PDA

View Full Version : topped up my engine oil

SuperSteve
31-10-2008, 09:18 PM
hey guys i topped up my engine oil 2day after tracking my car yesterday and because the dip stick is hard to read ( all it has is 2 holes min/max and smooth metal inbetween is its hard to tell what level the oil is at ) i went over the top hole and i think ive overfilled the engine a lil. Is it ok ?? will the excess just burn off ??

migoreng
31-10-2008, 09:24 PM
i check my oil in the mornings.
if you check 5mins after a drive the reading can be low so you may top up over the full mark.
so you should wait like an hour or two for all the oil to go down or better check in the mornings.

dudeling7
31-10-2008, 09:35 PM
yeh you should wait till the oil has settled back down into the sump before you take a reading. thus in the morning before the engine has turned on or a few hours after would work just as well.

also take out the dip stick and wipe the current oil off then dip it in then pull it back out to give you the most accurate reading :)

SuperSteve
31-10-2008, 10:11 PM
thanks guys for the info but i know how to take the oil reading but my dip stick design is crap. All it has is 2 holes for ur min and max point and the metal is smooth all along so there arent any lil slits to give u a indication of where the oil level is up to so its hard for me to get a accurate ready. But when i topped up my oil i filled it up left it to sit for 30 minutes then checked it and yeah both holes had oil in them. So yeah now im just wondering what problems could arise from having the oil level over maximum a lil ??

riruiz_88
31-10-2008, 10:22 PM
wouldnt matter if you went over by just a couple mm over full mark. if you did go over by a good margin then expect sensors to play up

SuperSteve
31-10-2008, 10:29 PM
wouldnt matter if you went over by just a couple mm over full mark. if you did go over by a good margin then expect sensors to play up

ok mate :) cheers for that info :)

aaronng
31-10-2008, 11:12 PM
You'll be alright. I top it up to about 5mm above the max hole when I am going for trackdays.

tekung89
31-10-2008, 11:59 PM
yeh a tiny bit more then the max hole would be good for track days. gotta take into account the oil being burnt , used and g'forced around

SuperSteve
01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
awesome :) thanks guys for the tip ill b sure to do that next time i go wakie ! :D cheers guys.

paps02
13-11-2008, 12:14 PM
read in another thread if too much oil is put in it can seriously fk sht up!?

like i said i read it in another thread so i have no idea what it could do.

vinnY
13-11-2008, 12:17 PM
yeah if you put in way too much it's going to affect things
bit of overfill isn't going to do much

Limbo
13-11-2008, 12:18 PM
yeah too much builds up too much pressure in the crank case and causes premature wear and i heard in reall bad situations blows some of the seals

Alittle bit over isn't too much of a problem.
On most B series i know when you vtec alot you've burn that little bit away.....

aaronng
13-11-2008, 12:19 PM
read in another thread if too much oil is put in it can seriously fk sht up!?

like i said i read it in another thread so i have no idea what it could do.
Extra 500ml is ok. But extra 4L is not.

SPEEDCORE
13-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I still don't understand how it can be hard to read......

Pull out, wipe, dip, pull out and check level of wetness on stick.

I'm getting a half mongrel typing that.

Limbo
13-11-2008, 01:01 PM
lol, if the ep3 is anything like the EU, i know what he is talking about. The oils doesn't seem to stick to the stick that well and its hard to read. Not like my EK.
But my Ek has other issues like getting the stick into the hole!

aaronng
13-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I still don't understand how it can be hard to read......

Pull out, wipe, dip, pull out and check level of wetness on stick.

I'm getting a half mongrel typing that.
Because the K series dipstick doesn't have slots/groove/multiple holes to hold the oil at the level. I find it difficult to read clearly if the oil is new. I just fill it so that it is roughly at or above the maximum mark and then check in a week's time.

SPEEDCORE
13-11-2008, 01:17 PM
My B series has non of those either....

aaronng
13-11-2008, 01:25 PM
If you dare, take a hardened metal tip scribe and just score some criss crosses between the min and max holes. Then the oil will be held on the stick a little better. Don't score too deep, otherwise you risk weakening the dipstick.