PDA

View Full Version : Your Daily Commuter

Nax
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Now i know some people only have one bike, and some people have two bikes, so im kinda curious, is it silly to use a litre bike as ur daily? Sure u save on fuel with a smaller bike, but we all like some power, but is it really worth it or should the 1L really just be kept for the weekends?

na-118
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
i'd say 1 litre bikes can also used as dailys, nothing wrong fuels still cheap haha

gumbs
06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I catch the train because I live too close to work to bother riding, but when I did I rode my xt225. If I was riding along way I might consider taking a bigger bike but by the time I got to work the bike was only just getting warm. I don't need the power of a big bike on the way to work and I'd rather ride something I don't care about.

Nax
07-11-2008, 08:06 AM
hmm ya thats what im sorta thinkin, like now my bike is warm maybe 3/4 of the way to work, 1/2 if im stuck in traffic. and also being heavier im wondering about how they go with filtering, quick menauvers and things like that cuz ive heard the bigger bikes can be a pain in the arse for things like that.

Gawdam
07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
lol.. a guy at work rides a hayabusa as his daily commuter, to work most of the time.
however i don't know if it will fall in the same idea as the 1L bikes.
??

typerdevil
07-11-2008, 08:54 PM
seen a bike that is very rare which past through box hill 2 weeks ago, it sounded like a jet engine taking off i think the actual bike was made by BMW i think, it's one of the fastest road bikes too it was white, anyways 1L bikes are excellent for daily'sssss

Henessaayyy
08-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Ride in a low rev range and you should be fine with a 1K, If you think about it, it'll cost you more if you buy a smaller bike for daily commutes (buying the bike.. rego.. ctp etc)

Plus, people turn heads when they see 1k's :P Well... Not sure bout everyone else, but My head turns! :P

gumbs
08-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Ride in a low rev range and you should be fine with a 1K, If you think about it, it'll cost you more if you buy a smaller bike for daily commutes (buying the bike.. rego.. ctp etc)

Dirt bike.....................Litre bike
$2000.......................$10 000
Tyres........................Tyres
$180 a set.................$400 a set
Tyre Life....................Tyre Life
20 000kms..................8 000kms
Fuel ..........................Fuel
3-4L/100km.................8-9L/100km
Rego..........................Rego
180 Pa.......................420 Pa

Cost Per annum if travelling 20 000kms which is only living 5ks from work. (fuel was done at $1.20L)
$1320 $2680

To be fair your going to want a big bike as well so the cost of rego can be removed from that list, but your still nearly a grand up per year if you take a cheap commuter over your big bike once you take into account the extra depreciation of clocking up those ks on your toy and don't forget theres also servicing and chains and sprokets in there as well which add even more to the cost of the 1k.

It doesn't make financial sense to ride a big bike to work, but then again riding a bike never makes financial sense.

Nax
12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
lol u raise a good point my friend, ride for the love of the bike, not for the costs

i think that makes up my mind, 1L it is:D

(s)aint
26-11-2008, 10:36 PM
my daily is a 750, my toy is a 1L..... my other toy is a 250cc... lol
then again in cars im looking at acouple of 5L

Nax
27-11-2008, 09:45 AM
can i have some of your monehs? lol

looks like ima be stuck on my 250 for a while now that im going back to school, oh well could be worse

timizkool
27-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Most bikes that i see parked around the city are rarely 1L's
The majority seem to think its not a good idea if that helps you at all..

I personally would rather park a 2k bike on the streets rather than a 10-15k bike!

It only takes a couple of minutes for someone to toss your bike onto the back of their ute!!