PDA

View Full Version : DIY REQUEST - How to remove steering wheel with airbag ??

cruzincivic
29-10-2008, 03:05 PM
hay all

my steering wheel in my Ek is up the Sh1t i want to look at buying a new on and installing it.. but seeing its got airbag are they hard to take off and are they hard to put back in ???

any help would be sweet...

jeffreymui
29-10-2008, 04:33 PM
theres a cover around the steering when u look closely.....when u remove that cover u'll see a "star' shape screw....unscrew it, the airbag should come off ....but u have to unplug the connector which is connected to ur clockspring first.....easy job...after u remove the airbag....should be very easy

cruzincivic
29-10-2008, 04:42 PM
cool beans cheers

bennjamin
29-10-2008, 04:49 PM
follow these basic steps
make sure your wheel is straight and wheels are straight.
1. disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal off the battery. Wait a few minutes to be safe.
2. take a flat head screwdriver and remove the 2 x side plastic covers off the sides of te wheel. Underneath each side is a torx (6 sided) screw , not sure te exact size sorry
3.remove both screws either side.
4. airbag will then be able to slide out , pull out slowly and disconnect the wiring loom connected to the airbag. be careful not to damage it.
5. after its out , grab a 14mm socket and a big ratchet or breaker bar. Lock the steeering wheel (remove car keys from ignition , turn the wheel to lock it) and undo the 14mm centre bolt.
slide off wheel taking care not to damage loom or horn loom etc

cruzincivic
29-10-2008, 04:53 PM
cheers mate.. thanks for that now all i need is a new oe steering wheel..

Tap.Ris
30-10-2008, 06:06 PM
hay all

my steering wheel in my Ek is up the Sh1t i want to look at buying a new on and installing it.. but seeing its got airbag are they hard to take off and are they hard to put back in ???

any help would be sweet...

This might help

http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/09/how-to-replace-a-honda-civic-airbag-and-steering-wheel.html

bennjamin
30-10-2008, 08:01 PM
When you set the removed airbag down be sure to put it airbag side up. If they activate bag side down they will launch themselves into the air possibly causing serious injury to anyone near by.

Not encouraging anyone but it you google airbags you just may come across some videos of "Interesting" things you can do with removed ones and a battery.

great point that most overlook. You never know so be safe !