PDA

View Full Version : New F1 Team Approved

LUD02C
08-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Look here.

Click (http://www.formula1.com/news/2303.html)

Or for the lazy people

New player to join the Paddock

A new Formula One team, Midland F1, will make its debut at the 2006 Australian Grand Prix, it was announced today. Behind the venture is the Midland Group, a privately-owned international trading and investment-holding organization registered in Guernsey but most active in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
“We are in the middle of a selection process for the crew,” revealed Midland co-founder and chairman Alex Shnaider, 36. “The car will be built in partnership with Dallara in Italy and the team’s headquarters will be on the outskirts of London.”

On the question of engine supply, he stated: “We are holding talks with the usual suspects, but there is nothing to announce yet. But by January-February we should be able to reveal everything.”

And as to who will sit in the Midland F1 cockpits, Shnaider commented: “As I said, we are in the middle of the selection process but it is very likely that Formula One will see its first Russian rookie in the near future.”

On the reasons for the Midland Group’s participation in Formula One racing, he said: “For a global-acting business conglomerate, the search for a global platform is mutual and Formula One is the perfect fit: it’s global, it’s competitive, it’s tactical and it’s high tech. I am surprised that no one has realized that having a Formula One team is like getting an NBA or NHL franchise for free, as it is one of the world’s most popular sports. The opportunity to create value is immense and it stuns me that there are not more companies that have identified this opportunity just as we have.”

Shnaider is clearly intent on winning and has no interest in the Olympic ideal of simply participating. “Everybody wants to win. Midland F1 will be no exception to that. But first we have to do our homework: put a team together – the right people, a competitive car. Then we can start thinking about winning. But I can assure you winning will be on our agenda.”

And while the entrepreneur will take control of the initial stages of the venture, he evidently has no ambitions to run the team himself in the long term. “Within Midland Group the Formula One project is my line of action and I will co-ordinate the build-up. Once the team is established I will delegate the day-to-day-business to a team manager.”

Finally, regarding the investment needed for a successful Grand Prix team, Shnaider is reassuringly unconcerned. “We understand that basic survival in Formula One requires a budget of around US$ 100 million per annum, and we are prepared for that,” he said.

McChook
23-10-2004, 08:43 PM
This is a big thing for F1 - new team with a shitload of cash to spend when the new rules take place = bloody good chance of stealing some thunder early...

And Dallara build good cars....

7th Gen
23-10-2004, 10:14 PM
yep as well as this Midland team there is also some cashed-up person in Dubai (?) who wants to set up a team as well

when i heard it was a russian connection, i immediately thought of chelsea - you will understand if you follow the soccer. basically a russian oil tycoon bought the team and bought a lot of good players, money no object

so uh, tips for the final round in brazil? :D
i think we need to get more people involved and set up some form of spreadsheet/running table which is updated after each round. and people need to get their tips in by a certain time etc. i mean it's kinda ad hoc this yr but maybe next yr we can make it a bit more organised

LUDO2C, i notice that you are the only real F1/motorsport regular here.
kudos also to loeb for getting the WRC title last week in corsica

LUD02C
24-10-2004, 01:00 AM
LUDO2C, i notice that you are the only real F1/motorsport regular here.
kudos also to loeb for getting the WRC title last week in corsica

Thanks Mate, I love my motorsport from racing CRG clubman karts on the weekend to watching WRC or F1.

As for Loeb he deserves it, I wish he got orders last year saying fight for WDC as well as WCC.
Leob is like Michael Schumacher, he has a great car and a team that loves him.

Also, isn't Dallara building the chassis for Midland?

Tips for Brazil?
On Foxtel they said it was going to be raining (eurosport news)

McChook
24-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Seb Loeb is a dead set awesome driver - not that any of the WRC drivers are bad, they are all brave maniacs, who are extremely talented... I find it more exciting than F1, even watching WRC repeats on one week delay, it is far more hair raising... Less overtaking than F1 too...
And Corsica is the shiznit - I have to go there and watch the WRC on the tarmac - my favourite rally of the year for sure....
And I love watching Gilles Pannizi on the tarmac. There is NO ONE like him.....

Dallara run in F3000 (I think...), so they may not only build the cars, but likely assist in running the team at the track for a while....
Will be interesting to see what engines power this team though.

I heard there was a Dubai connection too - I was expecting this to be that announcement... But a Russian funded team doesn;t surprise me - and I thought of Chelsea too... I guess it will be some oil Billionaire in Dubai.... more teams = good.. especially with not ford/jaguar from next year...

7th Gen
24-10-2004, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE=McChook]
And I love watching Gilles Pannizi on the tarmac. There is NO ONE like him.....
QUOTE]

i remember panizzi in the 206 one year was leading by so much, he actually done a few doughnuts for the crowd whilst racing, damn he is the master on tarmac

sorry to hijack the thread from F1 to WRC :D

panda[cRx]
24-10-2004, 04:34 AM
what kinda engine will they be using?

LUD02C
24-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Russian Born Canadian Alex Shnaider is funding the construction of chassis by Dallara.

But making a new team they get no TV income until end of concorde agreement (ends 2007) which means they will be foregoing payments of around $30mil US a year!

But it could be cheaper if they buy jaguar and change everything around and then they get TV income :D
And from Joe Saward (f1 media guy) engines are a problem with them, but Midland group might buy out Cosworth Racing and make engines.
How good is this.
Then Ford and Minardi will have engines.

This is from 2 websites some german and english f1 sites.

kenshin
06-11-2004, 12:54 PM
still no word on whats gonna happen to jagular? pitty they always said they were in it for the long run... steward team wasnt doing too shabby either in its final year... be shame to see jagular leaving so soon...
g'luck to the new boys thou...
hopefully wont be as dull as this year's comp with ferrari strolling away after 2 laps

LUD02C
06-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Mate, its Jaguar! lol

I think next year will be Ferrari running away with it, but Jenson, Kimi, Rubens, Alonso, Juan and Webber fighting it out.
Watch out for Fisichella and Jacques!