PDA

View Full Version : Custom Intake Pic!! (i finally got it done)

petrovski
07-10-2004, 05:38 PM
WOOOHOOOOO!

I finally got my intake done today and here's a pic:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=179

if it doesnt work heres the link:

Intake (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=1400)

and if the link doesnt work go to VBGarage and its under Petrovski :)

It's louder, more responsive and it has a little more midrange and a little bit more highend torque.

IVe already got it boooked in next thursday at bel garage to get the box and cold air pipe made up.

Pete :)

Lil_VTEC
07-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Awsome :thumbsup:
Looks the goods mate :D

A'PEXi
07-10-2004, 07:58 PM
not bad :D any exterior pics?

Jus-10
07-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Looks the goods Pete!

They got it right in to that corner which is good....because you got it past that damn radiator hose, you should be able to get a decent shield/box made up. It will probably cost less than mine did too because it looks like it would be much more simple in design.

Now I want to re-do mine....

How mad is the sound huh?! It gets pretty loud up high in the revs doesn't it.

TypeG
08-10-2004, 12:20 AM
the noise made thing faster too
lol

BBC03
08-10-2004, 12:39 AM
:p HI guys :wave: I'm new to this forum....I drive black VTI in sydney just wanna ask about air filters...does it really do anything to the performance? i'm thinking of getting a mugen filter or apexi pod which u guys think max the performance?
Also wat do u guys meant by CAI??Cold Air Intake? sorry i'm a newbie.... lol

Current mods:
Xforce LE05 exhaust
Custom cat back
17" Racing Sparco NT w/ Pedders (sucks!) :(

Future mods:
Air filters
Headers (spoon/mugen)
Mugen wing spoiler
K20A/B16A G2 (Yea Rite.....) :p

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 08:24 AM
CAI = Cold Air Intake, so you were correct.

My experience is that by replacing the filter will give you a noticeable improvement....It may not be much, but you can feel it, especially in the higher rpms as it frees the engine up abit more.

Petrovski took my car for a spin the other week and he said he could notice the difference in the top end compared to the stock setup too.

TypeG
08-10-2004, 10:29 AM
but dun forget u lose in yr low end when improving yr high end
that's a big issue in a NA car especially a 1.5l car which low end is very important

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 10:49 AM
I have not lost anything down low.....

There is slight lack of response off the mark if you are putting around (it's more of a brief hesitation), but nothing dentramental to the performance.

BBC03
08-10-2004, 03:09 PM
ooo ok...Jus 10 thx for ur advice..so is it better off going for the POD filter or the panel air filter?
if so any recommendation where the cheapest place i can get it supplied and fitted?

gd1_nz
08-10-2004, 03:25 PM
hey guys...i am new to the forum also....i am from auckland so I only have a black 1.3 jazz....i have swapped the original filter with a Monster Power Air filter.....it defintely made my car much more responsive.

anyways...good to see such a nice group of jazz/fit enthusiasts~

BBC03
08-10-2004, 03:44 PM
could someone tell me the details what things do i need to fit an apexi power intake in jazz?

Kit
08-10-2004, 03:57 PM
I have not lost anything down low.....

There is slight lack of response off the mark if you are putting around (it's more of a brief hesitation), but nothing dentramental to the performance.

Hi Jus,
what rev range are you talking about?
are you saying no noticeable loss or did you run it on a dyno?

cos it is very rare that you won't lose low end torque in an small displacement NA car when you swap over to a pod... infact I am pretty sure some low end would be lost.

Chris

Kit
08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
WOOOHOOOOO!

I finally got my intake done today and here's a pic:

if it doesnt work heres the link:

Intake (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=1400)

and if the link doesnt work go to VBGarage and its under Petrovski :)

It's louder, more responsive and it has a little more midrange and a little bit more highend torque.

IVe already got it boooked in next thursday at bel garage to get the box and cold air pipe made up.

looks like some nice welding there Peter.
the only concern i have is the pod clearance to the side of the car.
under load the engine will flex on the mounts and your pod could rub on something on the side.

BBC03
08-10-2004, 04:11 PM
could someone tell me the details what things do i need to fit an apexi power intake in jazz?

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 04:15 PM
No dyno for me yet Kit, so it only a seat-of-my-pants assessment. The big improvement is in the vtec range.

It's hard for me to remember really because I had the filter on within a month of getting the car so I was still running it in at the time.

Remeber I kept up with a gen 4 H22A powered lude with just the filter done to my car. Easy performance gains to be had for everyone!

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 04:16 PM
BBC03 if you buy the kit it comes with everyting you need (parts wise).

The only things you will require are a couple of tools (screwdriver, socket wrench) and about 15-20 minutes. It's a no-brainer of a job.....

TypeG
08-10-2004, 04:42 PM
vtec range?
however vtec range is in low rpm.......

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 04:48 PM
vtec range would be from when vtec kicks in (3,600 I think it was determined) to cut out. I don't get why you're questioning it?

I rarely rev past low 3,000 and I have no noticeable problems with response

petrovski
08-10-2004, 06:43 PM
i also havent noticed low end loss . . .
and its deffinitely true about gains in vtec!

kit- the only thing that its touching is the dam rod that holds the bonnet up! im goin to move it next week when i get my box made.

as for it moving around in general i got 2 brackets made up, one is underneath and its very sturdy! we were trying to move it at the shop and it wasnt moving at all.

BBC03
08-10-2004, 06:56 PM
hey for the apexi power intake which one is for Jazz? 508-H001?? or the universal one?

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 07:44 PM
The part number for the A'pexi Power Intake kit is 508-H012.

That will give you al you need and should cost about $250. It includes the cast alloy intake tube, the filter, brackets, bolts, clamps, everything. It will look just like this:

TypeG
08-10-2004, 07:47 PM
lol
the sound really made the different, trust me
it is proved in dyno for many car anyway as pod never gain in low end......

BBC03
08-10-2004, 07:50 PM
how bout mugen air filter??? will it gain more in the low end???
BTW thanks alot JUS-10

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Have you done your intake yet TypeG?

It may not gain low-end, but there is no apparent loss (which is the important thing). If there is anything lost, it would be so negliable that you would need a dyno to prove it. But then how accurate is a dyno really when comparing mods that have marginal effects...

TypeG
08-10-2004, 08:21 PM
i dun have intake done but i just take all my previous carssssssss to compare that since i try pod and replacement and that's show me that
moreover, street use will never go pod which i always has been told after i know fair a bit on Honda....

TypeG
08-10-2004, 08:22 PM
plus.... i feel it fast when i install it in my first Honda but actually not.... from figure

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 08:31 PM
I think the pod setup on more highly tuned honda engines will have a detrimental effect...engines like the B16/18 and F20 will suffer more because they are tuned on the edge. The margin of error isn't as big in something built for economy like the L15.

I've had mine installed for almost 12 months now and I still think mine is fast...plus I am getting better fuel economy than anyone else too.... :p

BBC03
08-10-2004, 08:32 PM
so u reckon replacement filters are better than intake????

BBC03
08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
jus-10 where did u get ur apexi intake for $250?

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 08:55 PM
I ordered it through www.modyourcar.com.au

If I were to do it again, I would use the factory box (because it will keep the low end response), and use a Spoon or Trust replacement panel (about $120 I think). Then run a cold air pipe to the front.

This will be your cheapest option and it will give the best all-round gains IMO. Spoon use the factory box (albeit modified) so there must be something in that...

If you want outright noise, get the pod. That said you will get better noise with the modded factory box...just not quite as loud.

BBC03
08-10-2004, 09:15 PM
u reckon i could get the spoon replacement panel from the site?
what else do i need to run the cold air?? does that mean that the cold air pipe is custom work?

BBC03
08-10-2004, 09:21 PM
what do u think about the mugen replacement filter? is it good enough?

TypeG
08-10-2004, 10:44 PM
mugen one and spoon one are pretty much the same imo
just price wise spoon is cheaper
i ordered mine for $160-180

BBC03
08-10-2004, 10:50 PM
where???i really want all the stuffs like spoon, mugen, etc but just doesnt know where to get it.......

TypeG
09-10-2004, 12:06 AM
msn zitian@hotmail.com
they will get u whatever u want in Japan

ask for their opinion too pod or filter
lol but i know the answer already

Kit
09-10-2004, 02:05 AM
yeah... the problem is.. seat of the pants dyno is highly inaccurate.
and the removal of the airbox lets out alot of induction noise, and noise gives the perception of speed and power.

it would be highly unlikely that low end torque and also ingear response would have improved, especially in a small car like the jazz, as the replacement pipe and pod would have a lesser internal volume than the stock airbox setup.

even my S15 running an Apexi pod felt so sluggish off boost.
putting the stock airbox back on and the off boost low end is like night and day...
put on an ARC cold air box, again is night and day between that and the stock airbox.

does ARC make an induction box for the jazz? that would probably be the best compromise between low mid and high range i would think.

BBC03
10-10-2004, 12:21 AM
hey what else do i need to do once i got the replacement filter
?

TypeG
10-10-2004, 12:28 AM
i agree with u Kit
arc... havent yet out for Jazz but even if it is out, i wont buy it again even it is really good as the price.. i can get header or full exhuast done
lol
but replacement with CAI will be good enough for street use

BB: u need CAI which u can get yrself done

BBC03
10-10-2004, 12:53 AM
any pro place i can go to??? im in syd but...

TypeG
10-10-2004, 01:28 AM
u dun need
just buy a flexiable pipe and make it yrself...

Jus-10
10-10-2004, 11:28 AM
BBC03, if you are in Sydney and you want someone to help you out with it, check out Bel Garage on Parramatta Rd at Homebush (www.belgarage.com.au)

They can help with any other mods you might want to do to.

That's where I take my car, and Petrovski is getting some stuff done there next week. Nice guys and good quality work. If you call them, ask for Brian.