PDA

View Full Version : Nos

LORYDA
08-10-2004, 01:29 PM
I got a quote from Croydon Autosports today for a dry 50-70 shot NOS kit for My 97 Civic coupe (d16y8) for $2,400. All American autosports quoted me similar ($2200) for the same setup - fiited, tuned and dynoed. The issue hasn't really been raised in these forums - NOS definitely gives you bang for your buck. BUT, how bad is it for your engine... the guys from Croydon promised me that that is the whole point of their dynoing phase so they can optimise power output and minimise engine wear/damage. However, forums I've read on honda-tech seem to be a lil diff. I would appreciate your suggestions. LORYDA

Terry
08-10-2004, 01:33 PM
WTF....Nos?! U serious? Sweet!......For street use Nos is more than enough!

VTEChnique
08-10-2004, 01:56 PM
NOS isnt very practical IMO.. plus it's mega-illegal on the street. illegal to have the bottle, not the system installed. plus is can do nasty things to your pistons.. but a 50-70 shot should be OK.. just like anything - it's fine in moderation.

YES you could have lots of fun blowing away un-suspecting V8's etc but I mean you cant feel the benefits of NOS under your right foot on the way to get milk.. well you COULD but not very practical.

then again a 50+HP gain in power on your D-seies (even if only temporary) would set you back much more than $2,000, so in that respect, it's a good-value performance mod.. A D16Y8 with an extra 50 Ponies would blow away a B16A, yet cost less than half the cost of a B-series swap.

How much does it cost to re-fill your bottle ? that's what i'd be concerned about also..

So yeah the choice is yours, my vote is for NO to NOS.. but Jeez it'd be fun HAHA

integraz
08-10-2004, 02:21 PM
well yes NOS is good but even better if u use a wet system.. people in US say drys have a more potential detontation as the engine might run too lean.
i was looking at getting a wet system for my dc5, but then i realised if i had it hooked on i would be looking at 10k fine if caught.. so there goes my dream

integraz
08-10-2004, 02:23 PM
50 -70 is good but more then that start looking at forgies and hardening other components

MR-VTEC
08-10-2004, 03:11 PM
sxysol stared a thread on this last week. try and find that

panda[cRx]
08-10-2004, 05:58 PM
if cops bust ya they not gonna fine ya, expect to walk home as they will tow your car on the spot

SiR JDM
08-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Waste of money in my opinion..

Sure u might be able to blow away a v8 at a lights drag but then when its over, ull jus realise u wasted about 40$ on that spray, while he's wasted about .04 cents on petrol goin that little bit harder..

Plus the risks not only with ur engine but with the law... Cops are cutting down hardcore on cars now... expect fines and penalties to increase, i heard from my mechanic that they take photos of your engine bay if they feel the need and get their *experts* to look at it later on and then send u the fine/defect in the mail...

Especially since the accidents recently involving "so called drag racing", regardless of what it was or what happened, Police are now under the pump by the whole of Victoria to cut down on not only Illegal drags, but all stupid street behavior...
If your gettin nos, your definatly going to use it going in a straight line and hence will be speeding..
Its just impractical and wreckless to speed on public roads, indangering yourself, those in the car with you and potentially other drivers on the road minding their own business....

z3lda
08-10-2004, 08:05 PM
isnt that why u got your car "upgrade"
1.3 to 1.6 is illegal unless u got an engine cert.

SiR JDM
08-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Isn't WHAT why i got my car upgraded?

I got it because i wanted a more reliable engine, (100,000 kms less on the clock) and I plan to track in the future..
Just because I, like many people have done the b16a swap doesn't mean i use the extra power to endanger myself and others on public streets...

Its my opinion on the issue, my beef isn't with the legallity of NOS, but the inappropirate use of it that MANY people who i know/know of/heard of that have used it and why they use it.. im not saying Loryda wants to use it for that purpose, i have a friend who uses it purely for legal drags at calder park, im just stating my stance on the issue...

Phantasm
08-10-2004, 08:37 PM
My only experience with nos has been watching a 100hp injected jeep cheroke going nuts doing donuts, not only on both lanes of the road but up the gutters and over the nature strip aswell, on a public road with many pedestrians around.
Although impressive to watch it was extremely dangerous and stupid.

But anyway why spend this much money on just temporary power?
If you just want it to be cool why not install a fake bottle in the boot and put big ass stickers everwhere?
Although for use on the strip it seems a good enough idea, ans seems the only decent exuse to use it. "IN MY OPINION"

A'PEXi
08-10-2004, 09:23 PM
your probarbly better off buying a b16 with that sort of money, better/more reliable in the long run....

Weq
09-10-2004, 01:56 PM
nos is fine, but its only temp power. ur looking at around $80 to fill up ur bottle, and ive heard of people running them dry on the way home :)

panda[cRx]
09-10-2004, 06:57 PM
thumbs down to NOS
swap or boost...or BOTH :D

SCRAPN
20-11-2004, 10:39 PM
someones been watching too much fast and furious.... nos? please how impractical do you wanna get dude, costs ya an arm and a leg for a refill, and for what a few hits? in a straight line when you will probabley get blown away anyways after it frys your engine.... not to mention if you have an accident and your bottle get hits BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!....

might as well strap a bomb to your car,.....

oh well ... " i need nos, gimme two of the big ones?" hearin voices?

traNce_gl
20-11-2004, 10:48 PM

I can hear an owl

[ slayer ]
21-11-2004, 09:23 AM
yeh, gotta say nitrous isnt the smartest idea for road use. apart from the huge fines and the risk of an impounded car, u are risking other peoples lives when u choose to speed and/or race (which i assume is why u got it)

however, for purely legal off-street drag racing, then go for it, build ur car up to handle it and go nuts. my uncle runs nitrous in his road registered drag car but only uses the juice on the track.

good for the strip, bad for the street

jimmeh
21-11-2004, 09:56 AM
if go through some of the articles at the holley performance web site u will see that they make their NOS kits (75 shot ) for the OEM computer. so its just plug and play. but once u want to make big power that wen u have to tune the car. a standard civic b16a with a 75 shot of NOS runs 14.5 to 14.8. with a stock computer
hope that helps

Cyrus
21-11-2004, 04:33 PM
you better off spending the money getting a b16a

joneblaze
21-11-2004, 11:41 PM
someones been watching too much fast and furious.... nos? please how impractical do you wanna get dude, costs ya an arm and a leg for a refill, and for what a few hits? in a straight line when you will probabley get blown away anyways after it frys your engine.... not to mention if you have an accident and your bottle get hits BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!....

:thumbsup:
...good to see OH'ers laying the (practical and safe) smack down. :) NOS on public roads just seems pretty retarded IMO. Plain dangerous.

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 09:34 AM
lol after all this is done, can i have the NOS tank?? i'm serious mate

PhatSol
22-11-2004, 07:08 PM
not to mention if you have an accident and your bottle get hits BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!....

LPG and CNG powered cars drive around every day without going "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!....". The NOS tank can be quite safe if it is installed correctly.

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 07:40 PM
scrapn probably has the nos tank in the engine bay tho. =o) just jokin =o)

everything's safe if handled safely.

51REK
04-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back up again, but have you guys ever heard of cryo2? is it illegal as well? i haven't heard much about it but i know a little bit about it.

CTR Coupe
04-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back up again, but have you guys ever heard of cryo2? is it illegal as well? i haven't heard much about it but i know a little bit about it.

Just looks like the ricer version of nitrous. I.e. looks like nitrous but doesn’t do anything.

And if you did get pulled over by the cops I think you would have a bit of a hard time explaining that it’s not nitrous and get defected anyway.

Cliff notes: Waste of time

integraz
05-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Cry02, is not a ricy version of Nos, it has a different purpose by cooling the intake, bit like a water to air intercooler but just colder, turbos should benefit most from it, and Na would also, but you won't see massive gains, but u should see substanial gains.

Its cheaper than nitrous, so it can be used as a cooler. nitrous however is just adding more oxygen into your engine, and also at the same time cooling the intake, which hence makes more power.

It seems that it is safer than NOS but its isnt, because it is still a gas in a bottle, and the safety issue is that the Police don't want an exploding tank when u guys getrammed in the ass or get in an accident.

If u have the bottle bolted onto its bracket it should be ok,[ but hooking it up to the engine could lead to a fine], but with any gas bottle, even the ones u use for bbq, it should be tyed down somehow, and not left on the front seat, etc.

So is Cryo2 illegal: I wouldn't have a clue, cause i have never used to it and got caught, but being in a gas bottle, and etc etc i assume it would be like NOS.

I believe that NOS isnt illegal for making the big power it makes, because big turbos would be also. The problem is that u have a a Bottle with gas pressurised to 500+psi, and that they[police, lawppl] don't want the bottle head snapping off in an accident, with the bottle flying around, because it was held down by two screws,[ this is when it is turned on] if turned off it shouldnt happen.

AND is it a waste of time? If you to use it on the street, however on the track it should prove useful.

mugeneration
05-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Ever wondered why trucks transporting bottles of gas have those warning signs on the back of them?NOS is just stupid unless on the track/strip. Use that money to buy a bigger car or engine, something you can use all the time and not worry about the cops defecting you for it. Hell I've thought about getting NOS but I just realised how thinck it was, I'd get myself, or worse someone else, killed.

Geekstar
22-04-2006, 12:26 AM
dump a b18c7 and turbocharge it man!!!!!!! bit more than the $2k+ though......but still good ^__________________________________^ or get the type-r engine, lightweight mags, stripped interior, light weight gear etc etc then you can leave the rexies and skylines behind!