PDA

View Full Version : Tyre selection...help.... ? info on unknown brand...

joneblaze
06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
hey all,

i'm about to get my new rims (Speedy HiRacing in black 15 x 6.5"). i've spoken to Australia's Best, they've quoted me $1190 w/ Falken 326s? As i have NFI idea about rubber i thought i'd ask for some advice. I was keen on getting something nice like a set of Azeni's but he said that'd cost $440 more...which i def. cant pay. I asked for a list of rubber i can upgrade the package to, so ill list them, and perhaps u guys could give ur opinion on the best value for money and performance? im really not looking to add more than $200 to the package, but hey, if the rubber upgrade is really worth it, i might as well do it in one shot now and save some money seeing its packaged. better than spending a heap later at my next rubber changeover.

- Bridgestone Grid IIIs : extra $150
- Goodyear F1s : extra $220
- Falken ST512 : extra $100
- Toyo TPG : extra $200

...i spose i can knock a little off the $1190 quote price too once im there in person, but yeah.... any advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers boys!

j

p.s: has anyone had experience with the Falken 326s? are they decent at all? id really like some decent rubber.... :roll:

AP1 F20c
06-11-2003, 12:27 PM
None Of The Above ... Tyres are like anything else you throw into the car. You get what you pay for. And I seriously wouldn't use any of the tyres listed above, knowing that you go to twisty roads and places alike.

wynode
06-11-2003, 12:32 PM
You might find some information in the Tyre recommendation thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=478&highlight=tyre+thread)

PS: If you have a tyre review, please post in that thread :)

SiR
06-11-2003, 10:57 PM
I would definitely recommend the Bridgestone GIII's. Relatively new tyre (was only introduced onto the market around August last year), Donuts II technology. Grip in abundance, both in dry and wet conditions. It might not be the best tyre for track use cos I've heard the sidewall isn't as strong as something say S03 or RE010, but for a road tyre and occasional use on the track, they're pretty damn good imo.

joneblaze
06-11-2003, 11:42 PM
thanks for the input SiR...much appreciated....
i was thinking maybe something like the GIIIs because ive heard a few good things about their performance in ratio to price, plus its only $150 extra, so that's about near my max budgetwise....
anyone else got a few cents to throw in? :P

dc2r
07-11-2003, 12:33 AM
None Of The Above ... Tyres are like anything else you throw into the car. You get what you pay for. And I seriously wouldn't use any of the tyres listed above, knowing that you go to twisty roads and places alike.

Dude, have you experienced these tyres listed before? I have an ITR and they are sitting on GIII's as we speak. Very good 'bang for your bucks' tyres. Excellent on street. I've heard not so good on track, but how often will you go on track.

You also have to ask yourself what you are going to use your car for, i.e. street, track, etc. I also heard/thought that the Eagle F1's were good tyres? I have no experience but thought they were good. They look cool anyway.

joneblaze
07-11-2003, 12:41 AM
cheers for that dc2r.... ive got eagle F1s on my 17's atm.... dont really have a view on the handling of them as im still getting used to the teg and driving on 17" rims....
Is there only one "GIII" tyre? as in there arent "GII As" , "GII Bs", "GIII blahblahs", etc etc? cos the dude just said "Bridgestone GIII's" over the phone.....
u feel the GIII's handle relatively well in comparison to other brands/models of tyres uve had on ur ITR?

ek004
07-11-2003, 08:53 AM
hey there...

dont skimp on tyres i run g3's and they are a great tyre...

remember tyres save lives... makes no sense to spend good money on awesome rims and bling bling bodykits for 1000+,

get a good set of tyres it may one day save ur life...

i think g3's are a great tyre for the price...
i heard s03's are even better but cost alot more...

anyways good luck in your decision...

and for the record i have not had any probs with my g3's a good street and i empahsise street tyre

dc2r
07-11-2003, 09:01 AM
There is only one type of GIII tyre. Bridgestone Potenza GIII. All the differences are in the size you get :D
But they are the only other tyre I've had on my car since I got it. The other tyre was the OEM RE010 and they were very good. I would probably say they are better than GIII because of the feel in them. But GIII are still good and grip well in dry and wet. Give them a go, unless you want to spend more and get the BS S03.

ek004
07-11-2003, 09:17 AM
i agree with dc2r...

however s03 dont come in 15" tyres(not here anyways) so in reality g3's rea best 15inch tyre offered by bridgestone well that i found...

io read on h-t that kumho ecsta MX are good maybe u wana try them out... well i want someone to so they can give me a review :lol: :oops:

Dave

joneblaze
07-11-2003, 10:59 AM
lol@ dave.... i wont b ur guinea pig... :D
im so new i probably wouldn't know good grip and performance if it took me up the arse... ;)
anyway, the GIII's sound to be the go, and are in my price range... so i might take them for a spin. cheers for the advice fellas.

mo
07-11-2003, 02:34 PM
drive eric's teg and see how it feels!
when will u have ur wheels by mate?

joneblaze
07-11-2003, 03:25 PM
looking at within the next week.... so not in time for sat, but im not fussed. as long as Win brings his cam out sometime and grabs a few shots of the black Speedys :P

wynode
07-11-2003, 03:51 PM
looking at within the next week.... so not in time for sat, but im not fussed. as long as Win brings his cam out sometime and grabs a few shots of the black Speedys :P

Hopefully tomorrow night as long as it doesn't rain!

accordpwr
07-11-2003, 06:02 PM
All the above have about the same grip on dry according to the megazine. I would personally recommend GIII as i have them on now! Grip the best of the lot in wet for that budget!

Civic Si
07-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Why don't u give Continental Sports Contact tyres r go Jon? SO3 r good as well, but expensive as everyone sez.

C how much Australias Best qoutes u on da rims and Continentals and tell me da price.

Wat size do u need Jon for ur 16s and wat's ur budget alone on Tyres? I could get u a good price or mayb cost price if it's a regular size that we sell at my work for da Continentals! :) :wink:

joneblaze
08-11-2003, 03:58 AM
Why don't u give Continental Sports Contact tyres r go Jon? SO3 r good as well, but expensive as everyone sez.

C how much Australias Best qoutes u on da rims and Continentals and tell me da price.

Wat size do u need Jon for ur 16s and wat's ur budget alone on Tyres? I could get u a good price or mayb cost price if it's a regular size that we sell at my work for da Continentals! :) :wink:

Continental Sports Contact huh? much better than GIII's?
i'm getting 15 x 6.5" man.... so 195/something/something. my max. budget for the package is $1300 dude... im povo as.... :roll:

SiR
08-11-2003, 04:47 AM
GIII's are great for its price. It's a really good tyre, especially in wet conditions. No doubt the SO3's are gonna be better - they are the flagship tyre for Bridgestone afterall, but it's really gonna blow a hole in your wallet and a large one at that. And yes, they don't come in 15" - not for Aust. anyway.

I've heard the RE010 is a better overall tyre than the GIII IF you track often. Other than that, I would still say that the GIII's are a little better, taking into account that they are newer tyres with newer technology etc. Price-wise, the GIII's are cheaper too!

If you weren't on such a tight budget, I'd suggest you check out the Pirelli P Zero Nero's. I've never had any experience with them (yet), but my dad has only nice things to say about them. They seem to be working well for his C32 AMG :)

Hope this helps :)

Setanta
08-11-2003, 07:46 AM
I'd suggest any of theses 3:

- Bridgestone Grid IIIs : extra $150
- Goodyear F1s : extra $220
- Falken ST512 : extra $100

I'd include the Falkens because I'm running one spec down from them and for a road wheel they are awesome for their price. Very grippy, fantastic in the wet and after doing a run to Vic and back with them on I'm really happy with the buy as the saved my ass @ some speed > 100km/k in a nasty situation not of my making where I had to brake/turn/brake fast.

How much track time are you going to do? IMO if you aren't focussing on the track then a good semi-expensive set of tyres should do fine for the road - it's a case of diminishing returns. Just don't go cheapies.

Civic Si
08-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Continental Sports Contact huh? much better than GIII's?
i'm getting 15 x 6.5" man.... so 195/something/something. my max. budget for the package is $1300 dude... im povo as.... :roll:

I've neva compared CSC's to GIII's...

Sorry, I can't help u there if ur getting 15" rims cause CSC's aren't available in that size. :(

U'd b probably rolling on 195/50/R15, but Vti-Rs roll on 195/55/R15 from factory.

joneblaze
08-11-2003, 11:41 AM
cheers hanson. np man.... probably be easier jus to get the whole package from Aus. Best anyway. appreciate it :)

thanks pete and SiR.... ill probably just go the GIII's.... they seem to be quite reliable, and i haven't and dont intend to track for awhile yet, so ill just hope they survive on the twisties :)

joneblaze
13-11-2003, 11:08 PM
ok i didn't want to clutter up things by starting another thread, so ill ask my new question here.

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand set of rims as an alternative to new SPeedys. the 2nd hand set im keen on is good as far as rims and price goes. they're 15 x 6.5". however the seller says they come with a brand of rubber called "Triangle". I'm not familiar with this brand, can someone tell me if they have heard/used it? My apologies if they're in fact extremely well known.... :oops: .. The seller tells me these 195/50/15s "Triangle" semi hard compound tyres are up there with Dunlop, etc etc.... i just want some info on these tyres before i go ahead buying these wheels. spose theres no use having nice rims if the rubber is really dodgy....

thanks guys,

jon

SiR
14-11-2003, 12:50 AM
Triangle?!?! Never heard of them mate! :roll:

Redteg
14-11-2003, 06:10 AM
Never ever heard of them Jon. Maybe he means that he's flat-spotted them three times? :D

Um, anyway, if the rims are cheap enough, and you like them, then go for it; you can always swap tyres down the track if need be, and it'll give you time to save. Just drive a little more careful if they turn out to be dodge.

When I got my rims with Nankangs I thought "Great, a shit tyre", but, I think they do better than my Yokohama A509's which I used to pontificate about (the lower profile and increased width of the Nankang's helped too). I pushed them hard in and out of Galston Gorge, and I came out the other end very happy indeed. Being cheap though you lose a few things; for example, they're extrememly noisy.

I ran a search, here's a bit of info:

http://www.omorienter.com/easyauto/tyres/Triangle-Shandong/rad-passenger-car-data.htm

http://www.tdctrade.com/report/indprof/indprof_030701.htm

http://www.indiantyretube.com/chinese/triangle-main.htm
(go to this site for the music! sounds a bit like Rock Around the Clock, good way of selling tyres)

they are made in China, they sell heaps of tyres, they look a tad agricultural. They like selling to India.

civiceg9
02-12-2003, 09:47 AM
You get what you pay for
I have try Nakang on my friends lancer, they are bloody shit and you can't corner with them as then seem to make the car understeer.

With BS G3 get the ones that are made in japan, there is a compound difference between the thailand and jap spec. This goes for Eagle F1 too. The Aus spec F1 don't grip in the wet, probably compound reasons 8)

vti-2
02-12-2003, 10:26 AM
The Eagle F1's are ok, it's just that they are hard compound so if you plan on doing track work or driving in the twisties they aren't the best tyre to use. Soft compound tyres provide heaps of grip but will wear out much much quicker.

vincikwan
26-04-2008, 01:37 AM
I am having bridgestone GIII on my fronts and bridgestone RE010 for my rear. I find that they are heaps better then the eagle f1 i had on my s15.

bungsai
26-04-2008, 03:35 AM
friggen thread from the dead.

Dreams
26-04-2008, 03:54 AM
I am having bridgestone GIII on my fronts and bridgestone RE010 for my rear. I find that they are heaps better then the eagle f1 i had on my s15.

Hell yea!, You're a champ mate! lmao

hui
27-04-2008, 08:12 PM
not sure if you can get grid III now as i been told they are getting replaced by potenza adrenalines... i've been rolling on these for yrs now, priced at 160.00 each for 205/50/15. its relatively cheap. its very predictable tyre, not so good in the wet though.