PDA

View Full Version : making my own turbo kit

hyperknight
07-11-2008, 07:27 PM
so ive decided to build up my own kit insted of buying one cause it seems that there is always one or two things that let the whole kit down !! so what i want to know is there a thread on here with a parts list as such or if not can anyone point me in the right direction to find one somewhere else ??? or if anyone is nice enough to type one up for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Lukezen27
07-11-2008, 07:40 PM
so ive decided to build up my own kit insted of buying one cause it seems that there is always one or two things that let the whole kit down !! so what i want to know is there a thread on here with a parts list as such or if not can anyone point me in the right direction to find one somewhere else ??? or if anyone is nice enough to type one up for me it would be greatly appreciated.

My kit didn't let me down at any point.. but knowing what I know now I could built a better kit...

That's only after learning what's what with a complete kit.

Few question

1. What motor?
2. Power gain your after?
3. What's your budget?
4. Boost legal or Track?

hyperknight
07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
jdm b16a stock (exept catback) with about 140k
nothing to much just... MORE (enough to poke fun at a few local morons :) )
no real "budget" as such but as we all know the cheaper the better without sacrificing
definately legal its my D/D !!

Lukezen27
07-11-2008, 08:05 PM
jdm b16a stock (exept catback) with about 140k
nothing to much just... MORE (enough to poke fun at a few local morons :) )
no real "budget" as such but as we all know the cheaper the better without sacrificing
definately legal its my D/D !!

Good man

Legal is the way too go :thumbsup:

Well you need a budget to got with your power goals... or you can end up spending $$$$$$$$$ on miss matched but very costly top quality parts..

Boosted anything before?

hyperknight
07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
nope this is the first time i've really done anything performance wise, before it was all looks and sound. so far i have buddy club n+ coilovers with camber adjust front and rear. and a 2 1/4 catback with x-force twinloop muffler. ive been reading as much as i can and looking at other ppls setups and as far as i have gotten is that i want it setup for maximum torque not top end power (cant go too fast these days so i may as well get there as quick as i can). as for budget what i basicly want do is i want to get a list of exactly what i want(as you said...what matches) and then i'll start buying those parts at the best price i can find), once ive accumulated everything i need i'll start bolting it together.

hyperknight
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
a fair few ppl have suggested to others that a t3 super60 is good ??? and i have found a s/s log manifold made for a gt35 flange(pretty sure there a t3?) thats of an ex show car for a good price

Lukezen27
07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
a fair few ppl have suggested to others that a t3 super60 is good ??? and i have found a s/s log manifold made for a gt35 flange(pretty sure there a t3?) thats of an ex show car for a good price

OK
Limbo built his kit by accumulating parts here & there on his B16A
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83175

Used a log manifold also, not the best for power but won't every break!!

Your exhaust is too small, I had the exact same setup as you and I'm only on a Boost SOHC motor..

2.5" or 3" mandrel piping with high flow cat and good quality hight flow muffler...

Very fist thing I'd do... wish I'd changed that first, would have saved me heaps..

Limbo
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
GT35 is abit big for a b16
If you were building a drag car then yeah go for it.
If you want everyday drivablity then get something like a T28r-T2871

egturbo
09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
t28r will be perfect for street use, if you want torque i would maye even consider looking into maybe a cam or maybe a smaller turbo again, however in regards to ecu etc etc i would stick with the hondata s100 for what you are planning, and also upgrade your fuel syetem (pump and injecters). good luck man

xntrik
10-11-2008, 06:02 AM
is this trial and error, or experienced fabricator / researcher?

Limbo
10-11-2008, 08:19 AM
for a b series nothing smaller than a t28.
on a t28 you should make about 150-170kw depending on how much boost & which T28 you get.

ECu hondata s100 is a basic unit. usually you want at least a s200 for some of the extras like launch control, especially on a boosted car.
Other option is PFC, Plug & Play

have a read of this thread also. its gives good step-by-step instructions
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Its a different B series but the funamentals are all the same

First thing to work out is what you want, how much power (how many kws), how you want your power (drivable or drag).

Then work out your budget. Always leave $1k or so spare, as something always comes up.

Limbo
10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
btw there are a few things i would recommend not to go cheap on
1) Turbo - get a good one, usually a new garrett if you can afford it
2) ECU & tuning - make sure you have a tuner ready and knows hondas & your ECU you are picking.
3) manifold. either a cast log (cheaper) or get a reputable ram horn (expensive). No Stainles steel Ebay crap, otherwise you will regret it. Also make sure if you want A/C & P/S you get the right manifold
4) Injectors - at least 440cc and don't forget the clips
5) Fuel pump - Walbro (not much other choices on this one)

Other stuff is not too critical, but you get what you pay for, just rem that

ECU-MAN
10-11-2008, 09:30 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20293

iced
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
unless you plan to build the motor then t28 series turbo is good for ya.
2nd hand journal bearing t28 or nissan bb t28 will be cost effective.
id stay away from the china copy turbo.
if you come across a garrett gt series turbo then score. gt25r gt28r series 2bb turbos will last the distance.

cast log manifold is ok for low boost setup. if you pushing around 10psi its fine.

other than that whatever Limbo said.

what does add up where you may not expect is fittings, oil feed line, oil return, coolant lines, modifying sump for oil return. oil feed source. in this day and age there no need to use a T piece off the block at your OE oil pressure switch. Use a sandwhich plate and call it a day. 1/8 npt to -3an fitting then run the oil feed to the turbo.

Limbo
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
lol, i spent over $600 in fittings when i put the stupid thing together!

iced
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
faaar $600!!!
i probably spent around $250
all speedflow fittings and gates hose.
the only line that is braided is the oil feed. the rest are reinforced gates rubber since theres no real need for braided in those applications.

Lukezen27
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
lol, i spent over $600 in fittings when i put the stupid thing together!

Dang Limbo heheh

FastFwd
19-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Dude for street use deff get a t28 or even better as others have said gt28rs or 2871r etc etc. 28's are great for road use. I went from a t04e turbo and downgraded to my gt28rs and i love it. Spools much quicker and alot nicer to drive where the t04e spooled to late where it wasnt necessary for road use.

First off i purchased a complete kit and then i built my own and i wish i built my own from the beginning because it was much cheaper and i got exactly what i wanted out it.

A-man
21-12-2008, 06:34 PM
i think a kit is a good way to learn and work out what u want. do some research on ur manifold unless u wana modify what ur doing... especially if u get a ebay one there cheap, have most the parts and give u a benchmark to work on.. they come with different manifolds and different aftermarket parts say a catch can, gate, pipes, dumps, oil fittings, oil lines, etc. these all save money and it doesnt matter what there like.. if its ur first boosted car its pretty staight forward

no bs about cheap shitty turbos, manifolds etc. its a start and it got me on the rd.

as for injectors those rc engineering clips u can just cut the tag on the inside and u can save urself buying clips. they still work and they hold on like stock...

i work with hydraulics so my fittings were free lol:p