PDA

View Full Version : urgent; intermediate shaft outer seal

vinnY
31-10-2008, 09:17 PM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8984/screenshot35jn6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

this is the bad boy in question.. how the hell do i remove the outer seal?
i've tried prying at it with a screw driver and it won't budge
not sure whether its a good idea just to crap grease in there along with all the dirt thats gone in :(

i can clean it out with acetone/wd40 but i'm assuming it'll just damage the seal

hisoka
31-10-2008, 10:09 PM
i think you can use CRC spray on there ?

vinnY
31-10-2008, 10:11 PM
gonna have to get it all out again and regrease it somehow

maybe i'll just rag + finger it and pack whatever grease i can in there :(

hisoka
31-10-2008, 10:27 PM
its a rubber seal right ? get crc rubber spray. does same shit as WD40 but for rubber bits. perfect for ure situation

vinnY
31-10-2008, 10:29 PM
i don't think lube spray is going to mix well with grease unless you clean it properly

plus i sorta don't have the time to go out to buy it because everyones closed at 11;30pm for some odd reason..

hisoka
31-10-2008, 10:31 PM
ohh ok just tryna help. i thought it would do the trick. ive never opened this parts before

vinnY
31-10-2008, 10:35 PM
yeah its a bit of a pain in the arse, just don't want the bearings to go bad because of dirt getting in there
might just reuse my old intermediate shaft and hope its just my driveshafts that are bad and causing vibrations

thanks for the help anyway dude

bennjamin
01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
flat head scewdriver , place it diagonal into one iiner and slowly shift it out (like doing a driveshaft seal)

vinnY
01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
yep tried that last night, didn't budge
took out my current intermediate shaft and it appears to be fine so i just reused it
when i say fine i mean visually and no excessive play(no more than my spare one sitting here)

unfortunately a new set of drive shafts and new fluid still hasn't fixed my shake on acceleration issue :( still looking at other possible causes

bennjamin
01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
typical honda ghost. Had one like this , solid mounts fixed it.

There is something else you are missing. I think maybe diff gone ?

vinnY
01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
yeah happened a couple weeks after my motor swap
rear and both torque mounts are solid and using energy suspension inserts respectively

both side mounts are stock though

yeah theres gotta be something but i can't put my finger on it

any signs to check for a blown diff? theres no funky sounds
it'll just start to shake the car around 3-4k rpm on moderate throttle but if i give it any less than 15% throttle or more than 70% throttle it doesn't seem to be affected

it'll probably much wobble above 105km/h on the freeway in fifth when i acceleration, seems to stop when i let off though

it's just real strange that it happens within an rpm range.. something funky with my ignition?

just replaced my dizzy cap because i saw some cracks around the edges of my old one, see if thats helped at all

maybe i should look at loosening the motor mounts and torquing them up correctly again? would having something over-torqued cause something like this?

bennjamin
01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
lol nfi. i know you have been chasing this ghost for awhile.
But key factors is that is happens only when under load right ?
might be time totake your gb out and check the diff. just for fun. lol.
are you sure your wheels are in balance ? are you certain every part of your suspension is correctly torqued?

JasonGilholme
01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
sounds like a mount/bushing of some sort. from what i read under load its fine, and off load its fine, its only when partial throttle is applied which makes me believe the engine/sussy is movin around when it has no real pressure applied to it (no braking/accelerating just cruising/light acceleration)

vinnY
01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
yeah under load only it seems
happens the most in second between 3-4krpm, very mild in other gears in the same rev range
cry i don't wanna pull the gearbox out, no time :(

yeah i've changed different sets of wheels, still no dice
i'm pretty certain i've torqued everything up but i guess i'll have to double check

god i hope its not expensive to fix, spewing :(

from what i've read usually shaking on acceleration it's usually one of the cv joints are stuffed
but i've tried 3 different driver side shafts and two passenger side shafts
maybe i should change out the half shaft just incase :(
the two i have are somewhat different though
the diameter of the current one(b18c7) seems to be about 31mm
but the spare one i have here seems to be about 27mm in diameter
guess it won't make a difference will it?

vinnY
01-11-2008, 02:02 PM
well no joy for me, changed the intermediate shaft and still shakey shakey :(
god i really don't wanna pull my box out