PDA

View Full Version : Highend Tri-Y vs Hytech replica Tri-Y

NSPYRE
12-11-2008, 03:32 PM
hey guys,

had a search but couldnt find a definitive response soo...

the great header decision begins.

Highend Tri-Y

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z308/maxjha/Picture298Small.jpg

Vs.

Hytech replica

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/trinijae/DSC07368.jpg

thoughts or 1st hand experience is appreciated :thumbsup:

rbk_212
12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
sorry to ask a n00b question but is tri-y a particular design of extractor or is it a model of extractor from a manufacturer?

ZeForce
12-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I have also been interested to see how they match up against each other powerwise. I have hytech style on my B20VTEC and it makes good power however the ground clearance is pretty shit as the bottom two primarys hang lower than the sump. I have already scraped them pretty bad and worried if I lower my car I may end up denting them as well . Also, FYI the highend style is a copy of the SMSP header which are suppose to make similar power to the hytech design.

aaronng
12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Something about mixing cylinders 1 and 2 together just doesn't seem right.

Heck, even the Hytech doesn't add up when you count the 1-3-4-2 firing order.

NSPYRE
12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
cheers, thanks for that. would the SMSP style have better ground clearance?

ZeForce
12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1463564

dudeling7
12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
looks like rage header wins - gives the best overall mid-range gain while only just making slightly less total power.

also probably half the price of a DTR

fatboyz39
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
1st ones look like SMSP tri-y style headers...

NSPYRE
12-11-2008, 05:40 PM
yeah, rage ftw... US$650 not including shipping which i guess is another US$200 or so. that hurts considering the state of the economy... :(

ZeForce
12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
There are cheaper ebay versions which would probably do the same job for 1/2 the price

fatboyz39
12-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Rage headers are the same production headers as Buddy club ones.

NSPYRE
12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
There are cheaper ebay versions which would probably do the same job for 1/2 the price

yeah, was looking into that... the welds on some look pretty darn good...

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/60000086/Images/5/HDS-GSR-TY-2.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/8/9/8/9/6/webimg/174276202_o.jpg

aaronng
12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1463564
Too bad they didn't throw in a traditional 1-4 2-3 header into the mix.

ZeForce
12-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Too bad they didn't throw in a traditional 1-4 2-3 header into the mix.

True, but I have seen a few other header tests where the hytech performs better than the Toda header which is one of the best traditional 1-4 2-3 pairing

Speaking of which......

http://g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184246

Slaz
13-11-2008, 12:47 PM
True, but I have seen a few other header tests where the hytech performs better than the Toda header which is one of the best traditional 1-4 2-3 pairing

Mainly on bigger engines will you see a replica out do a toda or the toda copy as in this thread but as per a few engines getting round, still make good usable power on bigger engines, replica's are bang for buck, you cant compare a mass produced item to compete to a custom made to suit your set-up, got to ask yourself, is the rest of the engine good enough to warrent spending the money and the wait involved with a custom.

pwr2w8
14-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Rage headers are the same production headers as Buddy club ones.

How do you know this, is it a true statement or just assuming.

ZeForce
14-11-2008, 11:39 PM
How do you know this, is it a true statement or just assuming.

They are the exact same piece, just rebranded and sold for a few dollars more... my header is rage

TODA AU
15-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Mainly on bigger engines will you see a replica out do a toda

To date, this is an internet myth.
Where are these "Bigger Engines" with replica headers that punch out these big numbers?
Anyone....
Anyone....
LOL...

Now though I prefer our TODA product over the leading American products,
It has to be said, the genuine Hytech headers really are an exellent product and the same can be said for the headers produced by SSR.
These guys know their shit & produce top shelf parts.

Then there are these header clones or coppies...
In my experience, they don't live up to the names they pretend to copy.
They're just not all that at all...
If you're on a turd skinner's budget, sure... There's value there.
If you're after the best... Save up & buy it.

ZeForce
15-11-2008, 02:11 PM
To date, this is an internet myth.
Where are these "Bigger Engines" with replica headers that punch out these big numbers?
Anyone....
Anyone....
LOL...

Now though I prefer our TODA product over the leading American products,
It has to be said, the genuine Hytech headers really are an exellent product and the same can be said for the headers produced by SSR.
These guys know their shit & produce top shelf parts.

Then there are these header clones or coppies...
In my experience, they don't live up to the names they pretend to copy.
They're just not all that at all...
If you're on a turd skinner's budget, sure... There's value there.
If you're after the best... Save up & buy it.

Im not knocking the Toda header at all, it is one of the best off the shelf headers you can get. I would actually prefer one over my "hytech production header" simply for the better ground clearance, regardless of any power gains/losses. But in my opinion $1400 is just a ridiculous amount to spend on a header for a street engine. I paid less than AU$700 for my rage/hytech header, no fitment issues and the quality was awesome. Moreover, I seriously doubt there would be very much difference in performance compared to a Toda header and even if there was I dont think it would be noticeable enough on the butt dyno to justify spending twice as much.

Just my 2c worth

pwr2w8
15-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Im not knocking the Toda header at all, it is one of the best off the shelf headers you can get. I would actually prefer one over my "hytech production header" simply for the better ground clearance, regardless of any power gains/losses. But in my opinion $1400 is just a ridiculous amount to spend on a header for a street engine. I paid less than AU$700 for my rage/hytech header, no fitment issues and the quality was awesome. Moreover, I seriously doubt there would be very much difference in performance compared to a Toda header and even if there was I dont think it would be noticeable enough on the butt dyno to justify spending twice as much.

Just my 2c worth

Well said, ill have to agree with ZeForce, is there any proof toda headers make more power than these replica's

fatboyz39
15-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Toda headers work great on a b16a, well of the best headers for b16a. Anything bigger like 1.8L and 2.0L the hytech tri-y headers out performs it.

TODA AU
17-11-2008, 10:16 PM

Just my 2c worth

I don't think we’re not on the same page here,
The thread is about unconventional interference headers.
I merely stated I prefer the TODA product. But I didn’t expand further than that.

The point I was making was that these production or knock-off headers they are not as good as the real deal they pretend to imitate.
This is particularly so when capacity, compression & cams are brought into the mix.
If you really want a really good unconventional interference header…
Buy the SSR or Hytech custom product.
The reason they works well is not just the pipe size & lengths.
It’s the attention to detail in the stepped primaries.
Without functioning stepped primaries, this design just falls down.
(aka cheap knock-offs)

As for whether you’d notice the difference swapping to a TODA header,
Actually, I know you would… & it’s the part throttle power & response you’d notice the most.
But this is digressing & off topic.

As for my stance on the performance of these “real” headers…
This isn’t a half baked opinion that I just made up,
It is an opinion is based on tuning many, many cars with loads of different combinations with every header under the sun over many years.
& flying in the face of internet myth, I can state as fact, of all of the larger B-series engines I’ve seen, the best performing ones have used TODA, SSR or Hytech headers.
To date, I’m yet to see a copy or replica header that impresses.
This is in relation to engines of 1800cc & larger, up to say 2150cc.
Our Super Sprint EG is 1 good example.
In any case, regardless of what I say, the copy headers will still flood the market,
People will still buy & use them.
I feel it really aught to be clarified though, if you spend a little more on the real thing…
It is actually worth it.

As a side note, it’s interesting to notice both SSR & Hytech use conventional (mathematically correct) interference headers for the other engine types they support.;)

ZeForce
17-11-2008, 10:31 PM
As for whether you’d notice the difference swapping to a TODA header,
Actually, I know you would… & it’s the part throttle power & response you’d notice the most.
But this is digressing & off topic.

Of course you're gonna say that, it would hurt sales if you agreed with me....

But if you have any spare Toda headers lying around and are willing to send them to me for free, Im willing to put your claim to the test

TODA AU
17-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Of course you're gonna say that, it would hurt sales if you agreed with me....

But if you have any spare Toda headers lying around and are willing to send them to me for free, Im willing to put your claim to the test

Actually you said you doubt that there would be much difference...
This would indicate an opinon based on a guess...
From my experience, I could confirm otherwise,
So, you can take that as advise or not...

As for spare headers to send to you for free so you can test them...
LOL... No, when they stop working, they'll stop selling.

delsol9000rpms
17-11-2008, 11:57 PM
But if you have any spare Toda headers lying around

lol i dnt think anyone would just have some spare TODA headers lying around and i dnt think they would be willing to give them away for free lol ahahah

e240
18-11-2008, 01:20 AM
LOL...of course not...maybe a tri Y perhaps..LOL.

fatboyz39
18-11-2008, 07:03 AM
i would put money down if you installed the BIG tube REPLICA header onto Leo EG it'll make MORE power then the toda headers.

bennjamin
18-11-2008, 08:45 AM
i would put money down if you installed the BIG tube REPLICA header onto Leo EG it'll make MORE power then the toda headers.

ill put money down that in a few months , the rep. header will fall apart or crack at the seams etc.:p

pwr2w8
18-11-2008, 10:18 PM

i think this should be done, and get an independant test done by a different tuner, it will be unfair for toda to tune.

Any other tuners interested, this will put this argument to bed

delsol9000rpms
18-11-2008, 11:16 PM
wow i dont think adrian really wants or needs to prove himself.... mmm...

TODA AU
19-11-2008, 11:13 AM
i think this should be done, and get an independant test done by a different tuner, it will be unfair for toda to tune.

Any other tuners interested, this will put this argument to bed

For a start, I don't need to prove myself to you or anyone else for that matter.
I do this for a living & we build & tune some of the most powerful B-series in the country.
Not all of them use TODA headers, but the majority do…
Why, because they are still good value when compared with the top shelf US headers.
I did say, If you’re on a tight budget, the copies represent reasonable value.
If you want the best however, it has to be said. They are not it.
I didn’t put TODA at the top of the heap. I also mentioned 2 other manufacturers who in my experience make truly 1st class headers.
From my experience, the Tri Y replicas & copies are poorly made with non-functioning anti reversion steps.
Without the correct function of these stepped primaries, this design just doesn’t punch out the power the myths online suggest it does.
From experience, I'm telling you the replica Tri Y headers are more smoke & mirrors than substance. In that, I mean they are not really any better than other headers for a similar price.
Again, take it as advice or don't.
If you're in the market for a Tri Y from the US, I suggested saving your money & getting a real one as the difference is chalk & cheese.
But if you don't want to believe me, hey, don't...

As for letting someone else tune our car… LOL…
We just won a championship with it & it seems that a few of you online have this moronic mind set that by changing to a different header we’re suddenly going to reach nirvana, with untold horsepower erupting from the engine.
Quite frankly, at the level this engine is at, it just isn’t going to happen…
Further, I'm not about to let someone else go & blow our engine just for the sake of appeasing a small group of closed minded internet mechanics.

Some times I wonder why I bother…

mocchi
19-11-2008, 11:27 AM
since both are sequential, id choose hytech replica.
its stepped header
smoother transition on primaries to secondaries to collector.

i believe copies and original doesnt make a difference.
what matters is material used and design.

stop fighting peeps lol.

geeang
20-11-2008, 04:04 PM
For a start, I don't need to prove myself to you or anyone else for that matter.
I do this for a living & we build & tune some of the most powerful B-series in the country.
Not all of them use TODA headers, but the majority do…
Why, because they are still good value when compared with the top shelf US headers.
I did say, If you’re on a tight budget, the copies represent reasonable value.
If you want the best however, it has to be said. They are not it.
I didn’t put TODA at the top of the heap. I also mentioned 2 other manufacturers who in my experience make truly 1st class headers.
From my experience, the Tri Y replicas & copies are poorly made with non-functioning anti reversion steps.
Without the correct function of these stepped primaries, this design just doesn’t punch out the power the myths online suggest it does.
From experience, I'm telling you the replica Tri Y headers are more smoke & mirrors than substance. In that, I mean they are not really any better than other headers for a similar price.
Again, take it as advice or don't.
If you're in the market for a Tri Y from the US, I suggested saving your money & getting a real one as the difference is chalk & cheese.
But if you don't want to believe me, hey, don't...

As for letting someone else tune our car… LOL…
We just won a championship with it & it seems that a few of you online have this moronic mind set that by changing to a different header we’re suddenly going to reach nirvana, with untold horsepower erupting from the engine.
Quite frankly, at the level this engine is at, it just isn’t going to happen…
Further, I'm not about to let someone else go & blow our engine just for the sake of appeasing a small group of closed minded internet mechanics.

Some times I wonder why I bother…

It's posts like these, that provide backup and real experience, that really help us.
If you guys are going to argue for something, then you really need something to back it up. If you honestly think someone is wrong then just go and use the headers you think is best and forget what the other person thinks.

Big ups to TODA_AU, very inciteful and honest post, wouldn't have it any other way :thumbsup:

TheSaint
13-03-2009, 02:17 AM
respect for Toda_Au, he has been on this site and helped me and other members with general honda tuning advice for many many years now

this may sound like a silly question, but is there a difference in sound?

for example the subaru equal length and unnequal length headers produce different sounds, honda vtec engines have a distinct sound to them - how does the difference in header design effect them?

tinkerbell
16-03-2009, 02:59 PM
my replica 4-2-1 tri-y sounds heaps different to my old JDM 4-1 ITR headers

almsot like a flat four...

Benson
16-03-2009, 03:18 PM
ill put money down that in a few months , the rep. header will fall apart or crack at the seams etc.:p

Our ones hasnt broken or cracked anywhere yet. Been used on the race track for over a year now.