PDA

View Full Version : CU2 - Lumpy Steering problem

binhcat
14-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I've been driving my new Euro for about a couple of months now and notice a slight problem with the steering. This occurs for me mainly when steering left.

Whenever steering left I feel torque steer when the wheel turns back to the centre position. I believe this happens when I go slow or fast around a corner. Happens at tight corners and round-a-bouts so steering less I still encounter this. The feeling is like when you drive with both of your wheels on the tram track.

I have occasionally felt it when steering right but very vague so that isn't my concern. Mainly left steering only.

Spoke to a friend who works at Honda HQ in Tullamarine and he said it was a known issue with a few euros. Good news is Honda Japna are working on away to fix this problem. The term the service guys used to described this problem was 'LUMPY STEERING' usually happens if something in the steering is too tight.

So I was unfortunately to buy a dud one.

Does anyone have the same problem?

MiSloVic
14-11-2008, 04:25 PM
'lumpy steering' was common in the old ES civic EPS as well.. usually happen at parking speeds, and when your are swirling the steering too quickly... thought Honda would have spend the last 6 years resolving this..

aaronng
14-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Could also be influenced by the left side driveshaft being shorter than the right side which has a middle shaft.

imo
15-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I had the same problem mate. For me it becomes apparent during high speed conering but seems to be lessening with time. I have 650 on the clock now and by the time I hit 1k I hope it will be gone. Feels like a tight steering box to me.

binhcat
16-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I had the same problem mate. For me it becomes apparent during high speed conering but seems to be lessening with time. I have 650 on the clock now and by the time I hit 1k I hope it will be gone. Feels like a tight steering box to me.

I was advised to keep driving it and wear the steering in and if the problem persist get it looked at 1k service. I already done 4k on the clock and is still there. Called up my local service centre and they said there isn't anything they can do until Honda Japan sends them a bulletin. Hopefully they come up with a fix by my next service.

Keep my posted of your problem goes away when you hit 1k.

SPQR
17-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I was advised to keep driving it and wear the steering in....

Lol lol lol. Not at you but the dorky dealer who said such a stupid thing.

imo
17-11-2008, 11:28 PM
850 on the clock now and it looks like the problem has gone for good.

Thinking back the problem actually seemed to suddenly disappear after I did a few hot laps around the local hills to fully test out the car before my 1000k service / complaint session. Possibly the wonderful suspension / steering of the car need a bit of force on it to blow out the cobwebs.

I also got VSA to activate a few times to make sure it works (or is even installed on our cars). As well as blinking at you it definitely takes control of the accelerator… perhaps it has some relation to the electrically actuated steering also.

You could try turning VSA off for a day or two and see if that makes the problem go away. Could be it... I really have no idea but deactivating the VSA will at least eliminate or confirm it as the culprit.

I also tested the ABS, vtec, tiers, rev limits etc but I doubt they are related to the steering issue in anyway.

I hope you work this one out soon mate. It’s a really awesome car to drive both day to day and when you want to have some fun. The steering issue really detracted from that when I had it so I feel for you.

binhcat
19-11-2008, 10:11 PM
hmmmm... if that solves the problem then im going all out when turning..this problem is the last thing I want on my mind when corning at high speeds

I will try your solution and hopefully it does go away..

Type R Positive
20-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Mine never felt 'lumpy' as such. Just weird at first. I like the way it feels. So smooth.
Electronic steering can be tuned, so if it is a problem, they can fix it.

imo
20-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Well took my car for it's 1000km service. On the way there I went through a roundabout and the stearing tracked on the curve like when I first got the car.... so for 400km nothing and then once on the 5km drive to the dealer.

Will keep me eye on it.

tony1234
20-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Mine never felt 'lumpy' as such. Just weird at first. I like the way it feels. So smooth.
Electronic steering can be tuned, so if it is a problem, they can fix it.
It seems to me that it's something you need to get used to.A different feel,electronic vs.conventional steering.

Type R Positive
20-11-2008, 12:27 PM
It seems to me that it's something you need to get used to.A different feel,electronic vs.conventional steering.
Yeah, it's kind of like one of those playstation force feedback steering wheels.

eumach
27-04-2009, 04:32 AM
I've been driving my new Euro for about a couple of months now and notice a slight problem with the steering. This occurs for me mainly when steering left.

Whenever steering left I feel torque steer when the wheel turns back to the centre position. I believe this happens when I go slow or fast around a corner. Happens at tight corners and round-a-bouts so steering less I still encounter this. The feeling is like when you drive with both of your wheels on the tram track.

I have occasionally felt it when steering right but very vague so that isn't my concern. Mainly left steering only.

Spoke to a friend who works at Honda HQ in Tullamarine and he said it was a known issue with a few euros. Good news is Honda Japna are working on away to fix this problem. The term the service guys used to described this problem was 'LUMPY STEERING' usually happens if something in the steering is too tight.

So I was unfortunately to buy a dud one.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Hello binchat,

Are there any news on your "LUMPY STEERING" problem?

My CU2 Executive Navi has the same problem. The dealer have tested the car but they can not feel the problem.
I must admit that the problem have decreased (or I am getting used to it) but it's still there.

binhcat
27-04-2009, 11:05 PM
No news mate..

The problem is still there but not as frequent. Just like you the Honda service guys could not feel or maybe chose not to admit to it.

I have to take one of their demo cars out for a spin and see if the same things occurs.

eumach
28-04-2009, 05:29 AM
binhcat,

After reading your post I sendt the local Honda service manager a mail regarding the problem.

I was informed that lately there has been several complains with "Lumpy Steering" symptom. The problem has been identifed to fragment leftovers from the machining of the Steering rack.
Now I am waiting for approval from the central Honda service center to get the Steering rack replaced under warranty.

binhcat
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Awesome.. Contacting the service department now to get some information.
Do they have to identify the problem and make sure it exist or do they take your word for it?

eumach
05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
The service manager noted the serial number on my car, I got the impression that the problem was related to one of the first production series of the car.

binhcat
05-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Would you be able to find out how they determined that your was problematic and let me know?

The dealer ship wont simply replace my steering rack without identifying the problem first hand. boowhooo!!!

Perhaps I could get a contact number of your service guys and maybe they can get in contact with the service guys who's I'm dealing with my car so they can clarify it.

Look forward to your response.

binhcat
05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
eumach, just out of curiosity, are you actually from Norway?

eumach
05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I will check how they determinated the problem, but I am quite shure that they based it on the chassis number.

They mentioned some complaints from Sweeden as a reference, last week when I told him about your car he stated that there might be variation in the Scandinavian and Australian configuration.

Yes, I'm from Norway

binhcat
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Your cars are left hand drive right? We're drive on the right side down in Australia.
If you could find out more details about that for me, I would appreciate it.

eumach
05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, my cars are left hand drive.
I will check with the service manager how they deteminated the problem and keep you informed.

binhcat
02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Any updates eumach?

eumach
02-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Any updates eumach?

The Steering rack was repalaced 3 weeks ago. I immediately noticed the difference, I took the car for a longer trip this weekend and it felt like getting a new car!

binhcat
03-06-2009, 10:32 AM
The Steering rack was repalaced 3 weeks ago. I immediately noticed the difference, I took the car for a longer trip this weekend and it felt like getting a new car!

Did you find out how they determined your car was faulty without testing or experiencing the problem while taking your car out for drive?

The techs did not experience it when they took it for a spin..

Do you have the contact details for the service guy you dealt with?

aaronng
03-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Did you find out how they determined your car was faulty without testing or experiencing the problem while taking your car out for drive?

He's in Norway... you won't be able to repair your car under warranty there.

eumach
03-06-2009, 10:49 PM

They determined that the car was faulty based on the chassis serial number.
Non of the service guys that tested the car the first time I complained noticed the problem, I guess they were to hard on the steering wheel, the problem was only noticed when turning the steering wheel slowly.

The service guy did not want me to give out his contact detailes. The service request was managed by the central Honda service management.

binhcat
04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I was afraid you would say that...

Any chance of him checking my Chassis # to see if it is a faulty batch? I will provide # for him he can.

Do you know what the proper term for this problem is called or is it 'lumpy steering'?

eumach
11-06-2009, 07:31 PM

Any chance of him checking my Chassis # to see if it is a faulty batch? I will provide # for him he can.

Do you know what the proper term for this problem is called or is it 'lumpy steering'?

He did not check it him self, the Chassis # was sent to Honda Norway/Scandinavia.
How about your local dealership, can't they check your Chassis #?

He did not confirm that the problem is called Lumpy Steering. I nor did push him on the question, I was so happy getting the car fixed.

eumach
15-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Binhcat,

Take a look at this article, the steering problem has been identified in UK, the UK cars are right hand driven like yours.

"Technicians at Honda have solved the mystery of our Accord Tourer’s spooky steering, with an un-nerving ‘groove’ just off centre, not unlike the sensation of tramlining.
Forensic inquiries found that “the wrong kind of grease” was used on this early model’s steering rack, causing the turn-in “stickiness”.
The rack has been replaced and Honda wants Accord drivers affected by this problem to contact their dealers so it can be remedied. They emphasise that Accords have been affected on a “random basis” and it is not a safety issue."

http://www.businesscar.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=2&storycode=4564.

binhcat
05-07-2009, 08:02 PM
eumach,

Thank you so much for the link.

Lets see what those Honda service people got to say now.. Pricks!!