PDA

View Full Version : camz?

ozi_crx
31-10-2008, 05:33 PM
i have a 92'' crx, just wondering if it is worth gettin the cams worked on it?

trism
31-10-2008, 05:39 PM
only if you have done intake headers and exhaust, and have an ecu you can tune to get the most out of them

DLO01
31-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Lots of aftermarket Cams to choose from.....

Have you had anything else done to the car? Intake exhaust? Give us the full story please.

If its stock. You'll be better off doing intake, headers, exhaust first. That will give you good gains.

If you want to do cams/springs alone, it may not give you the gains you expect but, the above, + compressing increase + ecu and tune will give you very good results.

g.ta
31-10-2008, 05:54 PM
the basic mods should be taken care of ie. I/H/E
bigger tb w/ ported intake mani to match

before going into the internals.

ozi_crx
02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Lots of aftermarket Cams to choose from.....

Have you had anything else done to the car? Intake exhaust? Give us the full story please.

If its stock. You'll be better off doing intake, headers, exhaust first. That will give you good gains.

If you want to do cams/springs alone, it may not give you the gains you expect but, the above, + compressing increase + ecu and tune will give you very good results.
yer i have a full x force exhaust and and intake now what should be my nxt step?

kraiye
02-11-2008, 05:15 PM
determine the size ie: if you want street cams, race cams or whatever.

depending on the size of the cams you may need springs/retainers and ecu too.

VTECMACHINE
02-11-2008, 11:42 PM
If your cars for the street.. don't bother. The most reliable engine is a fully OEM standard one.
If you do race it.. there is alot of other things you can do before Cams. Ie: working on response, and grip.

ozi_crx
03-11-2008, 06:30 PM
If your cars for the street.. don't bother. The most reliable engine is a fully OEM standard one.
If you do race it.. there is alot of other things you can do before Cams. Ie: working on response, and grip.
can you tell me more?

dsp26
03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
can you tell me more?

[/URL][URL]http://www.ek9.org/forum/resource-area/137-vtec-camshafts-specs-comparison-honda-b-series-engines.html (http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=141)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

VTECMACHINE
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
can you tell me more?

IN MY OPINION... for a street car it's not worth blowing thousands and thousands on a fully race built engine. End of the day, it's going to be annoying to drive and less reliable than a straight outta factory engine. Yes you might get a nice exhaust note, and the lumpy cam idle. But it's just not worth it if you aren't going to race your car.

If I were you, and was concerned about street performance. I would focus on engine reponse and handling.

This would involve, a set of coilovers (Koni's are OK for the street even though I find them horrible) - and depending on the use of the car (street only, or Touge/winding roads etc) you can get camber arms etc. Bigger sway bars, and some strut bars.

I would dump the Xforce exhaust and buy a quality result proven exhaust. I got a heap of power and response from just changing my cat back from Spoon to J's Racing. Highflow cat, and a GOOD set of headers (i.e: Not Xforce)

Good Intake, and larger throttle body to get more air.

Then ECU, and bigger injectors and fuel pump - get the ECU tuned, and you'll have a whole bunch of fun.

Good clutch and light flywheel to harness the power also.

Oh also.. don't look past tyres... more important thing on your car. People tend to look past these. It's the only thing between the road and the car. Lighter wheels also improve turn in response, and apparently accelleration (I didn't notice much of this, but turn in response is greatly improved).

Well yeah that was "if I were you", IMO thing.