PDA

View Full Version : Time for EuroR front I guess

integral90
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Since day one of driving the Euro I've said the handbrake is a very weak component on the car. The cable stretches too easily and even when it's tightened there's still no grip. I dunno if this is just mine or Euros in general, but I find it terrible. I've been trying to think of alternative cables that might be swappable with the Euro from a heavier car like the normal Accord, but I've never got around to actually doing it.

This morning I got up at 4:45am to drive dad to the airport and when I got home I backed the car up our steep-ish driveway like I do numerous times every day. I put the handbrake on and leave it in reverse and turn the car off, just like I do every single day. I get back into bed and try to get some sleep before I have to get up and after about 10-15 minutes I hear a loud smashing and crumpling sound. I get out of bed and walk into the kitchen and mum is at the front window freaking out, so I run outside and the car's rolled down our driveway into a thick wooden power pole. I quickly reverse it back in and check the damage. It looked a lot worse this morning than in the pictures as I took off the front bar and beat out the fender a bit, realigned some of the hangers/brackets and did a bit of medium cut polishing.

The only conclusion I can come to is that reverse gear wasn't 100% engaged and as the brakes cooled down and the handbrake started slipping it jumped out of reverse (as the car was in neutral when it was sitting at the pole) and rolled the whole way, probably hitting the pole at about 10-15km/h. Final damage is: ruined driver side headlight including the bracket that sits below it, deeply cut front bar + grille is kind of unaligned now, collapsed fender, badly unaligned drivers side front wheel.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/234/dsc0118smallbi6.jpg

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/8541/dsc0119smallvy6.jpg

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/6656/dsc0120smallid4.jpg

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4889/dsc0121smallao0.jpg
(steering wheel perfectly straight)

On the bright side, EuroR front here I come :)

viper8548
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Sad to hear this, but why dont you park with the gear in P? How can u start the car without the gear in P? (Doesn't start without being in P on both my parents Toyotas)

Crapdaz
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
damn mate i'd be spewing and yes your right the euro handbrake sux especially on hill slopes.

I never dare parking on slanted streets.

and it was like only yesterday i saw your car at the meet. ='(

Sad to hear this, but why dont you park with the gear in P? How can u start the car without the gear in P? (Doesn't start without being in P on both my parents Toyotas)
cause it's manual.

JunYu
11-11-2008, 02:30 PM
same thing happened to me, I parked on a slight hill at hungry jacks, came out and it was in the bushes :\.

So is this an insurance job? Where will you be getting your euror lip?

aaronng
11-11-2008, 02:30 PM
OUCH!!!! Looks like a new fender and headlight. The bumper can still be resprayed. Keep the headlight as it will be useful to sell the projector for ppl wanting to do HID conversions.

Chris_F
11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I always park my car on hills and have never had this problem. I have noticed that the euro handbrake has a lot more travel then some cars (i.e. mazda 6). So you gotta pull the handbreak right up to reach the maximum position.

Was the handbreak still all the way up when you arrived at the car?

Crapdaz
11-11-2008, 02:45 PM
i remember i parked on a slight elevation at kfc and my car was in the top spot then when i came back it was in the spot behind. =p lucky there wasn't a car behind me.

aaronng
11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
On any slope, I have the handbrake up all the way and the car put into 1st or reverse. Even that is not enough to stop it from rolling down my gf's driveway if the brakes are warm from the drive.

Euro08Jaz
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
i have the problem i park my car on a steep incline and have to fully engage handbrake.

Chris_F
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
On any slope, I have the handbrake up all the way and the car put into 1st or reverse. Even that is not enough to stop it from rolling down my gf's driveway if the brakes are warm from the drive.

bloody hell, how steep is the drive way? I wonder if it has anything to do with the brake pads being used?

Looks like I'm going to stop parking on steep slopes for the time being.

power_of_dreams
11-11-2008, 03:34 PM
never had any problems with the handbrake.

SiReal
11-11-2008, 03:45 PM
perhaps it might be time for euro owners to carry wheel choks in case they need to park on a steep hill.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh Snap!

It definately is time to upgrade to EuroR front :)

tony1234
11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I always park my car on hills and have never had this problem. I have noticed that the euro handbrake has a lot more travel then some cars (i.e. mazda 6). So you gotta pull the handbreak right up to reach the maximum position.

Was the handbreak still all the way up when you arrived at the car?
Yeah,i've found the same.If i park on a steep slope facing downwards i turn the front wheels toward the gutter.If i'm facing upwards i do the opposite.

BiLL|z0r
11-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I wanna know why leave it in reverse? Put in Park. The car is parked not in reverse, that's what Park is there for. Car won't start in gear anyway, needs to be in park or neutral.

aaronng
11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
bloody hell, how steep is the drive way? I wonder if it has anything to do with the brake pads being used?

Looks like I'm going to stop parking on steep slopes for the time being.
It is a bloody steep incline. I have tried going up from standstill at the bottom, and I just end up burning the clutch. Now I get some momentum instead and then turn into the driveway up the hill.

I find that if I pull the handbrake up while cold, it's fine. But if I do it while it is hot, the car will slowly slide backwards a few feet over 2-3 minutes with the nice groaning sound, eventhough I have the transmission in 1st gear (i.e., engine rotating the wrong way!)

Crapdaz
11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
It is a bloody steep incline. I have tried going up from standstill at the bottom, and I just end up burning the clutch. Now I get some momentum instead and then turn into the driveway up the hill.

I find that if I pull the handbrake up while cold, it's fine. But if I do it while it is hot, the car will slowly slide backwards a few feet over 2-3 minutes with the nice groaning sound, eventhough I have the transmission in 1st gear (i.e., engine rotating the wrong way!)
Agreed with aaron's experience, it sucks.

integral90
11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I wanna know why leave it in reverse? Put in Park. The car is parked not in reverse, that's what Park is there for. Car won't start in gear anyway, needs to be in park or neutral.

Manual

integral90
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
same thing happened to me, I parked on a slight hill at hungry jacks, came out and it was in the bushes :\.

So is this an insurance job? Where will you be getting your euror lip?

Yeah insurance is gonna pay for it, just gotta get the guy to come and inspect it. I'm hoping we can just tell them we'll cover the extra for the Honda replacement bar and get the 06-08 sports front bar/grille. I think that's the same as EuroR?

viper8548
11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
The Euro-R front bumper is the same as yours right now but with an extra lip kit just order a Sports Lip Kit from the dealers, omg I find it hard to believe the car will roll while parked in gear, better be careful next time.

integral90
11-11-2008, 07:19 PM
The Euro-R front bumper is the same as yours right now but with an extra lip kit just order a Sports Lip Kit from the dealers, omg I find it hard to believe the car will roll while parked in gear, better be careful next time.

Nah the little fins and openings next to the fog lights are different, and then there's the lip. I also want the grille though :)

viper8548
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
The front lip replaces the bumper's fog guards and turns them into fins :P

Suntzu
11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
My handbrake is also very worrying and gets loose easily. Im always careful nowdays...

johnnyofhk
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
lucky it crash at side, not the front.... front fender cost me 700 including paint before~

ndeuro_
11-11-2008, 10:44 PM
how do u take the centre compartment out. i needa tighten my handbrakes for some sideway actions. nah jks but yeah been wondering on how to get to them cables ><

EUR003act
12-11-2008, 05:42 PM

lol at the amount of people not thinking he might have a manual?

(yes i know he has manual :p)

really sorry to hear about that buddy! :( and your car was looking so good on sunday!

my handbrake has never been an issue... but as people say, euro handbrake does need like 7-9 clicks to be tight unlike some other cars which only use 3-4...

Crapdaz
13-11-2008, 06:20 AM
lol at the amount of people not thinking he might have a manual?

(yes i know he has manual :p)

really sorry to hear about that buddy! :( and your car was looking so good on sunday!

my handbrake has never been an issue... but as people say, euro handbrake does need like 7-9 clicks to be tight unlike some other cars which only use 3-4...
yeh justin, even then it doesn't hold when i am on a hillclimb at a traffic light. :(

EUR003act
13-11-2008, 06:24 AM
yeh justin, even then it doesn't hold when i am on a hillclimb at a traffic light. :(

thats bad! :O

i always make sure mine is nice and tight when parking on slopes... my driveway is prob a 20-25% slope... but its never rolled down... touch wood!

Crapdaz
13-11-2008, 06:28 AM
thats bad! :O

i always make sure mine is nice and tight when parking on slopes... my driveway is prob a 20-25% slope... but its never rolled down... touch wood!
hahah yeh depending on the day/temperature, how long i've used the brakes for and driving, and the slope elevation.

If it is more than say 30-35 i think then my car doesn't hold very well.

Mainly i think i need to bleed my brakes, been too lazy.

What is a recommended brake fluid ? or stick with honda? :p

tim-e
13-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Damn. Lucky the pole was there to stop the car! When I was a kid our neighbour had a car parked on the verge, the handbrake went and the car rolled out onto the road and was collected by a passing bus. I'm paranoid about checking my handbrake.

ndeuro_
13-11-2008, 06:43 PM
well if ur on a slope n next to the kerb. then rotate ur wheel so it hits the kerb then it wont roll down

Blitzen
20-11-2008, 03:41 PM
so I run outside and the car's rolled down our driveway into a thick wooden power pole

dude how's the repairs going? I thought u were familiar in the area, ur lucky the roads infront of ur place is relatively flat and cars not traveling fast at all, orelse they'll t-bone it...

now quit cutting me off on a double marked line while getting out of your driveway :p

integral90
20-11-2008, 06:44 PM
LOL, you live in LC?? What colour is your euro??

Car should be done Wednesday :)

Blitzen
20-11-2008, 09:46 PM
yeah man, mine's metallic grey with the sport's rims, I live further down the road from the lights, recognise this background? lol

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97018

thought I recognise your car cause not much owners out there took up the factory optional rims, and have a huge OzHonda sticker spotted when u cut me off and vtec'd it up the hill (so I thought... bloody OzHonda members) :p

Crapdaz
20-11-2008, 09:49 PM
rofl yeh dam OH members!!

sports wheels are too small, but they are the best look wheels that came with the euro.

xsite85
21-11-2008, 04:55 PM
i purchased my euro in may 08, one thursday night (end of July) out at the clubs... i parked my car, right in front VIP style.. my mates ran the place so they were watching outside...

My car was parked in a forward slope about 10 - 15 degree's... My handbrake is up about half way like normally firm lock as usual. about 10 mins later, My mates heard a "bang" coming from my car and my car started rolling towards a jaguar (2m apart). By the time i came out my new euro was kissing the jaguars rear bumper.

Minor damages like scratches were spotted on my front bumper... that night cost me $200 without going through insurance

just remember kids on slopes remember to pull handbrakes all the way up & 1st or rev gear, just to be safe

Pete

power_of_dreams
21-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't understand why people don't pull their handbrakes all the way up. Do they forget?

xsite85
22-11-2008, 08:05 PM
most of us are drink drivers

*raises hand*

integral90
22-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't understand why people don't pull their handbrakes all the way up. Do they forget?

My point is that the handbrake is faulty, atleast on mine. It won't hold the car still on most hills no matter how tight you pull it.

Crapdaz
22-11-2008, 11:26 PM
lol pete, did you chuck into 1st or left it there in N?

and did you pull handbrake up 8clicks until it stops or just lightly couple of clicks?

learn from your mistakes terrible it had to be a Jag.

integral90
09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
So I got the car back today :D

Everything looks good, nice and straight!

Turns out when the car his the pole the wheel wasn't just pushed out of alignment, but the whole suspension bar the shock and spring was ruined and needed replacement. After that was ordered and installed the ABS light wouldn't go off, so they got a guy from Honda to do a complete ecu reset and the problem was still there, they found it to be a broken wheel-speed sensor. So that was another few days in transit and install but it's all done now :wave:

So glad to have her back

ndeuro_
09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
i purchased my euro in may 08, one thursday night (end of July) out at the clubs... i parked my car, right in front VIP style.. my mates ran the place so they were watching outside...

My car was parked in a forward slope about 10 - 15 degree's... My handbrake is up about half way like normally firm lock as usual. about 10 mins later, My mates heard a "bang" coming from my car and my car started rolling towards a jaguar (2m apart). By the time i came out my new euro was kissing the jaguars rear bumper.

Minor damages like scratches were spotted on my front bumper... that night cost me $200 without going through insurance

just remember kids on slopes remember to pull handbrakes all the way up & 1st or rev gear, just to be safe

Pete

and rotate your wheel so it hit the kerb =] apparently in california if u park on a slope and u dont do that u get a fine ==

Crapdaz
09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
and rotate your wheel so it hit the kerb =] apparently in california if u park on a slope and u dont do that u get a fine ==
can you imagine you rotate the wheels to hit the kerb and the first thing if it does roll crack goes your front bar.... sigh....

ndeuro_
09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
i dnt think uve done it before...