PDA

View Full Version : NSW resident wanting VIC plates

PANJAB
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey guys, my vehicle is registered in NSW, as you know for a personalised plate here it is $400 annual fee, however Victoria is a one off $395, so i would like to get a victorian numberplate, but how can i register it there? got cousins there, I checked teh FAQ under vicplates

"Do I need to be a resident of Victoria to purchase your number plates?
No. Owning personalised plates gives you the 'right to display' that particular combination on a Victorian registered vehicle. Obviously, if you dont register your vehicle in the state of Victoria, you cannot display the plates on a vehicle. However, many people purchase numerous sets of plates without ever attaching them to a vehicle. Currently only Victorian license holders can order VicRoads Custom Plates online. If you live outside Victoria or do not have a Victorian drivers licence, please call 1300 660 417 to order your customised number plates." so anyone from NSW been there done that?? if so can you please provide some advice..
Thanks in advance!!:thumbsup:

yourfather
09-11-2008, 09:49 AM
u gotta move here or alternatively you gotta register your car in victoria and get someone to forward u the rego sticker in nsw

bennjamin
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
so you want to register your car somewhere in VIC to save some cash ? Last i checked that illegal.

PANJAB
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
thanks buddy, but will i need to provide proof of residency in Victoria??? as thats the hard part, i'v got no problems in driving down there and registering the car and driving back, just the main concern is with all the nitty gritty loop holes, such as residency...

u gotta move here or alternatively you gotta register your car in victoria and get someone to forward u the rego sticker in nsw

PANJAB
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Well according to VIC ROADS, "No. Owning personalised plates gives you the “right to display” that particular combination on a Victorian registered vehicle. Obviously, if you don’t register your vehicle in the state of Victoria, you cannot display the plates on a vehicle. However, many people purchase numerous sets of plates without ever attaching them to a vehicle. If you live outside Victoria or do not have a Victorian drivers licence, please call 1300 660 417 to order your customised number plates."
thats why i asked, anyway I will call them tommorow, as i've seen heaps of VIC custom plates in NSW, so i'm not alone...

so you want to register your car somewhere in VIC to save some cash ? Last i checked that illegal.

aaronng
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
In order for you to display VIC plates, your car must be VIC registered. There is nothing stopping you from buying VIC plates, but in order to display VIC plates, your car must be VIC registered to a VIC address.

bennjamin
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
you cant display them on a car , only on your wall at home or whatever. I dont see the point. But hey i guess you CAN infact do it. Just dont use them on an actual car.

aaronng
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
thanks buddy, but will i need to provide proof of residency in Victoria??? as thats the hard part, i'v got no problems in driving down there and registering the car and driving back, just the main concern is with all the nitty gritty loop holes, such as residency...
The only loophole is if your family is living in VIC and you are up here. If the car is under your parents name, then they can register and renew registration, while you drive your car up here.

aaronng
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM

If you are a genuine person who moved from VIC to NSW, you can use the VIC rego all the way until it expires, even if you had just renewed it in VIC the day before and then live in NSW for the remaining 364 days. It is the license that has to be converted to NSW from VIC after 30 (or was it 60?) days of moving here.

PANJAB
09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
ok thanks for the advice, got some thinking to do now.. ;) i've got some cousins there so work some sh*t around there, also in NSW now you no longer need to go to RTA for pink slip, the mechanic sends it online, is it the same case in VIC?? it will save me the hassle every year of driving up, instead just do it online??
Just to add onto that, lolz, does anyone know the fees of custom plates in ACT???
As i just want to get hold of some plate, $400+ annualy in NSW is a bit too much for me...
Cheers

aaronng
09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
ok thanks for the advice, got some thinking to do now.. ;) i've got some cousins there so work some sh*t around there, also in NSW now you no longer need to go to RTA for pink slip, the mechanic sends it online, is it the same case in VIC?? it will save me the hassle every year of driving up, instead just do it online??
Cheers
There is no pink slip in VIC. But you do have to get a RWC, which is like a blue slip in order to register in VIC. So you must drive your car down.

BTW, eventhough you have family in VIC, the cops in NSW can still get you for driving a VIC car in NSW if they realise that you are a resident of NSW BEFORE you were issued the VIC registration. Telling them that you just moved from VIC to NSW won't work either because your license will have the issue date in the police database.

PANJAB
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
:( soo much trouble.... i consider not worth the hassle, only if NSW had some decent one off fee......:| mite just buy em and store em..
thanks...

There is no pink slip in VIC. But you do have to get a RWC, which is like a blue slip in order to register in VIC. So you must drive your car down.

BTW, eventhough you have family in VIC, the cops in NSW can still get you for driving a VIC car in NSW if they realise that you are a resident of NSW BEFORE you were issued the VIC registration. Telling them that you just moved from VIC to NSW won't work either because your license will have the issue date in the police database.