PDA

View Full Version : crappy aftermarket fog light of FD1

damijordan
24-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I tried to look for my foggie at local electrician shop,but can't find any and simply bought the most expensive foggies on ebay which is146bucks(others is 99 and 139buck)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-Hybrid-06-FogLights-Fog-Lights-Lamps-NEW_W0QQitemZ260303749270QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 60303749270&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

After I bought it ,I felt a bit regretful.cause I called the honda dealer of mine,they said I have to change a new set of switch to control the foglight.And they said If u bought the aftermarket one,the switch is like a button or something.So I'm wondering about how to install the aftermarket switch after my parcle arrived(still on the way),cause I can't see any place on the dash could fit the button.I consulted some CIVIC 8th mates.They said there is a hole on the dash which should be put the VSA button on it,but unfortunately I didn't see the "reserved" hole on it at all...............they only button is the button to change the illumination brightness of dash and the SEL button which change the trip type of speedometer

Fuccking coufused now...............anybody can help? :(:(:(:(

dmx
24-10-2008, 05:15 PM
FD 2008+, get pocket above the SEL button
06-07, get 3 spare blank button which you use for aftermarket fog.
so in ur case, you need to buy :
1. 2 x blank button ($10 ea from honda dealer)
2. 1 x fog button (aftermarket - i assume come with aftermarket fog)
3. Button housing ($10 from Honda dealer)

dmx
24-10-2008, 05:20 PM
FYI. DO NOT put HID on aftermarkjet fog. share the issue from other forum
Firstly... our FD have stand alone fuse for the foggies... rated at 30A... located at the right lower portion of the driver side... Wat happened to me was that I put on a set of aftermarket foggies... Not Honda original... so this kind of oem one... really crappy I must say... they do not have the proper and correct connectors/connections to the car's circuits.... like mentioned above... there is a stand alone fuse would imply a proper circuit catered to foggies.... this oem foggies are manufactured in a way that they just plugged into the nearest available connector, which by the way is for other stuff as intented by Honda.... plugged in, switched on, works fine... cos the original halogen bulbs should be quite low in amperes....

Then i backside itchy like our fren here and go and install the HID lights... then it all happened... drive halfway... my aircon died, my central locking died... stopped the car, got out and look... my foggies died... then returned to workshop to check... fuse blown... and it was not the foggies' fuse!!! that when i realised the connection was to another circuit!!!... got some great help from a bro, i realised that the fuse blown was connected to a lot of important stuff.... realising it is not a play play matter... i quickly went back to my workshop to look for a solution.... at the same time realising and condemning the oem foggies....

Finally my electrical fellow proposed a solution which I think is the next best, short of buying a set of original Honda foggies.... He basically rewired the entire foggies circuitry to connect direct to my vehicle's mains... with a 30A fuse... That explains the fuse he saw in my ride... in this way, the foggies have a standalone circuit.... anything screws up on the foggies, most to most the 30A fuse blown .... nothing detrimental to my ride... good arrangement....

damijordan
24-10-2008, 06:34 PM
FYI. DO NOT put HID on aftermarkjet fog. share the issue from other forum
Firstly... our FD have stand alone fuse for the foggies... rated at 30A... located at the right lower portion of the driver side... Wat happened to me was that I put on a set of aftermarket foggies... Not Honda original... so this kind of oem one... really crappy I must say... they do not have the proper and correct connectors/connections to the car's circuits.... like mentioned above... there is a stand alone fuse would imply a proper circuit catered to foggies.... this oem foggies are manufactured in a way that they just plugged into the nearest available connector, which by the way is for other stuff as intented by Honda.... plugged in, switched on, works fine... cos the original halogen bulbs should be quite low in amperes....

Then i backside itchy like our fren here and go and install the HID lights... then it all happened... drive halfway... my aircon died, my central locking died... stopped the car, got out and look... my foggies died... then returned to workshop to check... fuse blown... and it was not the foggies' fuse!!! that when i realised the connection was to another circuit!!!... got some great help from a bro, i realised that the fuse blown was connected to a lot of important stuff.... realising it is not a play play matter... i quickly went back to my workshop to look for a solution.... at the same time realising and condemning the oem foggies....

Finally my electrical fellow proposed a solution which I think is the next best, short of buying a set of original Honda foggies.... He basically rewired the entire foggies circuitry to connect direct to my vehicle's mains... with a 30A fuse... That explains the fuse he saw in my ride... in this way, the foggies have a standalone circuit.... anything screws up on the foggies, most to most the 30A fuse blown .... nothing detrimental to my ride... good arrangement....

Thx a LOT,DMX bro.I find out the one I bought on ebay has a small panel which has three blocks to fit the foggie button

http://www.iquay.com.au/images/ei/OCO21060-05.jpg

I also found out that the OEM start button panel has one rectangle hole
So is that possible to fit the button of foggie?Is that safe for normal auto
electrician to do the work for start button and foggie?

PS:I saw u sold the start button for FD1 before.I was wondering if u have one left or not.otherwise I intend to get it from JDM concept ebay shop if it can fit my foggie button.

ej20i
24-10-2008, 09:31 PM
can u let us know the cost of the install and everything??since ive been waiting ever since i got my car to install these...but prices are just whack hi..

damijordan
24-10-2008, 10:06 PM
can u let us know the cost of the install and everything??since ive been waiting ever since i got my car to install these...but prices are just whack hi..

I think we can go to local auto electrician shop,won't be very expensive I reckon.Just randomly call one of them at Richmond Melbourne.They said probably beteen 80 to 150 for labour,and I believe that we can still bargain for that somehow

jpestrada115
27-10-2008, 01:36 PM
i was quoted $159 (incl GST) by the Honda dealership here in Cairns for the installation of the aftermarket foggies (the depo brand shown in the pic of damijordan's post above).

anyway, going back to the thread starter's question, dmx's response is right - coin pocket above the SEL button for 2008 FD1. check what comes in the kit that you ordered mate. check out the depo pic above. the kit comes with the switch and switch panel. depo has it included in the set but some other aftermarket brands (i.e., esuse - only siwthc included, no switch panel) don't.

and if ever you won't like the switch that your foggies will come with, you can probably buy the stalk switch from Honda (similar to fog switch for 2008 FD1).

yvho1
04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
did the honda dealer install the aftermarket fog lamp for us? how much they charge then?