PDA

View Full Version : buy a car, integra or prelude?

leo_kwc
24-10-2008, 11:45 PM
i am planning to buy a car for daily, so a 1989 integra or 1988 prelude which one is better?
both are manual, around 250000km, close price tag($3500).
which one is better on get the parts, service, etc

Cheers
Leo

MWAKU
25-10-2008, 12:35 AM
both hard 2 get parts since they are so old

if ur gunna get parts, they are going to be second hand, and if there second hand, no 100% guarantee they are going to do the job for long.

and if u mean aftermarket parts, go for integra

I heart the SSS
25-10-2008, 12:39 AM
both hard 2 get parts since they are so old

if ur gunna get parts, they are going to be second hand, and if there second hand, no 100% guarantee they are going to do the job for long.

and if u mean aftermarket parts, go for integra

I buy brand new parts for my 1989 Toyota Corolla, so i don't know where you go parts shopping at mate.

Go the Integra, such a better car in the long run.

MWAKU
25-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Oh really, OEM 1989 Corolla shit? :S

I heart the SSS
25-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Oh really, OEM 1989 Corolla shit? :S

Yes, My dad works at Toyota.

From window seals to gaskets. It's all still being made buddy.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Can i be honest here?

Buy the Teg :)

onlykillzz
25-10-2008, 01:19 AM
you can buy what ever part you wont from honda i can even still get b18 blocks from there, shore there like 2 grand just for the block but you can still get them

leo_kwc
25-10-2008, 01:54 AM
thanks for everyone comment
Integra should be a butter buy, of younger age
honest, i like the look of integra more then prelude.

how is the handling? they got same suspension, equal-length drive shafts. the main different i can find just bit of the power and the 4WS.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-10-2008, 08:23 AM
4ws is overrated

trentski
25-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I had a 88 prelude, there a nice car. very reliable and i could always get parts from Honda. as for the teg not sure what there like. just remember the teg is a sports car and the prelude is a luxury car, depends what you want i guess.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-10-2008, 08:29 AM
the Tegs are easy to get parts from (Junkyard or Honda, you'll get what you need)

and Aftermarket support is growing (quickly)

(assuming) your going 1G teg ('88) head over to a few of the forums as you will get a idea how it is to own one and what you can do :thumbsup:

WTNESS
25-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Get a rota!!

why not a civic as an option?

Q_ball
25-10-2008, 08:45 AM
For a lil bit more, you're in the market for an EG.
Id recommend doing that.
250k kms + near 20 yr old vehicles dont sit too well with me.

Plus with EGs, ur guaranteed to have an endless supply of parts lying around somewhere.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Plus with EGs, ur guaranteed to have an endless supply of parts lying around somewhere.

ahahahahahaha its the truth...

But we both know you want to go to the darkside of Honda :p;)

leo_kwc
25-10-2008, 04:36 PM
i did search for EF/EG hatch, but there is no car on sale in Adelaide with this price
Prelude and Integra is the Honda what i can find ATM.

the good is i am not in hurry, i still get some time to wait until a good one available.
if want a car is less then 250k km, i find a S13; )

FDBenni
25-10-2008, 05:03 PM
4WS :wave:

Petronas
26-10-2008, 12:13 AM
4ws is overrated

Mate...

As an owner of both a 3rd gen prelude (1988-1991) and a 5th gen (1997-2001) all I can say is I'm still driving the 3rd gen more...

4WS (Four Wheel Steering) is so awesome. Yes it may be overated but it is just a dream for everday driving...

The interior of the 3rd gen prelude also rapes the same generation integra... Sit in both cars and feel the difference mate...

Come have a drive of my 3rd gen (Which is coincidentally for sale...) and see what it's like... I then ask you to sit in the same generation Integra...

Heres the link to my sale add - It's a rare Series II 3rd gen in Manual... I think one of only 3 being sold in Sydney right now... (Guy from Victoria is flying down on Wednesday to come see it)
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94409

Edit: Just found out you're in Adelaide lol...

Oh and on EG's... God they have horrible interiors. Feels so cheap and plasticky... I don't know how people can live with the crap arse interiors...

leo_kwc
26-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Mate...

As an owner of both a 3rd gen prelude (1988-1991) and a 5th gen (1997-2001) all I can say is I'm still driving the 3rd gen more...

4WS (Four Wheel Steering) is so awesome. Yes it may be overated but it is just a dream for everday driving...

The interior of the 3rd gen prelude also rapes the same generation integra... Sit in both cars and feel the difference mate...

Come have a drive of my 3rd gen (Which is coincidentally for sale...) and see what it's like... I then ask you to sit in the same generation Integra...

Heres the link to my sale add - It's a rare Series II 3rd gen in Manual... I think one of only 3 being sold in Sydney right now... (Guy from Victoria is flying down on Wednesday to come see it)
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94409

Edit: Just found out you're in Adelaide lol...
I drove once a 3gen Prelude for a while(approx. 15-20min), the feedback from rear wheel did scare me.

The same generation Integra you noted is pop-up light one or DA integra?

OMG~your car is awesome, very good condition i can see from the photo.:thumbsup:
sadly i don't have that much cash.
Good luck with your sales:)

Edit: As Petronas you are long term owner of 3gen prelude, is it hard to get parts for service or repair?

Petronas
26-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I drove once a 3gen Prelude for a while(approx. 15-20min), the feedback from rear wheel did scare me.

The same generation Integra you noted is pop-up light one or DA integra?

OMG~your car is awesome, very good condition i can see from the photo.:thumbsup:
sadly i don't have that much cash.
Good luck with your sales:)

Edit: As Petronas you are long term owner of 3gen prelude, is it hard to get parts for service or repair?

I was specifically referring to the DA, though they both have crappy interiors... The DA however may most likely win in pure performance by a very small margin against the 87-91 Prelude.

hmm I've only had the car for a year so i haven't done anything major... Besides maybe change the clutch and CV's... From rummaging around in places like Honbits and Hontoys I wouldn't say parts are hard to come by, maybe more so than say a Falcamodore or even a Civic... Maybe, and just maybe... The parts may be that much pricier...

I'll tell you one thing... I have never come across a MY91 Series II 3rd gen (91 - 91) in any caryard... So parts made specifically for that model (eg. Gearbox, little sensors for speedo and so on) will be VERY hard to come by... Look to pay around $400 for a MY91/90 front bumper unpainted... And $200 for a MY88/89 (I was planning to do a bumper swap to the older model, looks nicer)

Dunno I just never thought about parts availability when I bought the car...

FASN8U
26-10-2008, 10:33 AM
integra would be the go in my opinion but id try go for something abit newer and less kms but thats my opinion, civics never done anything for me like stated above the interiors are as bland an cheap as hell