PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Civic Vti-L audio volume and Brakes squeal

brokenback
27-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Just a quick question for other owners.

I have noticed that the audio volume output changes (quite a bit) with no changes to the controls. This is not a Speed Volume Control (SVC) problem...it changes even when stationary. This occurs a few times every drive.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Civic 6 stacker?

I noticed when the volume does increase/change (by itself) that the volume controls hadn't changed their settings...aka the volume was still on the same setting before the change yet the volume had a reasonably significant increase.

Just wanted to ask other owners if they had experienced this? I'll ask Honda to replace the unit during the 10K service but I expect a bun fight over it.

I had to push the Honda dealer to take the car in this week (at 5k) to fix squealing brakes..I couldn't wait another 5k to the service..sigh!

bodaas
27-10-2008, 06:40 PM
that's strange,

squealing brakes, i think that's normal, did you ever hose your wheel with water, when you wash your car?

brokenback
27-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Yep, the audio is strange but I suspect Honda may not know how to deal with it.

The Brakes squeal all the time when applied since day one. :(That high pitched squeal...at the right freq and high sound intensity level to really annoy. It's only 1 pad (I suspect, the front) from the noise emanating.

Honda tried the usual line "it'll go away" ..."it's normal"...which of course didn't happen and not correct. Anyway we'll see how they go with it this Thursday..."fix it day":honda:.

ryanc
27-10-2008, 07:50 PM
i brought this issue up in my honda service at 10k

all they did was 'deglaze' them.. seems to be okay now

brokenback
27-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks.

This is what I expected them to do the pads. Funny thing is that I thought I'd bed'd them ok.

Anyway the pads can be fixed ok its the damn radio volume.

JaCe
28-10-2008, 12:54 AM
I know this sounds obvious but just thought I'd ask- were you comparing everything between songs recorded at the same volume levels? (e.g. a store-bought CD is likely to have a volume normalisation)

I personally haven't experienced what you're talking about and the only thing I can think of is the SVC which you've already removed from the equation.

brokenback
28-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Fair enough question. I should have elaborated before.

I've noticed the volume change on the radio, not CD's as yet. As you said normalisation of levels on CDs can be a problem.

Frost_FD
29-10-2008, 12:22 PM
This is very strange... mine doesnt do that but the volume and sound does increase and decrease depending on the quality of the song.

Like Jace said a store bought CD and mp3s will have different volume levels while on the same volume eg. 17

brokenback
30-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Just an update...

Honda fixed the brakes. They tried de-glazing but that didn't work so they replaced the front pads and machined the discs as they were burnished.

No more brake squeal!:)

I'll just see how the radio volume goes from now (5K) until the 10K service.

JaCe
31-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Fair enough question. I should have elaborated before.

I've noticed the volume change on the radio, not CD's as yet. As you said normalisation of levels on CDs can be a problem.

If it's the radio then it would depend on the signal strength as well as the radio station themselves... I'd imagine radio stations would automatically attempt to normalise volume themselves but I'm definitely no expert in this field.

To be honest I wouldn't be too concerned- the only thing which would concern me if it was happening on CDs where you have control over the source and can compare it to other devices (e.g. trying the CD in another cd player).

brokenback
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks JaCe.

I noticed the audio volume slew when the car was stationary, engine off, on acc power. It went up in volume quite a bit.

My kids (teenagers) noticed it first and complained to me ...as kids do! I said they were hearing things.... Not that my hearings any good as I was an Avionics tech in the RAAF for many many years. Working in hangers next to runways with Acft on full afterburner (AB) taking off all day...doing full AB runs with engine techs calibrating thermocouples.....so my hearing is poor at best:o

Anyway I have heard the audio volume slew up, with no input, on a few occasions now.

I'm not really worried nor concerned ...I'll just monitor it at present...Dorf Dorf eat your heart out!

Sherweeeny
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
well if this makes you feel any better, my CD player ceased working a few days ago. i took it to the dealership and they ordered me a new one... so i cant listen to music that doesnt talk about how some girl kissed another girl or how if some dark skinned woman would act 'if she was a boy'.

yay./

brokenback
09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Brakes are Squealing again, all the time... when they get some temperature in them.

They emit a high intensity squeal from the front under light and heavy breaking.

Took it to the Honda dealer and we went with for a drive....yep squeals again...although the intensity of the sound was not as much as it usually is.:o

It's usually so bad it makes you cringe!

They noted it in their computers and will look at it on 10K service...:(

JaCe
10-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Hope it gets fixed up soon.

How's the volume thing?