PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sway Bar for Integra

GreekWarrior
12-11-2008, 08:32 PM
alright so basically I'm looking at changing my rear sway bar on my 94 integra.

Now, I've just put on my type r tein ss and thus have changed my lca.

So my question is what are my opinions when it comes to aftermarket sway bars?

I've read a few threads on here, and it seem whiteline is a favourite? 22/24mm?

Not sure which part specially though, is it basically a straight fit? because I've also read some people having trouble putting them on.

also is it necessary to get the adjustable bar or is that just an option?

hope that all made sence, cheers lol

Sydsyd
12-11-2008, 09:54 PM
DC2/4s and EGs need to use rear subframe reinforcement when using rear swaybars as thick as DC2R ones (23-24mm), something like ASR brace...i think whiteline has subframe reinforcement kit that can go together with its thick rsb...

not sure about rsb being adjustable though...maybe others can help...

GreekWarrior
12-11-2008, 10:24 PM
ah k, so I do need a brace

dudeling7
12-11-2008, 10:46 PM
recommended that you use a brace, its better than tearing out a subframe and needing to reweld a new one in place....

theres a few kits such as ASR, Beaks, Whiteline, and other US products that you can use depending on your budget and setup.

ASR is probably the most reliable as i have not heard of subframe failure when it has been used.

in regards to what sway bar to use, i would recommend an ITR 22mm or 23mm one as they are easy to source second hand. or you could buy a whole package such as the ASR one that comes with everything (reinforcement brace, swaybar, brackets, bushings etc)

GreekWarrior
12-11-2008, 11:01 PM
well if I get the brace I might as well get the package.

are they easy to install? straight on or do I have to do a bit of "modifying"

and when you say tear out the subframe, is that under normal use or hard/track driving? :confused:

dudeling7
13-11-2008, 01:44 AM
its pretty easy if you have a ratchet set.

you just need to remove your old sway bar and sway bar mounts and Endlinks.

If you get an ITR rear sway bar all you need to re-use the bushings on the end of your old sway bar, just pry them out - use some wd40 if its not coming out easily.

then pop the bushings into the ends of the ITR sway bar.

Remove the LCA's

Then you bolt on the ASR brace using the provided screws and brackets.

Bolt the ITR sway bar onto the ASR with the D brackets and D bushes (you may need to buy separately as you cant use the old one for your 14mm sway bar - too small)

LUBE WELL BUSHES WELL!

Bolt on the LCA's

Bolt up the end of the sway with your end link then bolt the end link onto the LCA.

all done :)

in relation to the subframe tearout im not exactly sure but it has happened to some members....

GreekWarrior
13-11-2008, 05:47 PM
ah k cool

EGB18CT
13-11-2008, 06:59 PM
use the pole inbetween the two weights from the barbell hahahahah :P

Q_ball
13-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Wait... you said u changed ur LCAs to DC2R ones yeh?
Then there's no need for the ASR brace... should bolt up with the stock ITR one afaik...

Im pretty sure about that.. someone correct me if im wrong - brain might be fried >.<

Chi
13-11-2008, 07:06 PM
DC2R rear sway bar will bolt up to DC2 VTiR as long as you have EG6/DC2R rear LCA.

You may need the end links and D brackets as well for better fitment.

You need the ASR brace so it prevents the subframe from being torn.

They do not make a ASR brace for the DC2R and the DC2/EG ASR brace will not fit on the DC2R subframe ( you dont need one for the DC2R as the rear subframe is quite strong unlike EG/DC2/4 )

Q_ball
13-11-2008, 07:08 PM
^ Chi, so regardless of LCAs being swapped over to DC2R ones on the DC2/4 - it still needs the ASR brace to fit an ITR sway?

Chi
13-11-2008, 07:09 PM
^ Chi, so regardless of LCAs being swapped over to DC2R ones on the DC2/4 - it still needs the ASR brace to fit an ITR sway?

DC2 doesnt need it, but you will be stupid to not have one.

Off memory i think you definately need the ASR brace for EG/DC4 to fit the DC2R RSB or custom bushings / brackets to push it further out.

Cost of ASR brace compared to repairing torn subframe.

Easy choice.

Either do it right first time or dont do it at all.

nd55
13-11-2008, 07:23 PM
> and when you say tear out the subframe, is that under normal use or hard/track driving?

on civics, anything more than a 14mm (VTi spec) rear sway will crack the subframe with regular driving.

Nick.

PS. an ASR brace and an ITR 22m rear sway bar is the hot ticket IMHO. They're available as a complete kit with all the little fiddly bits, which is a bonus.

PPS. I believe the ASR brace in now available in black, if you want to avoid unwanted attention.

GreekWarrior
13-11-2008, 07:41 PM
wow I didn't realise the subframe was that weak :S

but yeah, so asr brace will fit dc2 with dc2r lca? that's all I'm worried about, like you said if the subframe is weak then I'd need to get one if I buy a thicker sway bar

use the pole inbetween the two weights from the barbell hahahahah :P

hahaha

Q_ball
13-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeh, generally speaking the subframe is weak as piss.. ive heard of thicker sways tearing them from simple day to day driving.
In saying that tho, there are the few that say that theyve tracked etc etc and have had no probs with out an ASR brace.

Feeling lucky GreekWarrior?

Chi
13-11-2008, 07:48 PM
wow I didn't realise the subframe was that weak :S

but yeah, so asr brace will fit dc2 with dc2r lca? that's all I'm worried about, like you said if the subframe is weak then I'd need to get one if I buy a thicker sway bar

You just answered your own question.

As I've said before either do it right or dont do it at all.

GreekWarrior
13-11-2008, 07:52 PM
haha, well I am pretty lucky :p

Alright cool, so looks like I'll be hunting for one of these kits

saxophonias
23-11-2008, 06:34 AM
i am also interested in getting the ASR complete kit. My ej9 doesn't have a rear swaybar. The front is 23mm. I intend on swapping the ek9 front swaybar and the 24mm rear swaybar kit along with the subframe.
At this point i would like to ask about the performance difference in car's balance. My set up is Buddy Club N+ with energy suspension bushings. My tires are 185-55-14.
I expect more rigid and agile handling and better steering response. Still, is the comfort of the ride going to be affected? My ride is already firm enough so i am afraid that it is going to get worse.
And something. This set up is prone to be oversteerish or understeerish?
Thanks in advance.

nd55
23-11-2008, 07:28 PM
[Only will respond in rough/generic terms... I don't have a EJ]

> i am also interested in getting the ASR complete kit.

and

> I intend on swapping the ek9 front swaybar and the 24mm rear swaybar kit along with the subframe.

24mm rear sway bar????

The hot/standad configuration is 26mm front (CTR) and 22mm rear (from an ITR). The 2mm difference in sway bar thickness will be a large difference on the road.

> At this point i would like to ask about the performance difference in car's balance.
> My set up is Buddy Club N+ with energy suspension bushings.
> My tires are 185-55-14.

The difference IMHO will not be that huge. I think you are tyre limited.

If you can jump to good 205mm 15inch tyres. about 2 degrees neg camber front/1 degree rear and the sway bars, I think you'll find it a good value upgrade.

> Still, is the comfort of the ride going to be affected?
> This set up is prone to be oversteerish or understeerish?

The beauty of sway bays is that they are fairly passive over bumps, and level the car through corners.

The negatives of sway bars are more weight transfer to the outer wheel, and make the car more prone to lift off oversteer.

Nick.

rbk_212
23-11-2008, 07:42 PM
im also looking to get sway bars for my dc2,

i was thinking whiteline, do they sell a complete kit that includes the bracing and all that? or do i have to source seperate parts from all over the joint?