PDA

View Full Version : Integra DC2 vti-R Engine Oil consumption

koevi
12-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey guys
I just serviced my car recently on its 5000km, i use Motul 4100 Turbolight engine oil. When i emptied out the old engine oil only 2lt came out of it when i had put in 4lt at the start.
There is no leakage or anything, is this because i vtec it alot? lol

chargeR
12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I suspect it is because you don't check your oil level often enough.

tekung89
13-11-2008, 11:23 PM
yep i guess u might not find it in a new car, but for a honda that is at a average age being in vtec here and there u'd wanna check the car every now and then for fluid loss . i check all of my fluids every week, radiator, brake, clutch, oil etc.

jus lets u know ur cars in good order to take out.

Sp00ny
15-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey guys
I just serviced my car recently on its 5000km, i use Motul 4100 Turbolight engine oil. When i emptied out the old engine oil only 2lt came out of it when i had put in 4lt at the start.
There is no leakage or anything, is this because i vtec it alot? lol

2ltrs is alot for 5000km's, its not something that means your engine is definantly on it's way out but all the same i would get compression test to get at least some sign of the condition your engine is in.

Also try a differant oil...such as OEM...that way you will find out if its the Motul and not have to spend much money. I have sometimes found that some peoples cars don't react to well with the additives in semi-synthetics and they tend to burn at a higher rate compared to Mineral/Full-Synthetic...of course this wouldn't be held true with ALL Semi-Synthetics just what my observations have lead me to believe.

More often thaten not it is a very small oil leak which is difficult to locate as the oil rarely leaks down to the sump/bottom of the engine...it burns/dissipates midway.

Commonly Known Leakages on the b18c:
- Distributor O-Ring seal
- Cam end Seal (aka Cam Cap)
- VTEC Solenoid O-Ring Set
- Valve Cover (Particularly the bolt seals)
- Stripped/worn Sump Bolt
- Oil Sump Gasket

NB: I had a rebuilt VTi-R (B18C2) and it's oil consumption was about 800ml every 6-7000kms. I started a thread on an american honda forum about people with similar issues and they all said for a B18C 800ml is very good. Any high reving/high compression engine tend to use alot of oil. I have a mate that has a V8 Commodore and he uses Motul changes it every 12,000 k's engine has 220,000 on it and doesnt burn one drop of oil.

If we knew this we would be able to help alot more:
How many km's has it travelled?
What API rating is the oil you are using? (Found on the back of your bottle) I presume Turbolight is 10w40 (from memory) which should burn less than a 10w30 so that could be slightly worrying.
How hard do you drive?

bennjamin
15-11-2008, 05:55 PM
thats around 2 litres over 5000ks , alittle high imo. Oil is used in everyday combustion and the harder you drive the car the more oil its likely to use

why do you use 10-40w oil ? try 10-30

Sp00ny
15-11-2008, 06:13 PM
thats around 2 litres over 5000ks , alittle high imo. Oil is used in everyday combustion and the harder you drive the car the more oil its likely to use

why do you use 10-40w oil ? try 10-30

The cheapest Semi/Full synthetic 10w-30 oil that motul has is a full synthetic (approx. $80) i think some people don't really know the differance and just think that 10w40 is close enough.

I too think its a little high; but bennjamin wouldnt a 10w40 be less likely to burn at operating temperature due to it's weight resulting in a 10w30 (generally speaking) could possibly burn more? Probebly be best to get a compression test IMO.

bennjamin
15-11-2008, 06:20 PM
wats wrong with a mineral oil ,such as FEO ? (10-30) its fantastic oil for standard and modified hondas alike. Change it every 5,000ks and all is good.
Back on topic , you are right that a thicker oil should have less consumption - driving habits are probably the largest influence on consumption - OP , monitor your consumption over the next 2500 or 5000ks

Sp00ny
15-11-2008, 06:24 PM
wats wrong with a mineral oil ,such as FEO ? (10-30) its fantastic oil for standard and modified hondas alike. Change it every 5,000ks and all is good.
Back on topic , you are right that a thicker oil should have less consumption - driving habits are probably the largest influence on consumption - OP , monitor your consumption over the next 2500 or 5000ks

Nothing; OEM FTW. I only use Royal Purple because I'm one of those people that can't sleep well unless you know your using the best...or close to it ;) lol. With certain things anyway.

I would suggest to the OP use OEM for next change with OEM Filter monitor oil consumption if continues investigate the common oil leaks i mentioned above.

VTECMACHINE
15-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Sp00ny I feel you! :D
Royal Purple FTW.

squish85
15-11-2008, 09:35 PM
you might have some more oil left in ur oil filter... (not saying that all of the remaining oil is there).. so u're actual oil lost is not that much.. 2L

koevi
16-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Its a 94 Vti-R, done 202,000 km and yea i do give it vtec alot lol, well im going to check oil levels every week now to see if its gone down or not. Good info there Spoony thanks man

aaronng
16-11-2008, 07:00 PM
You should check your oil level every 2 weeks.

If blowby is the cause of your oil consumption (oil pushed through the PCV and burnt in the combustion chamber), then 10w-30 and 10w-40 will burn a similar amount in that particular engine.

B18cEG
17-11-2008, 10:42 PM
You should check your oil level every 2 weeks.

If blowby is the cause of your oil consumption (oil pushed through the PCV and burnt in the combustion chamber), then 10w-30 and 10w-40 will burn a similar amount in that particular engine.

Blowback through the PCV is a great point, if u have the know-how undo ur throttle body and look into ur intake manifold and wipe ur finger inside it, notice how there is alot of oil/gunk on the walls of the manifold, i would say that everyone with this same problem/issue should invest in a oil catch can, they do a great job. Also get a compression test to get a good idea of the condition of ur rings.

Good luck man

rbk_212
28-11-2008, 09:07 AM
my dc2 uses hardly any oil, i check it regularly on the dipstick

the oils fully synthetic 10W-40

is that normal?

aaronng
28-11-2008, 09:27 AM
my dc2 uses hardly any oil, i check it regularly on the dipstick

the oils fully synthetic 10W-40

is that normal?

That's better than normal. If my dc2 didn't burn any oil, I'd be happy.

rbk_212
28-11-2008, 11:55 AM
That's better than normal. If my dc2 didn't burn any oil, I'd be happy.

haha hooray for me!

previous owners must have taken care of my baby :)

sammy342
28-11-2008, 04:15 PM
i thinks its normal my b18 non vtec burns heaps of oil if i am constantly high reving one week like a 800mls is missing but if i cruise around it will not even use a drop the whole week i rekon it is in the way u drive also if u use ur gears to slow down that burns heaps aswell too... valve stem seals can casue loss of oil too i just put new ones in but i havent had them in long enough to tell if it has made any improvment

rbk_212
28-11-2008, 06:54 PM
^will downshifting through gears really cause oil to burn faster?

Sp00ny
28-11-2008, 07:43 PM
^will downshifting through gears really cause oil to burn faster?

To an extent...It will as opposed to shifting into neutral and using the brakes as when you use the engine to slow down the engine increases in rpm (naturally) thus causing higher oil pressures etc.

Honda's do tend to burn alot of oil if driven hard expessially at high rpm, im sure it's similar with other cars too.

chilli
18-12-2008, 04:44 PM
i think it depends alot of the km's on the car and how much you use high revs. ie. high km on engine + thin oil + high vtecing = faster oil burning.

Maybe try using thicker oil to reduce consumption.

my vtir is on 123xxx km but doesnt use much oil

night_wolf
22-12-2008, 05:59 AM
to be honest with my car iv noticed that every time i use motul i have high oil combustion where as if i use a full syntech oil (cheaper too :D) it doesnt burn up as much. not that im saying motul is a bad oil dont get me wrong.

i love driving at high revs so i always go with a 10w-40. just in case you didnt know koevi 10w is the viscocity of the oil before heating up. 40 is the viscocity of the oil after heating up. so best pick one that suits your driving style. try a full sync oil 10w-40 and see if your burning up more oil.

1990B18A
22-12-2008, 08:04 AM
hi guys im a diesel fitter by trade and it sound to me like these oils Ur running are to thin 4 are car that's done 150 000ks or so i have a da9 which i use a 15w 50 mobile one and i don't use a drop if i use 10ww 40 magnatec i use oil not 2lt in 5000ks but that's a lot 4 any car unless turbo. as engines wear u use more oil that's why i changed viscosity is just takes a little more before it thins out only thing mobile 1 is $12 a litre hope this helps

VTECMACHINE
22-12-2008, 02:22 PM
110,000km's, B18C7... tracked quite often. Doesn't burn a drop... even on the track. I <3 my DC2R :D

night_wolf
22-12-2008, 04:32 PM
hi guys im a diesel fitter by trade and it sound to me like these oils Ur running are to thin 4 are car that's done 150 000ks or so i have a da9 which i use a 15w 50 mobile one and i don't use a drop if i use 10ww 40 magnatec i use oil not 2lt in 5000ks but that's a lot 4 any car unless turbo. as engines wear u use more oil that's why i changed viscosity is just takes a little more before it thins out only thing mobile 1 is $12 a litre hope this helps

well heres a question? do you stay on high revs or low revs. that does in turn make up a difference. besides a 15w-50 is a little to thick to run on high revs. it also comes down to how often you service your car to br0. if a 5k service is done all the time id always stick with 10w-40. besides whats wrong with magnatec??????? :eek:

1990B18A
23-12-2008, 05:50 PM
magnatec just seems a bit to thin 4 my Eng ive done 199 xxx and i give it it a bit of a hard time and its not vtec but just going with my experience and i ran 10w 40 used oil. now run 15 50w its fine no smoke nothing and i do a service about every 7500ks just my 2 cents

infurNOS
02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
i got a b18c2 in my eg
and i burn a lot of oil, just under 1L every 1000-1500kms.
i did a dyno test and the engine is making power
i did a compression test and its 230PSI across all cylinders
i tried different oils
10-30,10-40 and now a 15-50 which isnt burning as much, but still a decent amount.
then engine has 210xxxkms on it
so i think for the kms and how hard i drive it, the engine does burn a lot of oil.
usually at High rpms the piston rings vibrate letting oil to seep through which aids in oil being burnt and lost, also doesnt help when u thrash ur car cold.

Sp00ny
03-03-2009, 01:51 AM
i got a b18c2 in my eg
i tried different oils
10-30,10-40 and now a 15-50 which isnt burning as much, but still a decent amount.
so i think for the kms and how hard i drive it, the engine does burn a lot of oil.
usually at High rpms the piston rings vibrate letting oil to seep through which aids in oil being burnt and lost, also doesnt help when u thrash ur car cold.

Also as I mentioned in one of my previous posts a while back on this forum... the 'B' series engines are notorious for poorly designed oil rings/oil ring failure. Expessially approaching/over 200,000kms...... The only real thing burning oil effects is power (slightly), emissions and the cost of oil...

I must say a 15w50 is a VERY high viscosity for a honda engine....i only usually see that being used for Holdens...lol

aaronng
03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
i got a b18c2 in my eg
i tried different oils
Have you replaced your PCV valve in the last 100,000km?

infurNOS
03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Have you replaced your PCV valve in the last 100,000km?

hey
no i havent replaced the PCV valve, i tired different oils and went to supercheap, repco etc to see what oils they recommend, and their charts say 15w 50. Do you guys think its too thick,a nd i should stay with 10-40?

Sp00ny
04-03-2009, 01:50 AM
hey
no i havent replaced the PCV valve, i tired different oils and went to supercheap, repco etc to see what oils they recommend, and their charts say 15w 50. Do you guys think its too thick,a nd i should stay with 10-40?

As aaronng suggested, change your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve and monitor oil consumption for differance. 1L is alot over 1000kms...

My WRX after 2800kms is still at the exact same level i filled it at...sitting @ 152,000kms on the dial...gotta love low-revving low static-comp machines for that lol...

If I were you I would:
- Change PCV Valve & Inpect intake manifold/vacuum lines for oil deposits...
- Check exhaust gases for Blue Smoke on cold start-up (sitting over night)
- Check exhaust gases while accelerating (blue smoke)... (Have a friend outside the car)
- Go over the engine for oil leaks: some common problem areas...
- Distributor O-Ring
- Valve Cover Gasket
- Sump Gasket
- VTEC Solonoid Seals
- Cam Seals (Very Common)
- Oil Filter (kind of obvious)
- Stripped Sump Bolt/Poor Washer Contact

If you find your car emits blue smoke upon start up it is most likely your Valve Stem Seals...if it blows blue smoke upon accelleration then it is most likely your oil rings are on their way out...

Simple Tests that costs next to nothing to diagnose...and to fix if your handy with basic tools and can read a Workshop Manual