PDA

View Full Version : Buying Cbr250rr soon

Gawdam
31-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Hey everyone,

After just recently getting my L's i'm looking at buying a bike soon.

Was initially intent on getting a Vtr250, however don't have the budget for 6-7k just on my first bike.

So instead i am planning to get a cbr250rr for around 5ish, if possible, and whatever extra i have, put towards insurance and gear.

But i was just wondering, everyone I've spoken to, says do not buy the JDM models (i'm assuming the early 90's once) and instead buy the AUD models (Late 90's?? )

whats the differences between the 2 in terms of quality?.. if i do buy a jdm model, will it run as well if it's in similar condition but with an 8year age gap.
ultimately anything which would make me feel better knowing i won't buy a bike which will fall apart wihile crusing along at 60kmh :D...
hopefully this helps other guys out to buy this bike aswell, seeming as a lot of people do...

thanks in advance :D

jords
31-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Buy the tri-colour aussie delivered, better bike. later model.

I had one and it never missed a beat, used to scream, until a car pulled out on me........:D

na-118
31-10-2008, 01:04 PM
twin disc brakes on the front of the RR.the swing arms are different on the single R, the RR is much better looking then the sinlge R same engine so don't be fooled.

Zdster
31-10-2008, 01:25 PM
There is really no such thing as a 'late' 90's CBR. They stopped producing them in 1996 (all of the bikes sold up until 98 are bikes built from 'leftover' parts).

For $4-5k I would be looking at getting a GPX or a VTR. There should be no reason that you cant find a VTR250 in your price range.

Ie. http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/search/sd.do?recIndex=2&modelID=612&makeID=37&page=0&selectedModelIndex=167&y=1&state=7&selectedMakeIndex=36&previousResultPerPage=20&currentPage=1&x=82

Knight
31-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I have a jap spec model CBR 250RR and it goes harder then the aus spec bikes, all in all which ever model you get your going to be happy with them. They are a great balanced bike and you'll enjoy every minute of riding it.

Gawdam
31-10-2008, 01:35 PM
There is really no such thing as a 'late' 90's CBR. They stopped producing them in 1996 (all of the bikes sold up until 98 are bikes built from 'leftover' parts).

For $4-5k I would be looking at getting a GPX or a VTR. There should be no reason that you cant find a VTR250 in your price range.

Ie. http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/search/sd.do?recIndex=2&modelID=612&makeID=37&page=0&selectedModelIndex=167&y=1&state=7&selectedMakeIndex=36&previousResultPerPage=20&currentPage=1&x=82

kk I won't deny it... If i could get the newer shaped VTR in the 4k-5k price range i would... But for some reason i just don't like the older one as much. lol... stupid, i know.. but can't explain y i won't get the older one. haha

Gawdam
31-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I guess the whole idea is, that even though they're a very old bike, it wouldn't be unsafe to ride a cbr250rr right?
Brakes not working correctly, gears ect...

Knight
31-10-2008, 01:39 PM
It all depends on who you buy the bike from, if you buy it from a dealer then they will check all that stuff. I've had mine for 6yrs now and I've never had a problem with breaking or gears.

Henessaayyy
31-10-2008, 01:52 PM
http://cbr250.com/cbr250/forum/ <------ check that forum.. its a big help.. lots of info and plenty of people can help...

I got a RVF400 and I like them way more than the CBR250's ... I owned one previously and the RVF handles 10000000000000000000000 times better and goes alot harder.

and lol? JDM CBR ?? HAHA!

na-118
31-10-2008, 01:55 PM
i chopped you on the rvf you prick! LMAO revving it my take offs are too good

Knight
31-10-2008, 01:57 PM
http://cbr250.com/cbr250/forum/ <------ check that forum.. its a big help.. lots of info and plenty of people can help...

I got a RVF400 and I like them way more than the CBR250's ... I owned one previously and the RVF handles 10000000000000000000000 times better and goes alot harder.

and lol? JDM CBR ?? HAHA!

I agree with you Henessaayyy, the cibby is by far the best bike I have ever owned and she just keeps going like a dream. The best christmas present I have ever bought myself :D

na-118
31-10-2008, 01:57 PM
never heard of JDM cbr does it have 20 more kws? LOL

Henessaayyy
31-10-2008, 01:58 PM
i chopped you on the rvf you prick! LMAO revving it my take offs are too good

LMAO! you never got ahead of me... you had the better start, but your bike has good bottom end ... hahaha you had the better start man, thats all.. once my baby hit 8k rpm you were nowhere to be seen

na-118
31-10-2008, 01:59 PM
LMAO bro i backed off i felt sorry for you, and my start left you 2-3 seconds behind and that kid in the JDM CIVICS reaction LOL

na-118
31-10-2008, 02:04 PM
i raced the 400 so LOL @ U! OWNED, and i've owned 2 cbr's

Henessaayyy
31-10-2008, 02:09 PM
How many bikes have you owned? If a cbr250 is the best bike you have ever owned, it must not be many.

Racing 250's = LOL at you

lol'ing @ you, na-118 raced a rvf400... derno if there's a difference..

*sigh* zdster i wish you'd just grow up and keep the lame insults to yourself...

Henessaayyy
31-10-2008, 02:32 PM
1. Why are you talking about racing?
2. This thread was all about 250's so why in the world wouldnt I think you two were talking about 250's
3. Talk about pure and utter spam

Your telling me to grow up when you post something that is offtopic and your 'friends' response was that I got owned. Why dont you two grow up

NA-118 posted about the race... I had to defend myself as he thought he flogged me...

But hey, problem solved.. Don't worry about it ...

And yeah, Knight.. The Cibbys are an awesome bike... But I completely prefer the RVF400... It feels like a 600, dips into turns so easily and handles so smoothly... Not to mention the V-Twin is a monster engine! So much fun to ride!

TONTON
01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
god dam street racers :P

Redlinemotorsport
01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
aye listen mate,
if u want my honest opinion,
buy a shit heap 250,
something worth 1-2k instead of 3-4,
ride it round for alittle while,
then upgrade to a big bike.
Something over 600.

Henessaayyy
01-11-2008, 10:55 AM
aye listen mate,
if u want my honest opinion,
buy a shit heap 250,
something worth 1-2k instead of 3-4,
ride it round for alittle while,
then upgrade to a big bike.
Something over 600.

if he's in sydney, he needs to keep his l's for a minimum of 3 months, then needs to keep his p's for 1 year before he can get his full license ...

Redlinemotorsport
01-11-2008, 12:32 PM
in victoria you dont need to have p's if u already have your full license. you just go straight to full license.
if u r on ur P's for car then get them for bike,
you can ride any CC or pwr to weight, as long as you display a P plate.
wierd i know.
but i went through all of that shit when i was getting my license.

na-118
01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
****ing damn vic LMAO

Henessaayyy
01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
lucky bastard victorians!

Entity
01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
if its been kept well it won't fall apart, even if its jdm

but i would buy the aus spec tri colour (well, i did..), the difference is riding a 9 year old aussie delivered bike or an 18 year old jap bike, time will take a toll. spend the extra $500 and save yourself some hassle

and yeah, its true that they stopped making them in 96, but some of them didn't touch ground till 99, so as far as i'm concerned, its 9 years old.

so Zdster, i'm not looking to argue with you, but from the style of your posts it seems like you are so against people dropping 5k on a 250rr that you're being more bias than helpful. The guy didn't come in here asking whether he should get a VTR or a CBR, its quite clear what model he wants, his query was about the age.

na-118
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
250rr holds their value

Gawdam
01-11-2008, 07:19 PM
tru
I will probably keep the motorbike until i'm onto my full lisence
so having the piece of mind that they're still in good nick wood be good.

had same dilemma when i was buying my car... whether it was going to be a 18 year old car or 10
thanks for help guys :-)

Feverpitched
02-11-2008, 02:19 AM
250rr holds their value

Because there are an endless number of stupid cashed up squids waiting to buy ancient machinery. $5k for a bike built over 18 years ago? Please.

You may have beat a RVF400, but most likely that was due to the inadequacy of the rider on the 400. I've beaten CBR250's in a straight line every time I lined up against them on my FZR, which is reputed (by all knowing n00bs like yourself) to be slower. Does that mean the FZR is quicker? No. It means we're both slow, and that the other rider didn't have as much experience as I had at the time. That's all. And seriously, who buys a motorbike to race in a straight line? You might as well buy a Harley. It might suit your style more.

Seriously though, you and one other on this forum are notorious for stupid and misleading advice. You need to shut up before you hurt someone, squiddy.

Henessaayyy
02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
You may have beat a RVF400,

He didn't beat me... And people dont 'buy cbrs to race in a straight line'. They buy them because they're the best looking, quickest sports bike for their budget on their L's.
It just so happens that some people see another biker and decide to race and have abit of fun. Sorry you've never done street racing, all mighty and innocent one.

I guess you're also dissing alot of people who buy sports cars, or buy turbos, or do engine conversions... Because they obviously also buy those things to race in a straight line

Feverpitched
02-11-2008, 10:24 AM
He didn't beat me... And people dont 'buy cbrs to race in a straight line'. They buy them because they're the best looking, quickest sports bike for their budget on their L's.
It just so happens that some people see another biker and decide to race and have abit of fun. Sorry you've never done street racing, all mighty and innocent one.

I guess you're also dissing alot of people who buy sports cars, or buy turbos, or do engine conversions... Because they obviously also buy those things to race in a straight line

No, the people that buy them just don't know any better. And I diss idiots who buy cars 'because they're fully sikk bro lol omg wtf hektic, bro'. That's all. You can buy whatever bike you want at the end of the day, but kids who perpetuate the myth that a 250cc motorbike that's over 15 years old and has been thrashed by every owner is the 'best looking quickest sports bike for their budget on their L's' need to pull their head in and get with the times.

And turbo cars. I've owned them before. Engine conversions? Done them. Anything else?

You need to stop making assumptions. Not least of all for the fact that you're obviously not intelligent enough to make them properly, but because they have no place when dealing with strangers.

Feverpitched
02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Not to mention the V-Twin is a monster engine!

Thanks for letting myself and others know that you're simply not worth the mental concentration when it comes to talking bikes. Maybe you need to do something productive, like learning a bit about your bike before you start posting dribble.

Feverpitched
02-11-2008, 12:24 PM
in victoria you dont need to have p's if u already have your full license. you just go straight to full license.
if u r on ur P's for car then get them for bike,
you can ride any CC or pwr to weight, as long as you display a P plate.
wierd i know.
but i went through all of that shit when i was getting my license.

Wrong.

JDM.Power
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
if you want to buy a cbr250rr, let me know. pm me!

Gawdam
02-11-2008, 05:54 PM
i'll keep that in mind.
I'm going to start my serious shopping mid to end of December, once i'm on annual leave break + uni is out of the way. Need to save a little more for isurance gear ect.

Redlinemotorsport
02-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Wrong.

im so sorry all knowing one.
i was actually mistaken.
the rules have changed,
and where i was previously right.
now i am wrong.
i am sorry if i have offended you.
i wouldnt want to do that,
because u seem to know everything about everything.

and people like that are just the sort of people i want to know.

Zdster
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
so Zdster, i'm not looking to argue with you, but from the style of your posts it seems like you are so against people dropping 5k on a 250rr that you're being more bias than helpful. The guy didn't come in here asking whether he should get a VTR or a CBR, its quite clear what model he wants, his query was about the age.

My first post was about exactly that - the age of the 250's and their production. My other comment was that he could actually find the bike that he was looking for originally in his current price range.

My feeling, like what Feverpitched has mentioned, is why spend $5k on a bike that is 9, 10, 12, 15 years + when you can get something that is less then six years old and presents better value for the same price (if not cheaper)?

Feverpitched
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
The rules have been like that since longer than I can remember. You're either a very seasoned rider well advanced in years, or you're simply spouting rubbish. Given you can't spell "northern" and you can't seem to handle being corrected very graciously, I assume the latter. Of course, being an assumption it may be incorrect, but please, prove me wrong.

What is with you know-it-all kids these days? I'm not even that old and I can't stand the 'tardness of you lot. Don't you cross-check your 'advice' with Google? Wait, is Google broken?

I've had it. Go spend bucketloads on CBRRRRR's, start posing, crash, sell it and be done with it already.

Zdster
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
im so sorry all knowing one.
i was actually mistaken.
the rules have changed,

Im sorry, but when were the rules in Victoria ever like you mentioned?

Henessaayyy
02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
No, the people that buy them just don't know any better. And I diss idiots who buy cars 'because they're fully sikk bro lol omg wtf hektic, bro'. That's all. You can buy whatever bike you want at the end of the day, but kids who perpetuate the myth that a 250cc motorbike that's over 15 years old and has been thrashed by every owner is the 'best looking quickest sports bike for their budget on their L's' need to pull their head in and get with the times.

And turbo cars. I've owned them before. Engine conversions? Done them. Anything else?

You need to stop making assumptions. Not least of all for the fact that you're obviously not intelligent enough to make them properly, but because they have no place when dealing with strangers.

Read between the lines dumb shit, hey look, I even used some --> [sarcasm] <-- and pointed it out for you!

Go Dr. Phil... Go tell everyone how you're the best rider in all of Australia and you know everything about bikes... Go on...

What are you going to say? Hyosung GT 650 ? Suzuki GS500 ? Kawasaki ZZR250 ? Come on buddy... Tell me whats the best bike for a learner with a 5k budget? Hey Dr. Phil?

You're a complete twat... I never asked if you've done engine conversions or owned turbo'd cars... Im stating a point that if you believe that people buy CBRs to race in a straight line, I can say the same in regards to people buying Turbo'd cars and doing engine conversions...

Open your brain and understand what you're reading...

Now tell me... What's Dr. Phils choice of bike for a Learner on a $5k budget?

na-118
02-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Lol ...

Redlinemotorsport
03-11-2008, 11:28 AM
The rules have been like that since longer than I can remember. You're either a very seasoned rider well advanced in years, or you're simply spouting rubbish. Given you can't spell "northern" and you can't seem to handle being corrected very graciously, I assume the latter. Of course, being an assumption it may be incorrect, but please, prove me wrong.

What is with you know-it-all kids these days? I'm not even that old and I can't stand the 'tardness of you lot. Don't you cross-check your 'advice' with Google? Wait, is Google broken?

I've had it. Go spend bucketloads on CBRRRRR's, start posing, crash, sell it and be done with it already.

mate.
seriously,
do u really think that your that much better than everyone else on here?
so i missed an R spelling northern
thanks for pointing that out.
this is why in my previous post i said that i wanted to know people like you.
because your good at spell check:)
and anyway how old are you?
because from the sounds of all your posts,
i think about 50?

na-118
03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
LOL Feverpitched you make it sound like you know everything about CBR's, i didnt spend bucket loads on my cbr, so i dont get it? your ****ed mate haha

JDM.Power
03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
rofl at this thread,

he asked for advice, people give advice.
if you dont like their advice. ignore it and move along with your life.
dont spam this thread his asking for advice, not looking for keyboard warrior's in his thread.
who cares if people give wrong advice, at the end of the day, he makes the decision.
so you just state your advice, and other people state their advice.

aaronng
03-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Closed because of shitfight. Play nicely next time.