PDA

View Full Version : changing intake system

sarantosser
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, one of the first things i'd like to do, is replace my air intake system.

i've had a search, even went to how stuff works, but couldn't find anything explaining the parts of an air intake system...

if i was to replace this system do i need to replace the entire pipe, as well as filter? or can i get away with just replacing the filter?

further, is there much point replaicng the air intake anyway? is there any notable difference, in engine power?

cheers, james

aaronng
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Try searching here in the civic section, using "CAI*"

Frankie
03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
you jsut change your panel filter to a k and n one thats menas you wouldnt have to chaneg the pipe... but if you wanted a bit more power and better power than go for CAI or SRI. bigger pipes better intake thats menas you would hav to chaneg the whole pipe

g.ta
04-11-2008, 01:36 AM
just remove the airbox and leave the rest of the oem piping, get hold of some 3inch piping and slap the pod on one side and stick the other side into the existing piping.

55EXX
04-11-2008, 05:55 AM
increasing the amount of air flow by reducing restrictions is the goal. by having more air get into the engine more power is produced and a greater throttle response is achieved.

sarantosser
04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
cheers, so i think i might do what g.ta said.. sounds relatively simple ahahah

so, is that tachnically a 'short ram intake'? or is is just considered normal?
ill probably get started on this soon. :)

DNY*BOY
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
a) what car ?
b) SRI recommended as replacement it is daily driver as CAI reduces torque curve....
c) whats ur budget?

g.ta
04-11-2008, 10:19 AM
cheers, so i think i might do what g.ta said.. sounds relatively simple ahahah

so, is that tachnically a 'short ram intake'? or is is just considered normal?
ill probably get started on this soon. :)

that would be considered as "normal"..

a SRI would normally have all the piping replaced and the pod routed near or behind the battery or as far away as possible whilst whilst still being housed in the engine bay.

sarantosser
04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
dny boy - its a ek1 honda civic 1996, andi have a relatively low budget - around $200 maximum.. (poor)
and about the torque is it desirable to reduce the curve or no?

in any case, are the all similar priced? is it worth me going a CAI or SRI or even jsut a filter change depending on how much my money can get me?

cheers

DNY*BOY
04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
well a CAI youll loose torque as the piping is longer therfore taking longer to get to the intake manifold , SRI for a good 1 wont be cheap i mean theres a few traders on here you might be able to get one off but just get a pod or raplacement panel filter make a lil difference.... =) keep saving get a good SRI

sarantosser
04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
ok sweet man, ill replace the filter in the meantime.. how much money am i looking at for a decent SRI ? - placed my bets today on the cup, maybe i can buy one tomoz if im lucky ahaha

DNY*BOY
04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
haha who u backing lol yea i mean 200 check out the trader section JDMyard has some good stuff ur running a d16y8 yea? theres a good k&n SRI that i got k&n 63-1017 top setup( from rocket inds) yea get a k&n panel replacement for the time being and then start shoping ur looking between 200 and 450 but its up to u on what u want and so forth .... google is ur best friend...actaully theres even the top fuel 1000 system SRI its not bad havent heard nythin bad bout em

trism
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
you wont loose torque

dont make up shit

youll loose slight bottom end throttle response, but it will be barely noticeable

dont get a pod.

on a totally stock car they are pointless

get some plsatic flexi piping, run it from inside of the guard or the byumper bar up to the bottom of teh stock airbox, and feed it in there

replace stock filter with a high flow K&N item

cheap, effective, and not illegal like a pod

DNY*BOY
04-11-2008, 12:58 PM
i was answering a question not making up i was going off facts ive experienced and read off othere sites with otheres asking about intakes if you feel you know it all why dont all the threads go to you then....i was only trying to help someone

sarantosser
04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Ive backed Mad Rush, Bauer and Septimus each for a win and place. hopefully i'll get something :p

I am pretty sure i've got a d16y8, so i'll get onto those k&n panel filters pretty soon. just another question - do i have to get these sort of filters from in internet, or are there retailers in melbourne i can get them from?

also, went and took a look uner the bonnet aha, and the air intake i have now seems to go all the way down to the front bumper collecting air from there.. thats pretty much standard right? so if ive got cool air in then id prefer to only change the panel filter.

cheers again :)

DNY*BOY
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-1017 yea i have this one i have the same motor too i kept the stock intake from behind the front bar but i ended up making a custom one which anded at teh whole in the engine bay ... keep that piece and replace jsut the intake until then u can get a replacemnt panle for now make some diff

DNY*BOY
04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
did u win i lost hard

sarantosser
04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Lol cheers bro i aprreciate your help!
this is what i was thinkin of getting until i can scrape some proper money together..

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2120

is that the right filter for my car? cheers

lol i bet 5 bucks on Bauer to place only, so ill get something stupid like 15 bucks back from 25 that a spent on other horses

DNY*BOY
04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
haha i bet on stupid mad rush dumb horse! somethin is better than nuttin aye lol yep das sd filter auto barn n that should havem ...

sarantosser
09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
ok i have purchased a k&n panel filter and am waiting its arrival...
a family friend advised me to cut the intake tube that i have so the hole is at the bottom of the car... is this ok to do?

obviously i'll take a look at my piping and shit before i cut anything, but yeah.

just want to make sure - cheers

EDIT: Ok i took a look and it seems that cutting piping would be a stupid idea cos it seems to be connected to somewhere under the bumper - so ill just stick with a k&n filter