PDA

View Full Version : audio stopped working after some engine work

Jums
24-10-2008, 05:57 PM
forgot to disconnect - batter and was working on the carburetor then audio sstem stopped working. stock front speakers work fine. all other aftermarket audio are not working. can someone hit me up with a solution and explain what went wrong?..

ICACHA
24-10-2008, 07:23 PM
check fuses

TYP32
25-10-2008, 09:05 AM
If you're gettin audio from fronts, stands that the headunits running. Check main system fuse/breaker, then work your way down to amps if u dont have main system fuse/breaker.

OMG.JAI xD
25-10-2008, 10:33 AM
if youre running amps they probably went to protection mode.

disconnect the negative terminal and reconnect.
if it still doesnt work.
check your accessories cable.
could be disconnected somewhere.

tell us more info about your system.

Jums
25-10-2008, 02:33 PM
hmm thnks for all the replies.
i looked around and found that the fuse was blown. so i went to get new fuses and blew 2 again as soon as i connected the batterh.
now i figure it's got something to do with the ground cable?? but don't know where it is..hopefull i'll find out and tr that.

Jums
25-10-2008, 02:37 PM
don't know the exact specs but it's a 12" sub pioneer amp two tweeters two 6" speakers and two kicker crossovers.

Jums
25-10-2008, 02:48 PM
just checked and it's not the ground. will check all other wirings.

OMG.JAI xD
25-10-2008, 03:39 PM
what fuse blew.
on the amp or on the car.

cause you said it blew "fuses" meaning more than one.
radio has only 2 fuses. the main 15 and back up 7.5, which is the same for the ecu resets (on most cars)
dont keep changing fuses.
since you said, it blows as soon as you connect the battery. something is turning on as soon as you connect the battery in relation to those fuses that blew.

so yeh. need to know which fuses blew

Jums
25-10-2008, 04:50 PM
it's only the barrel fuse in between the wire from + to the amp that keeps blowing. tried replacing it 3 times now and it blew all 3 times as soon as negative was connected. i seriously don't know wats going on. it was working fine before i touched the carby..maybe i accidently touched something that i shouldn't have?..

trism
25-10-2008, 05:05 PM
the power wire is probably shorted somewhere

check it

mr İharisma
25-10-2008, 05:22 PM
the power wire is probably shorted somewhere

check it

Yeah check it isn't shorted or touching the chassis ( exposed wire which usually also has lots of sparks ) :o

Lucky you have fuses ;)

OMG.JAI xD
28-10-2008, 05:44 PM
make sure the terminal tip isnt touching the battery tie-down strap.
on most cars thats grounded.

TYP32
29-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Check your wiring to your amps, some amps haven't the best terminal setup. There is a chance that your + and - on your amps are too close and somehow you are shorting power to them.

Jums
29-10-2008, 04:07 PM
never paid any attention to systems til now. this whole sound thing is giving me a headache. just checked the terminal and bettery tie down strap but it looks good. just assuming all components are fine since this started only when i did some engine work. i did manage to find a long cube thing in my crossovers got a snapped connection on one side. could this be it??..

OMG.JAI xD
30-10-2008, 05:07 PM
just a question. before we actually jump to another "solution"

what work did you do on the engine?
electrical? if so, what component was worked on.

lets get that outta the way first and move on.

Jums
30-10-2008, 05:46 PM
ok cool.
well i worked on the carby - just took the whole air box out and drilled holes around it and put it back in. i'm not full sure if i correctly plugged in a few hoses to the air box but the car runs fine so i guess it's all plugged in alright. lol
thinking back there was an electrical wire that clamps on to the air box so i had to un-plug that then unclamp it from the air box. then plug it and clamp it back on the airbox after i was done drilling holes.

thinking back again, a small nut dropped in near the axles but couldn't find it on the ground when i moved the car. another 10mm socket dropped in near the battery. i left it on the shocks top mount area and hit it. now i know where that rock smashing sound came from while i was driving the other day..

Jums
01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
update - rewired everything from ground up according to instructions. started up the car and it worked. used the car cig lighter up the road and heard a squeaking sound. head unit then shows no display but eats/ejects cd's. cig lighter not working also. was happy for 2 mins. i think this time it's a little more specific on the problem area that i wish to find a solution for.

Zedski
08-11-2008, 12:27 AM
you couldn't have possibly damaged any wiring when u were drilling holes could u?

i just ask because i had a mate of mine do this himself once. he accidentally drilled through his fuel pump relay wiring when installing neons.. then grounded half the circuit to the chassis with a mounting screw without realising... wondered why he kept blowing an ignition fuse when he tried to start his car :P