PDA

View Full Version : alarm system on ED civic

rly1
07-10-2004, 04:52 PM
hi! I tried to change my steering following a manual, it said to disconnect the negative cable of the battery which is what I did, I then try to remove the nut of the sterring wheel but didn't succeed, it's extremely tight, so I gave it up and connected back the negative cable on the battery but now my alarm system doesn't not respond anymore??
anyone knows why?
given that I did turn it off before disconnecting the negative cable(or else it will go off)
any help would be greatly appreciated
thx

flipmods
07-10-2004, 06:04 PM
The alarm has nothing to do with the horn whatsoever. Maybe you accidentally bumped or tugged some plug off the main alarm unit under your steering column. Good luck.

Rufes1
07-10-2004, 06:33 PM
It really should,

are you sure your remote has suffice battery? Only other thing is usually the alarm box is under your steering column.. Possible you bumped it and disconnected a wire? I have an ED too and havent had that prob, im running a black widow system.

What alarm system you running?

bumography
07-10-2004, 08:31 PM
you can get that nut off using the big cross thing that u use to take out your wheel nuts.
thats how i did it, it was VERY tight first time.

And about your alarm, check to see if the ground and power wires plugged in if u can
thats what i'd do...

ECU-MAN
09-10-2004, 02:01 AM
use 1/2 wratchet or B/bar, dont waist time with 3/8 socket set as you may not get enough leverage to undo the nut, do a search on stearing wheel. there are some good tips someware in another thread.

with your alarm, did you turn it back on, was it getting power from the batt terminals that you disconnected, you might not of put the wire back on. some ZENON alarms freak out when the battery gets disconnected and they need to get reprogrammed.

rly1
09-10-2004, 03:49 PM
thx people!, I got my sterring wheel off and installed the new one
as for the alarm, I've found out that wires's been disconnected it's a black wire and a purple one, all the other one r still there, which explained why the alarm was responding when I turn it back on. for the brand of the alarm, Ihave no idea what it is, it came with the car when I bought it and no infos's been given.
oh one more thing, I haven't been able to work out how to connect the horn on the steering wheel, anyone can tell me? there is two connector on the horn bit(the thing we pressed on), the steering wheel came with a wire that i believe should be connected to one of it but I don't where the other end should be connected to, and the BOSS kit also has a wire that's connected to it and the other end should be connected to the other connector I think.
don't know if I've made it clear :)

Rufes1
09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
positive wire is in the middle of the wheel which you should easily see and connect it up to the horn button

negative (from the actual horn button) gets connected to basically anywhere on the innerside of the hub housing, just an earth.

rly1
10-10-2004, 01:39 PM
positive wire is in the middle of the wheel which you should easily see and connect it up to the horn button

negative (from the actual horn button) gets connected to basically anywhere on the innerside of the hub housing, just an earth.

the horn button has two connector, so the negative is the wire attached to the hub to one of the connector?

the positive wire isn't attached to the wheel at all, it's got one side that looks like should be plug into the other connector of the horn button but don't know where the other side goes to