PDA

View Full Version : exhaust size

Nervegas
09-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Just pondering if any1 knows how big the full exhaust of an '95 accord exi is?
i've been told 2.25' all the way thru but i'm finding that hard to believe as i was looking at putting a new exhaust system all the way thru

Type R Positive
09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
I would go 2.5" all the way through, stock is around 2.25"

Nervegas
09-10-2004, 01:10 PM
would going to 2.5' all the way thru make a big difference from 2.25' though?

Type R Positive
09-10-2004, 01:12 PM
less restriction, so yeah as long as your muffler is not restrictive. It is the scavenging properties that you have to worry about.

h22a accord
09-10-2004, 03:49 PM
i got my 2.5 " exhaust db tested today, 60db at idle, 83db at 3000rpm, 90db at 4500rpm and 94db at 6500rpm.

is that too loud?

Usual Suspect
09-10-2004, 04:33 PM
on my old beast i got a 2.25" Mandrel Bent straight through, does the job, more top end power, little better on acceleration.

viperx
09-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Mate stock for a 94-97 accord is 1.75". Get a 2.25", I'm reasonably sure from trial and error its the best for an F22 (however yours is not vtec... so it may be a bit different. I don't see how NOT having a high flow cam can make getting a smaller pipe detrimental though), 2.5" is too big in my opinion for comfortable everyday driving

Then again this is all dependent on how many bends etc etc...

BF
09-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeh, I think Viperx is right... 2.25" sounds way to big for accord and I think 2.5" is too big unless ur considering serious internal work...

Usual Suspect
09-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Yeh, I think Viperx is right... 2.25" sounds way to big for accord and I think 2.5" is too big unless ur considering serious internal work...

I think u will find viper is saying 2.25" is the go.

Most shops know whats good for honda's and they usually uggest 2.25" or 2" mandrel bent.

Type R Positive
09-10-2004, 11:20 PM
you will most probably find most shops will say 2.25" for any 4cyl, but 2.5" for honda's. I suppose you won't know unless you dyno compare them. It would make stuff all difference though. It depends how much drone you can put up with.

Nervegas
10-10-2004, 04:50 PM
thats another side to it, wether or not i want the drone. personally i like the honda for being a quiet car, however i'd also like a bit of bass at times so i suppose it will all come down to how i want to work it.
Thanks for all the replies

Type R Positive
10-10-2004, 10:24 PM
remember, you can't beat quality......

viperx
11-10-2004, 12:31 AM
thats another side to it, wether or not i want the drone. personally i like the honda for being a quiet car, however i'd also like a bit of bass at times so i suppose it will all come down to how i want to work it.
Thanks for all the replies

This depends on what you mean by drone... if you mean 'drone' as rpm/frequency specific increases in amplitude then resonators will cut them out to a certain extent without damaging your flow too much, but if you want 'quiet' then it will be hard. the tone of an exhaust in a lot of ways is determined by the engine. its easier to get a nice deep tone out of a larger capacity engine without getting it overtly loud. but then again, it depends on what you mean by 'loud' doesn't it...

By the way, the F22 is a rather loud engine by nature...

viperx
11-10-2004, 12:34 AM
you will most probably find most shops will say 2.25" for any 4cyl, but 2.5" for honda's. I suppose you won't know unless you dyno compare them. It would make stuff all difference though. It depends how much drone you can put up with.

I've never heard of this before. Which shops say this? I'd be interested to know.

Btw he doesn't have VTEC so I'm not sure the 2.5" logic works. but then again in my experience 2.5" don't even work that well for H22s... but depends on what the design was I guess... there are individual variations

h22a accord
11-10-2004, 08:25 AM
viperx- what diameter piping should i have on my h22?

Type R Positive
11-10-2004, 09:46 AM
You will find just about all Japanese exhausts for Honda are 60mm (2.4"). I am yet to see smaller........

BF
11-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I think u will find viper is saying 2.25" is the go.

Most shops know whats good for honda's and they usually uggest 2.25" or 2" mandrel bent.

Apologies... I didnt make myself clear... I meant 2.25" is bigger than the stock exhaust...

=)

vtecinaccord
12-10-2004, 11:59 AM
I have on my 94 Vti accord a 2.25" Mandrel bent cat back with a sorta medium size resornator in the middle with a magnaflow street series oval muff on the back it is perfect. i love it, good note when upping it no noise when cruising no drone love it. but you can hear the nice pleasant note all the time if you listen. download my video on my website for the sound

viperx
12-10-2004, 04:43 PM
You will find just about all Japanese exhausts for Honda are 60mm (2.4"). I am yet to see smaller........

isnt' this aftermarket??

viperx
12-10-2004, 04:46 PM
viperx- what diameter piping should i have on my h22?

Hey i really don't know. But from what i have tried h22's seem a bit flat down below with a 2.5" mandrel bent system. But it might just be that particular system.

Type R Positive
12-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Yes, aftermarket exhaust systems sorry.

dundas
13-10-2004, 12:43 AM
hey- justwondering, is it best to follow the original path of the stock exhaust or change the path of the piping,,,,i rekon if the path of the exhaust piping changed it would make it more free flowing--- esp if u cut a few turns out-
umm i got a PHAT magnaflow muffler da oval one and it keeps things nice and quiet until i wanna give it sum extra petrol ^_^--- but my intake is still about 30% louder than my exhaust ahahaha funni isn't it-- i say u want loud noise just wack a intake on it ^_^

EuroAccord13
13-10-2004, 02:13 AM
hey- justwondering, is it best to follow the original path of the stock exhaust or change the path of the piping,,,,i rekon if the path of the exhaust piping changed it would make it more free flowing

It's actually quite pointless to have less angled bends in the exhaust if your mods are not top notch... the sort of mods we generally do, it's not worth the time or money... :)

viperx
13-10-2004, 10:29 PM
It's actually quite pointless to have less angled bends in the exhaust if your mods are not top notch... the sort of mods we generally do, it's not worth the time or money... :)

That's not true, less bends = less resistance. it's just like comparing a dogleg muffler to a straight through (except a dogleg also has a resonating chamber in the middle)

It will help with flow a bit more, but will you notice the difference? Probably not. but in theory not following the factory bends and going for just one bend and having the exhaust hanging laterally, N1 style, is the best for flow. BTW that is why the N1 style developed. But you will now scratch your exhaust on every speed bump on the road, so is it worth it? In my opinion, no. But others may argue

Nervegas
31-10-2004, 01:32 AM
well i've taken my accord in to have it looked at and the guy reckons 2" from the cat. i understand i won't get as much power as from going from the heads all the way back, but is it worth going for 2.25" rather then 2" on a non-vtec f22b?
anywayz, that was just a quote for something like $380 for that but if it's that cheap, it can't be that good

viperx
31-10-2004, 03:56 PM
its certainly not worth going engine-back for a nonvtec f22. besides, the best things headers do usually is optimising high rpm power anyway, which is not the nonvtec f22's forte. i'd go 2.25 press bent. don't waste your money on mandrel bending for ur car, it will make jack all difference in my opinion.

Nervegas
26-11-2004, 05:35 PM
well finally took the leap and had teh 2.25" exhaust and muffler put on my car today. oh how sweet it is. the muffler is superboss (i think it was) with dual 3' flared tips and shes got the exact rumble i've been hoping for. couldn't have asked for more
mmmmmm now whats next on the things to do :D