PDA

View Full Version : Sound System

Geoffy
09-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey... I'm thinking of adding 1 - 2 Subs, powered by an amp onto the exsisting stock sound system of my Jazz through a converter... Anyone know if it achieves good bass effects as I have conclueded that the standard systems has little to no bass at all...

Any recommended brands???

I heard Rockfords, JL's are good??? MTX, Kickers??? anyone if there good???

TypeG
09-10-2004, 10:35 PM
just dun borther to do until u get yr headunit change first
nth u will get using the stock HU

Jus-10
10-10-2004, 11:42 AM
I actually think the standard system achieves quite reasonable bass/sound for what is a system built on a budget.

What you have suggested will work for sure, but whether it achieves "good bass effects" is anyone's guess. Of course it is going to add more bass than what the standard speakers can offer, but will it be good? It all depends on what your expectations are.

If all you want is a bit of extra kick on a budget and aren't going to be replacing the factory speakers. I would probably only be looking at a single 10" in a sealed box - anything else and you are going to overpower the rest of the system. I would go a JL (but then I'm biased). I would then wire a capacitor in the positive line of all the factory speakers to filter out all heavy bass notes (your car audio shop will be able to tell you the correct resistance the cap should be).

The problem with line level converters is that they tend to induce engine noise (whining noise through the speakers). They aren't so much of a problem when using them for a sub, but if you plan on running your other speakers off an amp through the factory headunit, then I wouldn't bother. Just make sure you get a quality converter.

Geoffy
10-10-2004, 08:40 PM
K00l... Thanks for the feedback...

rokkuchan
11-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Hey, just to let you know I use to have high level to RCA converter.
The brand was Stinger and it set me back about 60buks for one! I can't remember the model number tho.
But it DID A GREAT JOB!! There was absolutely no engine noise or any hissing noise at all! HEAR NOTHING BUT BASSS!!!
I hook it up to a 6 channel JBL GTO series amp and 2xJBL GTO 12" subs. It was rockin'! but i got sick of subs and sold it last year.

Just to let ya know it works quite well with that Stinger high level 2 RCA. Should try that out.

Kit
11-10-2004, 12:55 PM
As said before, i also think the best thing to do first is update your HU, and then speakers.

I changed the front speakers in our jazz and it was a huge difference in sound quality. But i feel the headunit is still letting the speakers down.
honestly the stock speakers are pretty crap.

It takes a bit of effort to change the front speakers... check out my HOW TO that I wrote up on how to change the fronts.

I'm waiting for the Double DIN conversion to arrive, and then I'm going to change the HU.

I don't think the stock HU has any RCA pre outs. and even if it did, I would be pretty sure it wouldn't have a non fading out... meaning you'll have to run it off the rear outputs and it will fade according to how you adjust your fade.

Geoffy
11-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey, just to let you know I use to have high level to RCA converter.
The brand was Stinger and it set me back about 60buks for one! I can't remember the model number tho.
But it DID A GREAT JOB!! There was absolutely no engine noise or any hissing noise at all! HEAR NOTHING BUT BASSS!!!
I hook it up to a 6 channel JBL GTO series amp and 2xJBL GTO 12" subs. It was rockin'! but i got sick of subs and sold it last year.

Just to let ya know it works quite well with that Stinger high level 2 RCA. Should try that out.

How much did you spend on it???

rokkuchan
11-10-2004, 08:40 PM
How much did i spend on it? Are you asking everything or just the converter?
and in response to Kit, i did change my speakers too. The stock HU was a bit underpower for the speakers i had but it was still good overall.

anyway, here's the list and price i spent on:

2 x pair of Alpine Type S. cost $200
1 x Stinger High Level to RCA converter ~$60
my JBL GTO 6000 series amp $550
2 x jBL GTO 12" subs about $300 (I think these are cheapies subs)
after all it is "Junk But Loud" :D

Does that answer ur question geof?

rokkuchan
11-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey, just wondering, for those who changed their stock speakers, did you guys do a lot of mod like making a bracket and such to fit the speakers on??

I didn't have to do that. I used the existing speakers to mount my new speakers. How? You know how the stock speakers are one whole thing in a bracket and u can't actually take the speaker itself out?

This is what i did; Took out the speakers, ripped out all the magnet and excessive plastic at the back. The material used was ABS so it was strong enough to screw on a speaker. It fits PERFECTLY my alpine SPS-130A 5 1/4" speakers. NO REAL MODS TO IT but just breaking the stock speakers that's it.

I will get some pictures if I'm ever bothered to ripped out my door again...sorry for my bad description if you dont understand it.

Just to let those people know who hasn't done their speakers yet.

J-MuN
11-10-2004, 09:27 PM
dude, change your headunit first man...dont be wasting money on converters and shit like that...get your headunit then start on some splits and coaxials for the rear...then move towards getting a 4 channel amp and ONE sub will do in a jazz man...hatchies go F**kin LOUD!! trust me...used to have one.. JL Audio is real SQ shit.. MTX and others base their products on SPL stuff so when it comes to SQ, not quite there... a 12 inch JL W3v2 or even a 12WO4 will do man...

TypeG
11-10-2004, 09:31 PM
for speakers
i manage to change all speakers using the brackets which u can get in JB. It set me back like $40 and all u need is a drill and u can finish it within 15 mins if u know what u are doing

Jus-10
11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
If all he wants to do is add some bass, he does not need to go upgrading the head unit and everything. Yeah it would be best, but he doesn't have to. Perhaps he likes the factory look (always good for security reasons). A quality line level converter will do the trick and meets his needs nicely and relatively inexpensively

I think it's a bit unfair to say it's a waste to even bother adding a sub without doing everything else. Maybe to you, but everyone's requirements are different.

The biggest problem with factory systems is not the headunits, it is the quality of the speakers. That is the first place you should start to upgrade if you are really serious about doing anything.

Think about it like this. You need to spend $90 on a new console panel, then you need about $400-$500 for a decent headunit (there's no point changing your headunit and buying a $200 CD special). For that sort of money, you can add a sub to the factory system.

All I am saying is that you can spend $500 on a new deck and get minimal gains, or you can spend $500 and add a sub and get noticeable gains. Either way you can use it as a base to build upon, but if all you want is bass upfront, then the answer is obvious to me based on Geoffy's original question.

Geoffy, I think you might need to give us a few more details on what you want to achieve out of your system and your budget. Like most things, your budget wil play a huge part in what you end up doing.

If you are serious and are only looking for a simple upgrade, I might have a Rockford amp that I could do a good deal on - It is enough to run an entry level 10" or 12" sub without any problems.

Geoffy
11-10-2004, 10:09 PM
I want some extra bass to my current stock system... That's it...

So basically all i wanted was a sub and all the essentials to make it work...

So yeah my budget is 6 - 1000

J-MuN
11-10-2004, 10:18 PM
The biggest problem with factory systems is not the headunits, it is the quality of the speakers. That is the first place you should start to upgrade if you are really serious about doing anything.(there's no point changing your headunit and buying a $200 CD special). For that sort of money, you can add a sub to the factory system.

true that the factory speakers are crap...but adding converters to be able to add on a sub to be runned off the factory headunit means a cheap solution but you must compensate the quality of the sound.. factory head units are terrible to be running subs off them.. but dude, these are many suggestions so whicheva sounds good, go ahead with them :thumbsup:

J-MuN
11-10-2004, 10:21 PM
for speakers
i manage to change all speakers using the brackets which u can get in JB. It set me back like $40 and all u need is a drill and u can finish it within 15 mins if u know what u are doing

need anything from JB come to me! ;) JB chaddy car sound dude :thumbsup:

TypeG
11-10-2004, 10:47 PM
u work in chadstone JB?

J-MuN
11-10-2004, 10:55 PM
u work in chadstone JB?
yups

Jus-10
12-10-2004, 08:53 AM
The converter isn't going to have that much of an adverse effect when running just the sub. The biggest problem with line level converters is that you can get engine noise (high pitch noise). This will not get to the sub (generally - depends on how bad the engine noise is). At the same time, it's not like he will be running Class D mono block amps for the sub that will require at least a 4volt pre-out from the source unit.

I have done it plenty of times (I used to work in one of Sydney's prominant car audio shops) on both customer cars and friends cars and it has worked without a hitch.

Geoffy your budget sounds pretty reasonable. I would go a JL 12W0 (are they about $250 these days?) a box for say $150 (try and get a custom box if you can - don't get a prefab job). Converter for $60. Wiring, etc, for about $100. then you just need to sort out an amp for it....

I would probably try Doran. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

TypeG
12-10-2004, 12:02 PM
oh so bad i just got 4 speakers from JB last mth and i am not quite happy with the price since not much neg he can do there.........

civiceg9
13-10-2004, 02:31 AM
need anything from JB come to me! ;) JB chaddy car sound dude :thumbsup:

time for a new stereo :D
which one is u hehe :cool:

toE
13-10-2004, 02:51 AM
I feel this is more audio related.

*moved*

Geoffy
13-10-2004, 08:01 AM
I would probably try Doran. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Where are they based??? Got a number???

rAySiR
13-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Geoff, if you want to do soundsystem, jus talk to James...

but whats your plans anyways, like what have you decieded on?

EL_DC5
05-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Where can i Get the new housing for a new head unit for the JAZZ

a1086528
05-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Where can i Get the new housing for a new head unit for the JAZZ

I think most people get it from vividjazz, here is the link
http://www.ausjazz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299