounds of it, i think its coming from the exhaust...the shocks just made squeeking noises because of the new rubber bit and some wd40 fixed it up. i havent had the chance to check the exhaust but when i do i will jack it up and check it out...
if its the bolts then it should be easy to tighten up, if there is no bolt then ill just get one and install it....what if its not the bolts? get another mech to check it up yeah?

philBo
27-10-2008, 08:10 AM
are you running your stock exhaust? or did you also get a new catback in the process?

if you did, i was thinking your exhaust might be hitting something. should be pretty easy to fix imo.

mrwillz
27-10-2008, 09:30 AM
are you running your stock exhaust? or did you also get a new catback in the process?

if you did, i was thinking your exhaust might be hitting something. should be pretty easy to fix imo.

im thinking the same as philbo
could be the cat knocking as you take off at that rpm

akira
27-10-2008, 11:04 AM
ive had the catback installed ages ago.never had a problem with it unless when they installed the headers and hi-flow cat, they might have taken the catback off as well so it was easier to install?

denrie
27-10-2008, 09:22 PM
it could maybe be ur bolts from ur extractors from the start of the b pipe or even maybe ur cat

vinnY
28-10-2008, 01:11 PM
short shifter? might be hitting the exhaust pipe
does it sound like rice being shaken in a metal container? had the problem before, turns out little bits of metal from welding snapped off and was collecting in the cat
everytime between 1500-2100rpm it'd rattle like rice in a tin can or tiny bits of metal inside a cat

akira
29-10-2008, 09:38 AM
i dont have a short shifter...nah its like a low vibration noise.
its loud when i accelerate slower but nah so when i accelerate a bit harder....

bennjamin
29-10-2008, 09:54 AM
its def. relative to your recent mods install.

ID say jack up the car on a hoist and have a good poke around with a rubber mallet and see if anything is loose. Chances are its to do with the header....i think the rear bracket is loose or not connected at all ( located just behind the sump , around the collector area. )