PDA

View Full Version : Possible exhaust or VTEC issue.

Stevo77
05-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Hey guys, i have a 1994 Integra VTI-R and have noticed something a little strange a couple of days ago which is kinda worrying me...

I was driving the other day when i put my foot down and noticed that my STOCK exhaust sounded really deep and loud.. almost as if i had an upgraded one on it. I also noticed that my revs dropped and felt as though i was lacking a bit of performance.. Soo i revved the car to the vtec range when it felt almost as though vtec wasnt really kicking in.. I think it was but just nowhere near as noticably as before. When i pulled over my first thought was a possible hole in my muffler but from looking at it the muffler seemed fine but i did notice a kind of burning smell from the exhuast.

Soo i am quite confused right now and am worrying a little..

At the moment im thinking its either an exhaust issue, a VTEC issue with the Vtec solenoid or an oil burning issue as my oil is due for a change..

If anyone has had a similar experience or any ideas on what to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

T-onedc2
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
1) is your intake stock?

2) possible hole in exhaust near header?

3) rear muffler internals/baffles may have corroded therefore not muffling?

4) when was your last oil change? (unlikely cause of sound tho)

adu
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
are you in the fivedock area?

l3vnd1
05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Check oil level.

VTEC works on oil pressure, if your due for an oil service, your oil may be low and VTEC wont be engaging as vigorously.

Stevo77
05-11-2008, 11:52 PM
thanks for the replies guys..
umm.. Tonedc2. naa my intake isnt stock.. i have a k&n cold air intake and yeah i checked muffler for holes but seems fine. oil is in need of changing soo im changing it tomorrow, i bought oil and filter already soo yeah... and l3vnd1 i am due for a service and oil is a little low so that is the most likely cause of vtec not being so vigorous.

and adu. naa i dont live in five dock but i drive through croydon and five dock alot... might have seen me there.

ill get the oil change tomorrow and get the muffler checked out for corrosion or any holes i might not be able to see from the outside and ill let u all know how i go...

thanks again guys.
Stephen.

Stevo77
09-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey guys.. got my oil change done and all seems fine now.. vtec is kicking in hard and the sound has disappeared for some reason. i doubted that the oil change would have solved the sound issue but it must have. unless its coincidence

Anyway thanks heaps for the help guys, greatly appreciate it.

Cheers Stephen.