PDA

View Full Version : replacement aftermarket key??

be3p69
07-11-2008, 07:37 PM
heyy guys when i bought my ek the owner only had one OEM key so i went to get one cut and it fits through the locks and everything but the car wont start up? the alternator light appears when i use the aftermarket key but the original theres no problems at all soo anyone can you please help me :D

<sloth>
07-11-2008, 09:14 PM
i had key problems a while ago man,
nothing like that...
i went to an auto key cutting place and for about 2 hrs work of mucking around i got 2new keys for $17.
my advice is sorce one and go from there.

be3p69
07-11-2008, 09:31 PM
yeah ive tried 3 different stores and 3 different types of keys and it still wont work :( maybe i just gotta look around u supose =\

Chris S15
08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
I think the EK's came with stock immobilisers. Your OEM key will have a chip in it that is recognised by the factory security system. If you just copy the key it will open everything, but it will not start the car. Because the chip is missing.

Take it to Mr Mint or a professional key cutting place. Where they will actually copy the key and copy the chip information to a new key aswell. i was in the same situation and that's how i got a spare key now. all keys work. all fine. Cost about $100.

vinnY
08-11-2008, 01:08 AM
tried ordering one of these (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16678) and getting someone local to program/cut the key? was gonna order a few but been lazy heh

be3p69
08-11-2008, 11:58 AM
awww thankks guys!!! gunna go mr mint today and thanks vinny im looking into that

ECU-MAN
10-11-2008, 08:13 AM
tried ordering one of these (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16678) and getting someone local to program/cut the key? was gonna order a few but been lazy heh

he can only program one of those keys at a Honda dealer if he has his Red key. sounds like he doesnt have it.

as mentioned above you best be is mr minit key copy.

as a last resort I can program keys in with out the red key, then you can use the genuine honda keys..

be3p69
10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
aww sweet thanks for the info guys!! and would anyone know the closest mr mint i live in fairfield