PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my B18c??

F.O.B Squad
26-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Well i got a DC2 which the motor has done just over 200k and atm i want to give it a full service.
What i'd like to know is what sort of engine oil would be recommended for a motor that has done this much milage.

Later on i'm going to make a decision to either rebuild the motor and tune it, or put in a b18c7.
Which is the better option in this case?

94dc2tegz
26-10-2008, 11:23 AM
why would u need to rebuild it to tune it?

but i would just work with what u have. b18C's are awesome as they are.

not worth the costs involved to get a b18cR (mainly cuz ur chassis is still heavy compared to an ITR)

na-118
26-10-2008, 12:58 PM
i rekon go with a full rebuild

94dc2tegz
26-10-2008, 04:22 PM
i rekon go with a full rebuild

yes, but "why"?

whats wrong with your one now?

bennjamin
26-10-2008, 04:36 PM
over 200k ? you should be on your 2nd timing belt , water pump and hopefully oil pump too. Everything else should be normally maintained , and the car should be running almost like an engine with less k's. Unless you are using alot of oil (worn seals or journals or piston rings ) there is no reason to consider a rebuild.

I recommend and use All HONDA OEM parts and fluids.

IZY-10
26-10-2008, 07:47 PM
hey rens! Your timing belt, water pump, oil pump ect.. have been changed already. your engine don't require a rebuild yet as it doesn't burn any oil. If you are in doubt just get a compression test and leak down test. Stick to what you have go itb's lol

F.O.B Squad
26-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah timing belt was changed at 195k. Ok cool well these comments so far give me a hint on what i should do. I wanted to change the IM with an ITR and maybe the head also, would that be a better option then getting a complete ITR block?

squish85
30-10-2008, 04:33 PM
If I were you.. I'll monitor it for a while before making any finanical investments in it.. Check if compression tested.. leak down tested.. and if possible dyno tune it to see how it goes..

As for the ITR IM.. its mainly optimised for use with a Type R head (which have been specially ported differently from Non-type R) As for changing the head ... take note that your lower block is also 200,000kms old... and different from a type R lower block.. Doing the swap MIGHT yield some gains (aggressive cams.. etc..) but might affect the reliablity of your already aged engine..

Just my 2 cents worth.. :)

Tap.Ris
30-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Well I would go with the rest with just having the major servicing done and keep it there. And start saving up to for a future new car perhaps!

94dc2tegz
30-10-2008, 05:59 PM
lol if ur guna do a new head for IM why not do B20 and keep ur head but change the bottom :D

Henessaayyy
30-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Give it abit of boost :P

TWIN TURBO YOOOO!!

na-118
30-10-2008, 10:24 PM
the engines done well over 200+ kms, engines probably ahvnt gone through a rebuild why would you give boost?

Henessaayyy
30-10-2008, 10:28 PM
for the fun of it, thats why :)

na-118
30-10-2008, 10:29 PM
waste of money

[SDCTVE]
31-10-2008, 09:02 AM
i see no1 has answered your question about what oil to use yet....
for a car thats done that much milage you need to go for a thicker oil like 20/50
and it wont burn as quick when you give it a belting from time to time...

and as for rebuilding it, have you got it compression tested?

F.O.B Squad
31-10-2008, 10:55 AM
When i purchased the car a compression test was done 3 cylinders had 175psi and one of them had i think 165psi thats from the top of my head with those figures.

Yeah I'm still unsure about the oil whether OEM or something thick?

As for the intake i might ITB's. Dont know yet, see how the service goes.

VTECMACHINE
31-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Type R motors are way more fun, than a VTi-R motor.

94dc2tegz
31-10-2008, 01:55 PM

wtf??? did i see ITB?

please excuse me here for making an assumption...

but do u know how much they cost to purchase, setup and tune?

not to mention thats a little drastic for someone who is unsure of whether or not to rebuild his engine even though it's probably perfectly fine?

I don't mean to be rude here but usually ppl only go ITBs after much work has been done and have a clear plan of where they want to go with their car - from what i've seen here u don't have a plan and probably just throwing around ideas that u fancy.

Which is fine. keep the ITB in the back of ur mind and workout ur engine first and when ur finally happy where it is then think about ITB's. This is not only my mere suggestion but I'm leading by example.

I'm currently doing my own build with all the goodies and ITB's but that was only after a plan had been drafted up as to where and what I wanted and ITB was the final addition of the package.

F.O.B Squad
31-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Well i did have a plan, but with me, because money doesnt come easy i am trying to figure the best thing for me financially with my car.
I did want to buy an ITR half cut and pretty much throw that in and thats it, another option was to rebuild what i got and work it a little and progress it to a decent motor as good a type r standard in figures.

But for the moment i just want to service the car so it will run better than it is now, not saying that theres a problem with it, but for the fact that its not running smooth hence the major service.

The ITB's is an option if i were to rebuild or maybe with a ITR block, but because i had mentioned doesnt mean its a certainty.

But i do appreciated your input and will take it into account.

Lukey
31-10-2008, 02:29 PM
k20/24

Benson
31-10-2008, 02:40 PM
B20vtec bottom end would be a nice combo

Refer to the all motor thread

F.O.B Squad
31-10-2008, 03:29 PM
B20vtec bottom end would be a nice combo

Refer to the all motor thread

With what head?? With what i got, ITR or B16b??

94dc2tegz
31-10-2008, 03:38 PM
u can use any but since u have a p72 head why not stick to it?

ShAwNeX
31-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Throw it away and put in a K20 :p

[SDCTVE]
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
When i purchased the car a compression test was done 3 cylinders had 175psi and one of them had i think 165psi thats from the top of my head with those figures.

Yeah I'm still unsure about the oil whether OEM or something thick?

well as far as oil goes, take my word for it 20/50 Castrol GTX2

and how many kms ago was that compression test? how have you been driving the car since??

personally if i had to, id rebuild the existing engine rather then **** around with different engines! its a real head ****! not only with vic roads but reselling the car later on!

think about it.... whos gonna buy a dc2 vtir with an itr motor when they can just buy a itr strait up?? or any other motor you put in for that matter!

goodluck!