PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] Help! My HORN stopped working!

MRH-22A
31-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Hoping somebody reading this will be able to help me fix my horn.

First of all. Its a 95 Accord that came with SRS. It has an aftermarket steering wheel on it. Everything had been working perfectly fine for the past 3years and suddenly the horn doesnt go off anymore.

When i press the horn button, I can hear a CLICK sound.

..This sound is coming from behind the center console.

Also when i press the horn, I can FEEL something move when i place my hand against the center console.

Anybody have any ideas?

FAT VTI
31-10-2008, 03:44 PM
checked your fuse and horn relay? your battery alright?

Element12
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
checked your fuse and horn relay? your battery alright?

Thats very odd :S workshop manual ?

It may say something to do with where the horn relay etc is located :/

Goodluck !

MRH-22A
03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Havent checked the fuse, and dont know where the horn relay is.

Battery is less than a year old.

Argh... might just take it to an autoelectrician.

FAT VTI
04-11-2008, 06:00 PM
horn relay is in fuse box in engine bay im pretty sure, theres 4 relays, have a look, im 80% sure its there. hook ur battery up to a charger, see if it charges. or drive into a repco and take ur battery in ,make sure its alright.
My hazard lights relay was buzzing badly coz it wasn't getting enough power, coz my battery was fkd. I was able to drive it, but it was buzzing until the battery finally went flat. Might as well test it man, it's a free service.

MRH-22A
04-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I've tested the batter with a multimeter. Its fully charged.

I'll check the fuse box in the engine bay.

snYpz
04-11-2008, 09:00 PM
my dad had the same problem on his 98 accord. The mechanic couldnt fix the problem. Ended up having to purchase a new airbag unit + horn (i think) from honda. Now its working fine and better than new. Apparently this was a common problem because this was the earlier generation of hondas with airbags.

Thats all i know about it. Maybe someone can correct me or confirm.

MRH-22A
04-11-2008, 09:24 PM
got this from: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071006104701AAclK3p

If your car horn has only one wire connect the test light to this terminal (do not forget to connect the other end of the test light to earth).
When you press the horn button the test light should light up. If it does replace the horn. If it does not you have more problems.
If your horn has two wires. One of these wires should be live . Check this with a test lamp. If you have no live feed it may be a fuse problem.
If you have a feed here pull the other wire off and connect the now empty terminal to ground, the horn should sound. If it does not replace the horn.
If the horn does sound then you have a switch (or switch wiring problem).

Gonna test it out tomoro!

ECU-MAN
05-11-2008, 08:20 AM
SRS clock spring may have failed,

MRH-22A
05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I followed the test guide and found that the horn unit is dead. Gotta replace it. Thats all.

Anybody wana suggest a super loud beasty horn?

Element12
05-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I followed the test guide and found that the horn unit is dead. Gotta replace it. Thats all.

Anybody wana suggest a super loud beasty horn?

Yeah ?

How loud ? I hear a train horn conversion comming up !

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pjycPit1DPo

http://www.trucktrainhorns.com/

Or just shop around on eBay for Aftermarket ones.

MRH-22A
05-11-2008, 11:00 PM
LOL that clip was funny

ECU-MAN
06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
what a ripper,

I want a horn like that in my car

MRH-22A
06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Went to wreckers today and picked up 2 oem horn units. Put them in and the horn is working again.

Element12
06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Went to wreckers today and picked up 2 oem horn units. Put them in and the horn is working again.

Niiice !

The train horn conversion is overrated, but would be hella fun !

One problem would be is the cops :/ and people also hunting you down :P

It would have to be in the most common car like a corolla or a ford or commodore :P