PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Blackout while driving...

tpphan
12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Driving to work this morning, the dashboard, audio unit, electronics powered off for a second or two then returned to normal.

All the gauges (speedo, tacho, fuel, temp) went off but engine remained normal as far as i can tell.

Any ideas?

aaronng
12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
So the speedo and tacho are not moving at all? Or is it just the lighting of the needles that have gone off? Check your instrument cluster fuse.

tpphan
12-11-2008, 09:29 AM
So the speedo and tacho are not moving at all? Or is it just the lighting of the needles that have gone off? Check your instrument cluster fuse.

All went off including lights. The needles started to go to there off position. lol. Scary! Then a second later it all came alive again.

Crapdaz
12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
All went off including lights. The needles started to go to there off position. lol. Scary! Then a second later it all came alive again.

use multimeter and check your wiring around your tachos/gauges for shortcircuits.

tpphan
12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
use multimeter and check your wiring around your tachos/gauges for shortcircuits.

It wasn't just the gauges though, the cig lighter went off as well, was charging my phone at the time. Isn’t the dash cluster and the accessories on different fuses? So a short on the cluster shouldn’t affect the cig/audio, etc? Could be wrong… lol

Crapdaz
12-11-2008, 10:24 AM
It wasn't just the gauges though, the cig lighter went off as well, was charging my phone at the time. Isn’t the dash cluster and the accessories on different fuses? So a short on the cluster shouldn’t affect the cig/audio, etc? Could be wrong… lol
checked your earthing ?

tpphan
12-11-2008, 10:25 AM
checked your earthing ?

Yeah, earthing is all good. Seems very strange. haha

aaronng
12-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Check the fuses, because if you had a surge, some fuses might be blown, while others are ok.

Crapdaz
12-11-2008, 10:59 AM
What battery are you running tpphan?

D R U
12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
He's got an optima yellow top.

This happened to me when i was trialling my new battery terminals, i forgot for tighten the original terminals back on *smacks self in the head*

So when the terminal finally came off, all my electrics turned turned off but the car was still running.

When the terminal touched the the battery again electronics came back on, this happened 3 times on the way home, i knew what it was straight away.

But i still had to make it home to secure the terminal cause all my tools were at home.

Once secured everything was back to normal, checked all fuses, nothing blown.

tpphan
12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
If the fuses were blown, shouldn't everything remain off?

Crapdaz
12-11-2008, 12:20 PM
If the fuses were blown, shouldn't everything remain off?
not all fuses would blow though, due to tolerance.

tpphan
12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
not all fuses would blow though, due to tolerance.

For example, if my dash fuses or accessorie fuse was blown, they would remain off. But in this case it was a 1 or 2 second thing... Unless if a fuses is blown there is a backup? lol.

Crapdaz
12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
For example, if my dash fuses or accessorie fuse was blown, they would remain off. But in this case it was a 1 or 2 second thing... Unless if a fuses is blown there is a backup? lol.
what i meant was if they were on different circuits.

Then have you checked your connection between your battery? :p

tpphan
12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
what i meant was if they were on different circuits.

Then have you checked your connection between your battery? :p

Yeah ive checked that, but will double check when i get home. :)

aaronng
12-11-2008, 02:03 PM

So everything is working fine now? All the dash lights are working? Then yeah, like the others said, check the positive and negative terminals for tightness and corrosion.

Atjo
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm using optima as well and it happened to me last time. The cause was my battery was loose.

tpphan
12-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Cools. I'll double check them tonight.

tony1234
12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
So everything is working fine now? All the dash lights are working? Then yeah, like the others said, check the positive and negative terminals for tightness and corrosion.
Agreed.I'll bet it's a loose or corroded battery terminal/s

tpphan
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Everything seems fine cable wise.

The negative terminal on the batt does seem a little loose than normal, could be a fault with the batt. If i hold the terminal i can knock it back and forth, probably around 0.5mm. Haha.

It hasn't happen since, and it was a 1.5 hour drive back home.

Crapdaz
13-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Everything seems fine cable wise.

The negative terminal on the batt does seem a little loose than normal, could be a fault with the batt. If i hold the terminal i can knock it back and forth, probably around 0.5mm. Haha.

It hasn't happen since, and it was a 1.5 hour drive back home.
Just tighten it back up and see how it goes, and try use some anticorrosion cleaner and prevention sprays on it.

tpphan
13-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Just tighten it back up and see how it goes, and try use some anticorrosion cleaner and prevention sprays on it.

Nah, its the actually terminal on the batt that is loose. Can't tighten that.

tony1234
13-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a warranty job.

Crapdaz
13-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Sounds like a warranty job.
AGREED, GET HA TO PAY! :p

shakkas
13-11-2008, 09:33 AM
that would of been scary. luckly nothing serious happened

tpphan
13-11-2008, 09:49 AM
that would of been scary. luckly nothing serious happened

Yeah was a bit freaky. Was like WTF.??? lol. :D

Crapdaz
13-11-2008, 09:59 AM
just curious do u have aftermarket tachos/gauges?

aaronng
13-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Terminal on the battery is loose??? WTF.... if you still have warranty, get it covered as that is not normal wear.

tpphan
13-11-2008, 12:22 PM
just curious do u have aftermarket tachos/gauges?

Nah, all stock inside.

tpphan
13-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Terminal on the battery is loose??? WTF.... if you still have warranty, get it covered as that is not normal wear.

Yeah its not right. I will try simulate it with a mutlimeter tonight to test. Most likely will be return under warranty. lol

learner
19-11-2008, 11:50 PM
re-tight both + - cable on the bettery, i have the same thing happened b4...

killua888
18-05-2009, 02:57 PM
i've just had a similar thing happen. however all my lights for the middle console have gone off and remained off. the tacho is working fine and its only the middle console with the audio control/screen and aircon buttons. just wondering which fuse is responsible for the instrument cluster. I've taken a look at the manual but i can't figure out which one is responsible for the middle. thanks in advance for the help.

xxb4xx
18-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I think it has to do with the mobile charger being faulty and tripping the circuit

traumatized
18-05-2009, 03:25 PM
i've just had a similar thing happen. however all my lights for the middle console have gone off and remained off. the tacho is working fine and its only the middle console with the audio control/screen and aircon buttons. just wondering which fuse is responsible for the instrument cluster. I've taken a look at the manual but i can't figure out which one is responsible for the middle. thanks in advance for the help.

refer to the following thread, it has been a commonish problem for the earlier euro's

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87131&highlight=console+lights

thread above also includes other realted thread about the issue.

to sum it up you will need to replace the entire unit, contact honda australia they may do it out of good will and replace the unit for you

killua888
18-05-2009, 11:13 PM
refer to the following thread, it has been a commonish problem for the earlier euro's

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87131&highlight=console+lights

thread above also includes other realted thread about the issue.

to sum it up you will need to replace the entire unit, contact honda australia they may do it out of good will and replace the unit for you

thanks for the help, i've tried searching before and this was the only thread i found. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.....

now i just have to hope that they'd replace it out of good will, otherwise its quite expensive to fix the whole unit.......things aren't looking good.

also a quick question, has anyone on the forum actually have had the centre unit replaced out of good will??

traumatized
19-05-2009, 09:08 AM
thanks for the help, i've tried searching before and this was the only thread i found. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.....

now i just have to hope that they'd replace it out of good will, otherwise its quite expensive to fix the whole unit.......things aren't looking good.

also a quick question, has anyone on the forum actually have had the centre unit replaced out of good will??

^ if honda australia does not come to the party you should try some wreckers out, the euro is quite common and wreckers should have some units around.