PDA

View Full Version : tucking engine bay

ucme
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
hey guys im currently planning on tucking the abs fuse box in my EG2. just wondering if theres any harm im extending the wires? logic tells me there isnt but ive heard a few people say that they've had trouble when extending the wires with sensors playing up

any info would help

thanks

dsp26
03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
^^^thats what you gotta do.. it's coz most of those people who do it twist wires together instead of soldering them....

probably also better to use same rating wire... thicker wires will affect line resistance and sensors but it'd be VERY minute though...

bennjamin
03-11-2008, 07:03 PM
bare minimum use heat shrink for a secure hold dont just use abit of tape.

vinnY
04-11-2008, 08:06 PM
iirc the power cable for the fuse box is about 8ga

if you don't want to solder or have a hard time soldering large cables you can grab one of these (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HC4065&CATID=&keywords=8ga&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=) from jaycar
currently using one for my amp power cable and it works fine
just make sure you give it a few layers of heatshrink so it doesn't have the chance to short out on something

ucme
06-11-2008, 01:37 AM
i just replaced the whole power cable for the fuse box instead of extending it. all in all the tuck went fairly well and no probs have been noticed so far. :)

vinnY
06-11-2008, 07:43 AM
nice, what gauge wire did you end up using and what length did you end up using? looking to do mine soon maybe :)

DA9B18C
06-11-2008, 08:57 AM
pics???

Paul1985
06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I relocated mine under the dash aswell as tucking the headlight harnesses

Pretty sure all i had to extend was 2 wires from the fusebox and 2 wires to the headlight earth junction.

I made new starter/battery cables.
I used 8 gauge and fired my car up yesterday with no issues.

As everyone has said... If you use the correct wiring and join it properly, will be fine.

If you are extending the starter/battery cables longer than stock, maybe you wanna go with maybe a better gauge.. Look at the size of the OEM cables.... They are 8 gauge.

I used a cheap soldering iron for the fusebox wires and some solder with some heat shrink. Starter cables i used crimp connectors to suit 8 gauge and new battery terminals.

JasonGilholme
06-11-2008, 09:29 AM
in my EG2 there was no need to extend any wires, and i've tucked the fuse box, drivers side, passengers side and engine loom.

only extentions was for the battery cables when i relocated the battery to the boot.

the less cutting you do the better. :thumbsup:

vinnY
06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
^ what gauge wires and lengths are you guys running for the battery to the boot? i've heard a lot of people get away with 4ga but some guys swear by 0ga

ucme
07-11-2008, 01:32 AM
in my EG2 there was no need to extend any wires, and i've tucked the fuse box, drivers side, passengers side and engine loom.

only extentions was for the battery cables when i relocated the battery to the boot.

the less cutting you do the better. :thumbsup:

i relocated just the abs fusebox and the passenger side headlight loom under the headlight behind the front bar. i was considering going under the dash but this instead. was this a bad choice?