PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Civic Coupe' "D16Y8 to a B16A"

kyle
05-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Hey guys

Im the owner of a 96' Civic Coupe' and I I simply want more power for as cheap as possible(As any driver would). I was just wondering is it worth doing this engine transplant or can I extract a fair amount of power from my D16Y8 without a turbo? Price is a bit of an issue, being 17(working at a supermarket) pretty much the only way i could ever possibly afford the transplant is if I could get a good price for my D16( emaculate condition ... What price could I sell my D16 for?).... Ive decided to look for these power upgrades as I could only just keep up with a 1.5 Litre Lancer... :( how embarrising :oops: ..... any information you guys could give me is greatly appreciated as im fairly new to this stuff.

Kyle

Weq
05-11-2003, 12:48 PM
What are u smoking, only just keep up with a 1.5l lancer? He musta been forced/transplanted atleast. The d16y8 is rated at 127hp, just a bit shy of 100kw. The lancer u played with is 30KW at the fly slower. That said, at a recent dyno day i went to with 2 different 1.8L lancers (exhaust/intake/headers) pulled up either side of my Stock d16y1 (same as ur y8 basically).
Lancer 1: 65kw
Me: 66kw
Lancer 2: 68kw

Transplant wise, look at the other threads for info on price. Just fyi, ur car is OBD2 and i'm sure u will need ECU/wiring loom//engine/gearbox from the b16a atleast to get the thing running. Modification wise, it should be an relitivly easy fit though.

In summation, all this with insurance costs added, u wont be able to afford a swapped Civic just yet.

VTi-RT
05-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Your best to buy a half cut of a VTi-R. You can't interchange parts between the two engines, so accessories will cost heaps. You'll have to save around $4-$5k in order to get a proper conversion.

with that money, you can get a bolt-on turbo kit. All the guys in the states do turbo installs instead of engine conversions as it's cheaper and you should be able to get much more power then plain B16A conversion.

A'PEXi
06-11-2003, 12:41 AM
its going to be hard to get alot more power and not spend a bit of money... the engine transplant will give you a good solid gain but its 4-5k worth... the d16y8 should be able to smoke 1.5 lancers no prob as weq has mentioned the power differences between them :P

if you decide to keep the d16, and to modify that, it is still possible, might want to start modifying with the intake for starters, then possibly the throttle body with the port matched, intake manifold, exhaust, flywheel, clutch... from there u could probarbly choose to adjust compression or possibly increase the size of the pistons - have some $$ ready :?

Setanta
06-11-2003, 06:44 AM
If you sold the D16 complete with tranny and ECU (neither will be much use if you go B16/B18) you *may* get a grand for the lot, but that's about what a wrecker would get. Privately, it tends to be a buyers market.

If you got that, you could buy ALLMTR's CR-VTEC engine and gearbox (if you had a couple of hundred left over, but would still need an ECU, header, intake manifold and wiring loom mods.

A front cut can't really be had for under 2 grand - that's what you need to do the job properly.

I hope that puts things into perspective.

Cheers
Pete

ek004
07-11-2003, 07:24 PM
i dont mean to be rude...

dont transplant a b16 in it...

sell it and get a vti-r coupe if thats what u want
has everything u need and its factpry save you alotta hassles
IMO

good luck
Dave 8)

Weq
07-11-2003, 11:11 PM
he will pay atleast 8K in the difference if he gets a legit VTiR. I cant see the value in that if he is happy with everything else.

wynode
07-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Your vti coupe should be quick. As weq said, if you are loosing to any type of Lancer, then either the car has major issues, or the driver does :)

If doing the engine transplant, i'd go for the B18C over the b16a (for a bit more $$$).

Beauty of the vti-r is that it comes with ABS and other stylings which you won't have (I belive your coupe already should have airbags though).

As for the engine conversion costs, do a search. Factor in about 2-2.4K for labour + cost of the engine/front cut.

one more chance
08-11-2003, 04:57 PM
i dont mean to be rude...

dont transplant a b16 in it...

sell it and get a vti-r coupe if thats what u want
has everything u need and its factpry save you alotta hassles
IMO

good luck
Dave 8)

i wouldnt go b16a either, i'd try to source a b18c!

ah789454
09-11-2003, 01:08 PM
i would listen to what ek004 said. dont bother swapping to engine. my friend is in the same situation , he also wants to drop the b16a in his vti coupe. the thing is they quoted him just over 3k to supply and fit the engine. but listening to u boys he is gonna be in for a rude awakening. he is getting this done before christmas so ill let u boys know if everything went smoothly.

wynode
09-11-2003, 03:07 PM
3K for the full conversion?

That would be worth it for 3K, but then again I doubt its 3K for the full conversion as a frontcut alone costs around 2-2.5K :shock:

b16a_integra
09-11-2003, 03:47 PM
you could do it for 3k if you did it yourself, im doing one at the moment to my integra. the half cut cost me 2k. spending extra cash on stuff like oils, spark plugs, ect. im replacing all those, as you should.

wynode
09-11-2003, 05:16 PM
you could do it for 3k if you did it yourself

Yes, but he said:

the thing is they quoted him just over 3k to supply and fit the engine

:)

b16a_integra
09-11-2003, 09:24 PM
i meant, he must know someone to do it for that much, or the guy doesnt know how much work is actually involved. sorry for giving the wrong impression.

kyle
10-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Thanx to all who posted a reply to my question. You definantly put things into perspective for me :shock: (MONEY!!). I think for now ill just go the whole exaust, intake, ECU for my D16 and see how it goes. As for me loosing to a Lancer, I think its prolly cause ive only had my license for 3 months so im not that good at racing yet. ( Not that I race On The roads :roll: {if any police read this} )

Thankyou For all Posts

Kyle :D

A-man
14-04-2009, 11:39 PM
has anyone actually done this conversion???

ive just done one and pluged the engine harness straight into the gli harness and i cant get it to start any wiring mods i need to do?

hondavti25
22-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I am looking at the same kinda thing coz the bearings in my gear box are screwed apparently. Would you really notice that much of a differenace from the y8 to a b16? I was thinking go a b18c if your goin to be paying that much for a conversion.

dumped echo
22-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I would definately recommend doing all the labour yourself. You'll save money and enjoy doing it (most of the time). You'll also build a loving bond with your new faster car...haha

Price aside...If you are going to do it yourself its probabaly easier to just pop a turbo on it. You can do it in a couple of days if you have all the right parts and tools.

VTECnique
22-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Would you really notice that much of a differenace from the y8 to a b16?

Ah, ok, ill just pretend that you didnt say that.

For a Y8, to get the same amount of power as a B16A, you'd need an agressive cam, little bit of bottom end work, I/H/E, & a port n polish

B16a head flows more air, 2 cams that are more agressive, & higher comp.

Do the conversion yourself. you wont regret it. youll need, axles from any b-series, b16a ecu, motor mounts, im sure there's other bits ive left out aswell...

d15z1SUX
22-04-2009, 08:04 PM
woahhhhhhhhhhhhhh 2 2 2 2 2 2 2003~!!!

sorry just cudn't resist that... :P

Riviera
22-04-2009, 08:33 PM
woahhhhhhhhhhhhhh 2 2 2 2 2 2 2003~!!!

sorry just cudn't resist that... :P

lol u saying that bout the join date???? VTECnique apparently still a newcomer...?

look D16Y8s are quick, ask EK.1.6LCIV lol
hes got one with H/E done atm i reckon its quick and clean

i was tailing him with my B16A EK4 which i just freshly rebuilt
if you can do the work youself i recommend it... if not go B18C or turbo
but a B18C depending on whether we're talking VTi-R or B18CR/7

B18C from VTi-R has roughly same power as a B16A but more torque...
B18CR/7 sh!ts overall on anything besides K series lol

d15z1SUX
22-04-2009, 11:21 PM
coz this thread is from 2003... lol